Bitcoin and cryptocurrency

What regulators? Cryptocurrency is an attempt to avoid regulation and oversight as experienced by banks. To win "investors" globally. Then those in charge of cryptocurrency exchanges begin to absorb money from all possible global sources and become the new banking and lending centers.

In July, Elon Musk sold 75% of his Bitcoin.

I think most people will prefer real money to invisible money operating in uh... unregulated ways.

dlobVvcEw-x8ZtPOxWSC7aJ8Hb5u8ieVDd7LZItfQfBVUi-p_cCX07GtY-zvTTqWGs9aSieYr19X3w=s640-nd-v1

Amid Ray’s first statements on the collapse of FTX, a jurisdictional fight over the company’s legal proceedings has emerged. Earlier in the week, officials in the Bahamas filed a Chapter 15 bankruptcy in a New York federal court asking a judge there to respect a liquidation effort that had commenced in the island nation.

At issue is an FTX subsidiary known as “FTX Digital” not involved in the US Chapter 11 case in which the Bahamas says significant customer assets reside. Ray on Thursday wrote in a court filing that the Chapter 15 case should be consolidated in the Delaware bankruptcy court.
New FTX chief says crypto group’s lack of control worse than Enron (ft.com, registration or subscription may be required)

I read one cheerleader who pointed out that the "industry" is still young. But unlike actual banks in the U.S. where deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, so-called crypto providers only offer better interest rates.

What's more, it's not clear who actually works for the company.

"The FTX Group’s approach to human resources combined employees of various entities and outside contractors, with unclear records and lines of responsibility," the bankruptcy filing explains.

"At this time, the Debtors [FTX] have been unable to prepare a complete list of who worked for the FTX Group as of the Petition Date, or the terms of their employment. Repeated attempts to locate certain presumed employees to confirm their status have been unsuccessful to date."

Nor does it appear the company had a functional accounting department. Ray says he's in the process of trying to produce reliable financial records but has outsourced this task because "The Debtors do not have an accounting department…"

Remember a few years back when some-one unkindly compared crypto-currency to the 'Wild West' era, when a zoo of local banks each issued their own scrip, but one fraud, oopsie or bandito raid could break them ??

Nah, we were assured: 'Crypto' is safe, safe, safe...

Except, of course, when it is not...

Must hope the eponymous Nork hackers are among the many 'out of pocket'...

Disclosure: I have never 'mined' Bitcoin etc, nor have I any exposure to 'Crypto'.
Since my first, modest, Gov.UK-backed SAYE investments were utterly 'eaten' by that bout of inflation in the late-70s, I have been very, very wary of the potential pitfalls, swindles and 'gotchas' of peroptimistic financial forecasting. Thus, in the mid-90s, when my wife and I needed a mortgage, I held out for a 'trad' repayment scheme rather than the then-fashionable 'endowment' variety. So, when the housing market etc dipped, and a lot of people fell into 'negative equity', we were unscathed. We very nearly had to use our modest savings to 'bail out' several badly-stung relatives...

Until they run out of money? I think they are defining a new version of insanity.

CRYPTO - FTX $32 Billion Collapse is Worst in USA History as no Cash, Cryptocurrency or Records

I was watching that and two earlier names from the history of large scale fraud popped into my mind, Ivar Kreuger (Wikipedia) and Horatio Bottomly, M.P (Yes he did get elected to parliament...) (Wikipedia), both of whom's methods SBF seems to have made use of.