Boeing Counter-Electronics High Power Microwave Advanced Missile (CHAMP)

Dear Josh TN,
Up until 1960, both the USA and the USSR built numerous EMP simulators to test "hardened" military electronics.
Most used a stack of charged capacitor plates. Then they used explosives to instantaneously collapse the stack, releasing a huge electro-magnetic pulse. Being explosively initiated, they were only good for one "shot."
After 1960, the USA quit publishing results of ground-based EMP simulators. I doubt if they quit building EMP simulators, but they just quit publishing results.

A major advantage of High Pulse Microwaves is that they can be "fired" repeatedly during a single flight (e.g. targeting multiple cell phone towers).

Dear Josh TN,
Up until 1960, both the USA and the USSR built numerous EMP simulators to test "hardened" military electronics.
Most used a stack of charged capacitor plates. Then they used explosives to instantaneously collapse the stack, releasing a huge electro-magnetic pulse. Being explosively initiated, they were only good for one "shot."
After 1960, the USA quit publishing results of ground-based EMP simulators. I doubt if they quit building EMP simulators, but they just quit publishing results.

A major advantage of High Pulse Microwaves is that they can be "fired" repeatedly during a single flight (e.g. targeting multiple cell phone towers).
what are the main different between HPM and a simple high power noise jammer though?

Among other details I'm ignorant of, energy and duration. I think HPMs send their energy as a mili or mirco second burst all at once, generally driven off capacitors. There were also some ideas concerning explosively pumped emitters thrown around; I don't know how realistic those are. The best analogy off the top of my head is the difference between someone shinning a light in your eyes vs using a flash bang grenade.

I think it would be much harder to harden SAM than it is to hardern vehicle or fighter aircraft, so this CHAMP weapon could make a very good defensive system