Boeing 727 target drone carrier

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Pometablava is back to "research mode".

While diving into my magazine collection I found this enigmatic aircraft. At first sight I thought it was 727 Maritime Patrol or ASW but, after paying more attention, I see that it is not the case. The photo caption in the mag describes it as the Boeing 727M, a platform for long range missile launch but also configurable for other roles. The pic shows a powerful complement of missiles I can't identify, altough I have seen a similar configuration in some aerial targets.
BTW, it's my imagination or someone else can see the arrester hook?

I have found this info at Flaps magazine 1965, number 72, pg 119.

Anybody can add more info about the aircraft and its missiles?

Thanks a lot
Antonio

Attachments

• B-727M.jpg
    B-727M.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 986
Arresting hook or just the aft stairway door replaced by something more useful for this role?

I've modified the pic with powerpoint (enlarged and clearer, hope this is not illegal ???)

Attachments

• PB-727.JPG
    PB-727.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 727
Archibald said:
I've modified the pic with powerpoint (enlarged and clearer, hope this is not illegal ???)

Looks like a hook to me...

For arrested airfield landings, I hope!

Starviking

On the civilian B727, there is something on the bottom called the DB Cooper vane. The DB Cooper vane was a modification to the B727. It was a windmilling vane that, when there is airflow over the vane, will swing around and block the aft airstairs from deploying, so as to not permit a DB Cooper-esque hijacking again from going out the aft airstairs.

That is probably what you are seeing, the artists' impression of a B727, and he probably took a civilian version to model his - and after the DB Cooper hijacking, the vane named after him was added to the existing B727 fleet very fast, and added to all new production models as a standard item - not optional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Vane

Thanks a lot Dougsnow, it could be a possible explation.

(Although a carrier capable DC-9 COD project existed, it is difficult for me to imagine that B-727M Missiler landing on a carrier deck)

BTW, nobody has idea about the missile identity?

pometablava said:
The pic shows a powerful complement of missiles I can't identify, altough I have seen a similar configuration in some aerial targets.

Looks like a Firebolt.

twuav_02_05.jpg

But I'm unaware of a use for them apart from as targets...

A minor nit but Firebolt was this guy (XAQM-81A), the primary difference being the replacement of the liquid motor with a hybrid one and double the weight. And three more feet on the length. ;)

Attachments

• xaqm-81a.jpg
    xaqm-81a.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 493
Artist's impression of Boeing 727 target drone carrier press photo found on eBay.

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Boeing-727-Target-Drone-Carrier-Press-Photo-/200794131575?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item2ec0434c77

Attachments

• 6_13_308_img2328A.jpg
    6_13_308_img2328A.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 443
On this note, little something for your amusement:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-cia-proved-that-a-boeing-727-can-perform-air-drops-1566155708

Attachments

• zrkynqittspbdbnbsyks.jpg
    zrkynqittspbdbnbsyks.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 113