Biggest mistakes in aviation enthusiasm. What do you now regret you threw away?

thewanderingmind

Werfless
Reaction score
:-[
Discovered the other day I had totally ***ed up while helping my son clean out the attic over my garage a few years ago. I had about five years' worth of Jane's International Defense Review (80-85) in a box that I had set to one side - I thought! Now that I'd joined this forum, I went up there and decided to get these down. Alas! Alack! Snicker-snack! I apparently had set them where my son was putting the things he was trashing, because they are no longer in that attic! Pain! Agony! Embarrassment!

About all I have left is a paperback of Wyler's Scale Aircraft Drawings, Vol 2 (If I remember right - it's at home, I'm at work), from sometime in the 40's. :'(

What similar "disasters" have you guys encountered since you joined this forum? I'd like to think I'm not the only dumb*** in this world! ;)

Bunch of B-2 photos signed by Irv Waaland, Northrop ATB chief designer, 'With best wishes' - he has sent it to Soviet Union youngster in 1990!
Went to 'Krylya Rodiny' (Wings Of Motherland) magazine editor-in-chief, and were lost (or stolen by him) - he died a year after, so nobody to ask about).

Scaled Composites ARES photo signed by Rutan. Just lost somewhere.

Re: Biggest mistakes in aviation enthusiasm. What do you now regret you threw a

Erm, I threw all my aviation books and magazines away at 20.

Now I've bought nearly all of them back, with interest :)

Paul.

When I was 7 years old - in august 1989- Voyager-2 made a flypast near Neptune. I collected tons of articles from newspapers... and lost them two years later.Over the following years, I devastated my room several times to retrieve this articles... but they are lost forever :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

1. I was so stupid to place a special issue on ”Aviakonstruktor A. S. Moskalyov” in hands of the German Mail. I’ve bought it in Moscow in 1999 and was so proud of having this rarity. Gone with the wind … :'(

2. False modesty: When I visited the EADS archive in Ottobrunn in 2001, I could not know this would be the first and only time to research the things inside. “Ich hätte den ganzen Laden kaufen sollen!” (... should buy the whole business/joint ...) - and we would have a nice time in the SPF ;).

I don't throw away ANYTHING, this is the reason why:

1) My wife at times menace me... ::)
2) i'm a recurring nightmare for the local firefighters station ;D
3) I say "I know I have it, but where?", that is for all practical purposes equal to "I threw away it.." :'(

Usually my problem is not "threw away" but "where the hell is it?". But today, after two hours of searching I must say, that I definitely lost my AIAA paper about Ariane 5 reusable flyback booster. :-[ :'( I know - its not the super-rare threasure, but...

F....ck... :eek: :eek: a flyback booster for Ariane V ? never heard about this before...

overscan said:
Erm, I threw all my aviation books and magazines away at 20.

Now I've bought nearly all of them back, with interest :)

Paul.

Same here. When I moved out from my parents place I got rid of almost everything I'd collected since I was a kid. Only thing I kept was a few old books, my Weapons and Warfare series, and some Militart Technology issues. And a couple Wings/Airpower magazines. 2nd dumbest thing was lending my Chuck Hansen nuke book to someone I ended up losing touch with.

Sleeping through the last time a Space Shuttle landed at Edwards Air Force Base.
I only lived a half hour away at California City in the Mojave Desert.