• XB-15.GIF
    XB-15.GIF
    45.2 KB · Views: 667
From Boeing Aircraft since 1916. Peter M. Bowers. Putnam

Attachments

• Boeing XB-15.jpg
    Boeing XB-15.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 550
... and another one from "Enzyklopädie der Flugzeuge" .
Difficult desision ... ;D

Attachments

• XB-15.JPG
    XB-15.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 528
From; B-17 Flying Fortress in detail & scale
XB-15tn.jpg

http://newsolidmodel.googlepages.com/XB-15.jpg

Is it true that the XB-15 and the B-314 flying boat shared the same wing and empennage?

Clioman said:
Is it true that the XB-15 and the B-314 flying boat shared the same wing and empennage?

Somewhere I read that thing, anyway wikipidia (for what it worth......) according with this theory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_314

Boeing XB-15 Artist's Concept Vintage Photo from 1934 found on eBay.

URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/BOEING-XB-15-CONCEPT-DRAWING-CIRCA-1934-VINTAGE-PHOTO_W0QQitemZ310199868737QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48395a5d41

Description:
An early vintage photo of the concept drawing of the Boeing Model 294 XB-15, probably dating to 1934. The original news release/caption is with the photo. I removed it many years ago to protect the photo. An original vintage black and white 8 X 10 photograph in perfect condition. The XB-15, a
one-off design by Boeing to meet a 1934 Air Corps request for a Long Range Airplaned Suitable for Military Purposes, was first designated XBLR-1 in 1934 and changed to XB-15 in 1936. It was the largest and heaviest aircraft ever built when it made its maiden flight 15 OCT 1937. The craft served as a research plane rather than the prototype of a series of aircraft and many of the lessons learned found their way into the Boeing 314 Clippers and B-17s of WWII. The aircraft served as a cargo carrier during WWII with the designation XC-105. It flew many missions before being scrapped at Kelly Field near the end of WWII. I don’t know about you, but I remember my first military duty as mundane and anything but memorable; but I always remember a retired Army colonel friend telling me that his first duty as an enlisted man was walking guard duty around the XB-15 with an empty Springfield. What a monster it must have seemed in 1937! This photo, like most of the 4000+ manufacturer, national archives, Air Corps, USAAF, USN, USMC and USCG aviation photos in my collection, came from author and pre-WWII USMC col. Robert Rankin in the early seventies. Col. Rankin acquired them in his research for various aviation articles from the thirties through the fifties. 1-2490 1-2490

Added from “Found on Ebay” thread

Attachments

• !BlqNy3!BGk~$(KGrHqYH-D!EtFg13Q-GBLch-mV(Ig~~_12.jpg
    !BlqNy3!BGk~$(KGrHqYH-D!EtFg13Q-GBLch-mV(Ig~~_12.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 196
Where to find B-15 interior photos?

Is for a future FS2004/CFS2 project.

Thank you in advance.

Pepe

Splendid! ;)

You actually posted the same link twice (lines 3 and 11). Perhaps there's another pic missing then? ;D

Stargazer2006 said:
Splendid! ;)

You actually posted the same link twice (lines 3 and 11). Perhaps there's another pic missing then? ;D
I removed line 3 - sorry. -SP

These leave little doubt as to why people immediately dubbed it a "flying fortress". It sure was the ticket!

Stargazer2006 said:
These leave little doubt as to why people immediately dubbed it a "flying fortress". It sure was the ticket!
It was the B-17 that got named Flying Fortress. -SP

Steve, I know why I said this, this was no mistake on my part. In another thread, I posted an image of the XB-15 that was published in a magazine of that time and carried the "Flying Fortress" monicker in the caption... And that was BEFORE the "XB-17" had even flown. Of course it was nowhere near official but it proves that the name was already made popular by the B-17's predecessor in the press before being adopted by USAAC.

Here's the article in question:

xb-15_fortress.jpg

Attachments

• XB-15 Flying Fortress.jpg
    XB-15 Flying Fortress.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 122
Stargazer2006 said:
Steve, I know why I said this, this was no mistake on my part. In another thread, I posted an image of the XB-15 that was published in a magazine of that time and carried the "Flying Fortress" monicker in the caption... And that was BEFORE the "XB-17" had even flown. Of course it was nowhere near official but it proves that the name was already made popular by the B-17's predecessor in the press before being adopted by USAAC.
I simply made a true statement. -SP

An article at "Klassiker der Luftfahrt".

Link: http://www.klassiker-der-luftfahrt.de/geschichte/flugzeuge/boeing-xb-15-teures-einzelstueck/579268
5 pictures: http://www.klassiker-der-luftfahrt.de/geschichte/flugzeuge/boeing-xb-15/579302/fsuebersicht

Attachments

• boeing-xb-15-cockpit.jpg.4525130.jpg
    boeing-xb-15-cockpit.jpg.4525130.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 211
Dear Skyblazer,

Although the XB-15 bore an earlier design number (294) than the XB-17 (299), IIRC, the XB-17 was completed and flew almost two years ahead of the XB-15. Thus, the XB-15 was not really the predecessor of the B-17. The article you refered to does not seem to be linked in your post.

Best regards,

Artie Bob

Artie Bob said:
The article you refered to does not seem to be linked in your post.

I have reattached the article in said post.

I imagine that 10 years is a long time to wait for an answer. I know I've said I don't object to posting on old topics, but I think this is marginally useful at best.

I disagree. I found the links interesting. And when it comes down to it, what, if anything, on our forum can be called "useful?"

Honestly, I enjoy finding a 10 year old thread that's been updated by a trickle. There's a certain charm about it that keeps sucking me back in. It's why I don't mind if it takes awhile for my threads to get attention, I know someone will stop by in a few years.

Last edited:
Here is a brief British Pathe newsreel on the Boeing XB-15 (USAAC 35-277; c/n 1964), showing the big beast taxiing and taking off for its first flight.

YouTube: British Pathé - "Giant Bomber" (1937)

I'm a brand new member to the forum & finding this thread, all the way in December of 2023, is an exciting find for me even now! The question I have is; Does anyone have anything on her once she was redesignated as the Boeing XC-105 & nicknamed "Grandpappy?" :D

Does anyone have anything on her once she was redesignated as the Boeing XC-105 & nicknamed "Grandpappy?" :D
These two photos show the Boeing XC-105 with its two-tone paint scheme:

Attachments

• 1513178_189522361253276_87215572_n.jpg
    1513178_189522361253276_87215572_n.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 53
  • aa20.jpg
    aa20.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 56