Bomber A/B, Zerstorer, Volksjager programmes?

Bodmas

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
As a (possible) stimulus to Thread conversations...
Are there any books that Exhaustively cover the Bomber A/B Programmes; also the Zersrorer And Volksjager Programmes? I reckon these would be "best-sellers" amongst WWII aviation enthusiasts - especially if organized on the lines of:

Joachim Dressel & Manfred Griehl [trans M. Shields] (1999)
The Luftwaffe Album
Brockhampton Press, UK
[ISBN 1-86019-798X]

In which the book is, fundamentally, split into "Fighters" and "Bombers" (and, maybe, "Zestorers")

If nothing else, i reckon - to pursue, Historically, the various Programmes - it would make a Great book

Well, I can fully recommend the three-book-series "Geheimprojekte der Luftwaffe" by Dieter Herwig and Heinz Rode. The three volumes cover, respectively, fighters (incl. the "Volksjäger"), bombers (incl. the Bomber A/B program) and ground attack/special purpose/Kampfzerstörer aircraft.

If you're not comfortable reading German, the books are available from Amazon in an English translation (as are the original German language books, from Amazon.de) as "Luftwaffe secret projects", although I can't vouch for the quality of the translation.

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark

"... although I can't vouch for the quality of the translation."

If they use the term "Kampfzerstörer", the quality of the translation is
at least doubtful ... ;)

Lauge said:
Well, I can fully recommend the three-book-series "Geheimprojekte der Luftwaffe" by Dieter Herwig and Heinz Rode. The three volumes cover, respectively, fighters (incl. the "Volksjäger"), bombers (incl. the Bomber A/B program) and ground attack/special purpose/Kampfzerstörer aircraft.

If you're not comfortable reading German, the books are available from Amazon in an English translation (as are the original German language books, from Amazon.de) as "Luftwaffe secret projects", although I can't vouch for the quality of the translation.

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark
there are version english of Midland Publishing !

Jemiba said:
"... although I can't vouch for the quality of the translation."

If they use the term "Kampfzerstörer", the quality of the translation is
at least doubtful ... ;)

(To be spoken out very loudly while repeatedly banging the table, having first fixed a small piece of black duct-tape under your nose): "Zhe propper term for zhe airkraft zhat you Brittishers call a heavy fighter is zhe Kampfzerstörer! Verstanden, or do you vish for zhe total war ?" ;)

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark

Thanks everyone... i consider myself "told" (re. "Kamfzestorer" terminology)

LOL, Lauge...

I'm digging for the duct-Tape and practicing my best "Arnie" (faux Austrian) accent right now :p

Gentleman, this is a very serious forum and, no, we not just have a scientific,
but (especially with regards to the younger people), a clear educational responsibility !
As you can read every day in german newspapers, the germans are a dwindling
nation, so their language may be extinct in a future not too far away.
So, we should try to save this language for the generations still to come !

Thank you very much for your attention ! ;D

Ok, sarcasm out, back to business ... ;)

I can't remember any mistakes in the English translation of Ground Attack and Special Purpose aircraft I have. There is a fair amount of extra information included in the English version as well that emerged after publication in Germany (or the translator had some extra information himself). Its a good book but I'd be a bit wary of the text, especially the tone as they claim the German aircraft designers invented the MiG-15, the A-10 Thunderbolt and AWACS amongst other things. Lots of very nice pictures though.

The three "Geheimprojekte der Luftwaffe" books are in my opinion not much more than some info from Novwarra's "Die deutsche Luftrüstung 1933-1945" with new, fancy color drawings (and 80% less aircraft types/info).

Bodmas said:
As a (possible) stimulus to Thread conversations...
Are there any books that Exhaustively cover the Bomber A/B Programmes; also the Zersrorer And Volksjager Programmes? I reckon these would be "best-sellers" amongst WWII aviation enthusiasts -

if you can understand German

there is those books helpfull
Nowarra, Heinz
"Die Deutsche Luftrüstung 1933-1945" Part 1 to 4
Isbn 3763754644
1000 page with 700 Fotos and 2000 drawings.
i dont have it, but seems its the noplus ultra resource on WW2 German Aircraft !
http://www.amazon.de/Die-deutsche-Luftrüstung-1933-1945/dp/3763754644

Oki, sorry about the joking - back to seriousness...

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. It appears that i might have a lot of mooching around the (second - hand) bookshops to do; then a LOT of reading B)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but my understanding of the German language is very poor :-[
but thanks for the excellent links, all

The three "Geheimprojekte der Luftwaffe" books are in my opinion not much more than some info from Novwarra's "Die deutsche Luftrüstung 1933-1945" with new, fancy color drawings (and 80% less aircraft types/info).
The drawings of the Heinkel He 177B and He 277 on page 62 of Luftwaffe Secret Projects: Strategic Bombers 1935-1945 are adapted from the second volume of Die Deutsche Luftruestung 1933-1945 written by the late Heinz Nowarra. Note that the He 177B designs were incorrectly labeled "He 277B-5" and "He 277B-7", and that the He 277 (which had nothing to do with the He 177B) is the aircraft labeled "He 277B-6" in Nowarra's drawings. Moreover, Luftwaffe Secret Projects: Strategic Bombers 1935-1945 does not mention that the unnamed Blohm und Voss design, Junkers Ju 85, and Messerschmitt Bf 165 were the losing contenders for the Fernbomber contest won by the Heinkel He 177.

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark
The bookazines Luftwaffe: Secret Jets of the Third Reich and Luftwaffe: Secret Bombers of the Third Reich, but also the book Secret Projects of the Luftwaffe, Volume 1: Jet Fighters 1939-1945 provide extensive details on the Bomber B and Volksjäger program and the competing designs for those programs. On page 9 of Luftwaffe: Secret Bombers of the Third Reich, a list of designs for the Fernbomber (Bomber A) competition is provided, with a Blohm und Voss proposal, Henschel P.26, Junkers Ju 85, and Messerschmitt Bf 165 being submitted to the Fernbomber competition alongside the P.1041 (which became the He 177). Stay tuned for details on the contenders for the Fernbomber competition in the forthcoming book Secret Projects of the Luftwaffe, Volume 2: Bombers 1939-1945, because the book Junkers Ju 88, Volume 1: From Schnellbomber to Multi-Mission Warplane notes on page 26 that the Ju 85 was submitted to the Fernbomber requirement.

Back
Top Bottom