Bought Steve Pace's big book of x bombers & x fighters...f-19 image?

phrenzy

as long as all they ask me about is the air war...
Reaction score
I was at the other sit and space museum whole I was in the states recently (dragged a sister and girlfriend along to both, got kicked off the tour for making some corrections about the big black plane they have there, though generally the volunteers were truly excellent people).

Anyhow, it was around the time the forum lost Steve and when I saw the book in the gift shop I bought a copy and told the staff the to push it, see if they could keep up sales for as long and hard as they could, nobody told them apparently.

Anyway, the holiday was a little crazy and I didn't have time to read the book, but I'm home now and getting to peruse it (excellent book), the page on the f-19 had a little factoid that got to me and has stuck with me.

Last year I managed to write an article on Aurora fit University under the guise of open source intelligence gathering in an intelligence and security after the cold war class. I want making an argument for or against, that would have been too cheeky, but I got to chase down some interesting stuff all the same and got a great grade (I think I found a fellow enthusiast in my lecturer).

The point being one started collecting the hints and evidence for the internet's favourite snarks since then. I'm the book, and the point of the post, there's mention of a satellite image of the 309th's backyard with what looked like 2 giant f-19 restore models sitting next to each other.

I'm looking for that image.

I remember watching a fairly light hearted area 51 documentary on Nat Geo a while ago where former staff described making heat maps to create IR outlines of fantastical long super aircraft and then put propane heaters where the engines would have been whenever they thought a Soviet eye was paying over. I realise this could fall into that category, be a mock-up, static RCS test model or any other possibility but I'm interested in the historiography as much as anything.

One day I'll get around to writing an article on how some interesting things like this are lost or not so well publicized, but even the tiniest whif of a tenuous clue for other things get let into the echo chamber (a famous budget line springs to mind).

Anyone know where such things surface? I did a search but I probably missed something already posted. Apologies in advance for the long post for such a small request that might have been found with a better search.

Re: Bought Steve Pace's big book of x planes & x fighters...f-19 image?

Ok, I know it's a long story, but really nobody can even put me in the direction of somewhere to look or someone to ask? This one's bugging me.

https://www.amazon.es/Big-Book-X-Bombers-X-Fighters-Experimental/dp/0760349509

Are you looking for this book?

The tittle of your post is x planes and x fighters...

Sorry, I can't help you because I didn't bought it.

TL;DR I BOUGHT THE BOOK AND WANT THE F-19 SATELLITE IMAGE ALLUDED TO WITHIN.
Thanks for replying though, quite right about the title.

The "satellite image" is fake. It's overhead imagery captured by an aircraft from April 2005. Captured here: 32.150810 N -110.833320 W

The image is found here:

http://www.keiththomsonbooks.com/blog/f-19

Note how they try and make it look like something from Google Maps.

Confirmed shopped? Shame it slipped by Steve... Had my hopes up but it does make sense, they'd be buried in the other graveyard I'm Nevada under 20 get of Earth right?

Yes, definitely fake. You can find the original image in Google Earth in the historical imagery area.