Boeing Chinook Projects

60 tuned Ch-47F for Germany:

and Boeing has installed Maintenance Training Device for the H-47 at former Bitburg air base

View: https://twitter.com/boeingdefense/status/1656728495702016011?s=61&t=S3ZZSp5bvFyQavLM45JgpQ&fbclid=IwAR3Bt760vJMUZ4ziUx_Crh_Nl4mUJ_F_zIxI1FiCdOslM4GHo5eBGzveEJo

Though deal sitll not cut and dried

It is up to the Bundestag and Bundeswehr now

cheers

Quite a fearsome looking Chinook. I almost want to see it turned into a gunship like the ACH-47.

MH-47G is arguably the most high-tech helicopter on the planet with all of the new gear.

and here in UK, been approved for H-47ER purchase

cheers
Worth saying that this is the same order that was first announced in 2021, but was subject to review and much speculation last year - allegedly with Ben Wallace almost cancelling the order as being bad value for money. Interesting to see the added value in today’s release.

Interesting to read also that the order is needed to offset the loss in capacity from Hercules retirement.

The logic in that escapes me.

Interesting to read also that the order is needed to offset the loss in capacity from Hercules retirement.

The logic in that escapes me.
The argument will be that the continued operation of 1/2 of the Hercules fleet was primarily for special forces mobility. This buy is meant to be SF optimised, hence going for the long range fuel tanks to give something akin to a MH47-lite.

MH-47 is a great Special Forces platform. It can fly even greater distances with air refueling (usually provided by *cough* C-130). It can fly great distances at 150 knots. So, it isn't going long distances fast. If it is in theater, not sure there is a better platform. If you have to fly from, say Mildenhall to Niger to rescue humanitarian assistance folks you might want to use a C-130 or CV-22B. I don't say this to be critical of the decision taken on by the UK to buy Chinook for SOF operations, but more the decisions to retire all C-130. A400 is also a great aircraft but I suspect bit harder to maintain and certify the "normal" amount of special gear that usually ends up bolted onto Special Purpose aircraft.

Yes, none of them are substitute to the other. That's why it doesn't make much sense. You need C-130 and Chinooks.

Brits should probably have rejoined the joint C-130 Squadron with German and French forces.

MH-47 is a great Special Forces platform. It can fly even greater distances with air refueling (usually provided by *cough* C-130). It can fly great distances at 150 knots. So, it isn't going long distances fast. If it is in theater, not sure there is a better platform. If you have to fly from, say Mildenhall to Niger to rescue humanitarian assistance folks you might want to use a C-130 or CV-22B. I don't say this to be critical of the decision taken on by the UK to buy Chinook for SOF operations, but more the decisions to retire all C-130. A400 is also a great aircraft but I suspect bit harder to maintain and certify the "normal" amount of special gear that usually ends up bolted onto Special Purpose aircraft.
-47G pilots have to manage their gross weight very carefully because all the extra mission equipment makes empty weight much higher than a -47F. For basic hauling, the -47Gs are not ideal; they really need upgraded engines and debugged Advanced Chinook Rotor Blades.