Book detailing RAF bases?

Maury Markowitz

From the Great White North!
Reaction score
I write a lot about RAF radar systems. It is common to refer to the base where it was first built, like RAF Bard Hill. However, I find it very difficult to find anything about Bard Hill, what does exist on the web is highly fractured and mostly related to modern explorations.

Does anyone know of a good source for such information? I'm not looking for too much detail, something more along the lines of a "who's who in the RAF bases", perhaps a paragraph or two per base, with the main criterion being completeness in terms of all the bases being there.

It appears you want a list of bases for a particular time period, is that correct?

I have never seen such a work that lists every RAF site, there are books on airfields and airfield archaeology but no gazetter that I can think of.
RAF Web has a handy list but little detail on the smaller sites.

The book I have come across for radar sites is Building Radar, by Colin Dobinson, published 2010 by English Heritage.
For post-war sites and more detailed infrastructure details then I can recommend Cold War: Building for Nuclear Confrontation 1946-1989, by Wayne D Cocroft and P S Barnwell, published 2003 by English Heritage.

ISTR someone did a multi-volume work on RAF WWII bases, but even that may have been airfields only.

Does not cover non-flying bases, but Wg Cdr CG Jefford's "RAF Squadrons" lists all known RAF airfields (with squadrons) and also has location maps.