Bombs in engine nacelles?

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
How many different airplanes carried bombs in their engine nacelles?

Both Martin Mariner and Marlin carried bombs or torpedoes in their enlarged engine nacelles.
Grumman S2 Tracker ASW airplanes carry sona-boys in the rear end of their engine nacelles.

Not exactly the same, but the FW-200 sometimes carried bombs under the outer engine nacelle

Blackburn had suggested stowage in the engine nacelles for flying boat projects in the mid 1930s.

Australian CAC CA-4 and CAC CA-11 Woomera bomber prototypes 2 x 250 lb bombs in each nacelle bay.

In the attached image, bomb doors can be seen on either side of the undercarriage legs.

Attachments

• cac-woomera.jpg
    cac-woomera.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 128
I worked with a guy who said he had worked for On Mark. He said they were looking for places to put more fuel tanks and somebody walked up to an Invader's nacelle and looked into the gear well and said: "Look at all that room. Let's try putting a tank in there!" He said they put a tank in and did a retract test and crunched the tank.

I don't know for a fact that is true, but having seen what I have seen, I could believe it.

I worked with a guy who said he had worked for On Mark. He said they were looking for places to put more fuel tanks and somebody walked up to an Invader's nacelle and looked into the gear well and said: "Look at all that room. Let's try putting a tank in there!" He said they put a tank in and did a retract test and crunched the tank.

I don't know for a fact that is true, but having seen what I have seen, I could believe it.

A-26 Invaders have unusually long engine nacelles. What is installed between the firewall and the rear spar/main wheel pivots?
I understand that those extra long engine nacelles allow propellers to spin safely in front of the cockpit and the long nacelle "tail" is required to retract long landing gear legs straight aft.

The Ill-fated Saro Lerwick flying boat could carry up to 2,000 pounds worth of bombs or depth charges in its engine nacelles. Among other problems, Lerwicks sometimes suffered hydraulic failures that allowed bomb bay doors to randomly hang open in flight.

A bladder tank would have been less a problem.

Near the enemy, then retract for stealth.