Bf 109 book by Lynn Ritger/Morton

Pasoleati

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
On 12 O'clock High forum there was a post indicating that a book on the Bf 109 by Lynn Ritger should be forthcoming from Morton. The link indicated 300 pages. The recent German Bf 109 "bible" has 1000 or so pages. I wonder does Ritger really go into design and technical details as deeply?

Lynn Ritger did two volumes of modeller oriented material on Bf109 variants some years ago. Possibly a redo?

......... I wonder does Ritger really go into design and technical details as deeply?
According to Amazon:

"In this new work, Lynn Ritger takes on the task of examining in detail the history of the Bf 109 family across its lifespan of operational service, from the first flight in 1935 to the last operational flight of a Spanish Hispano Ha 1112 in 1965. Drawing upon original documentation from archival sources including RLM meeting minutes and planning documents, intelligence reports, production records, factory handbooks, and front-line unit reports, Ritger traces the development and deployment history of the Bf 109, illustrating unrealized design proposals as well as production changes and the discussions surrounding those decisions, along with a detailed look at the use of the aircraft by operational units and the myriad finishes worn by the aircraft."

That sounds interesting but also very ambitious in no more than 300 pages, unless this book has few images.

"The recent German Bf 109 "bible" has 1000 or so pages. " - What book is this?

Good morning folks!

I'm probably the guy you want to ask about this. :)

A bit about the book: it is not a redo of my two earlier volumes, which were primarily modeler-centric. This is an entirely new work based on primary source factory and RLM documentation from the Bundesarchiv, NARA, the IWM, etc. The goal is to tell the story of the the development of the 109 airframe from it's first appearance in the Entwicklungsprogramm docs of 1934/35, up through the last postwar variants... and yes, they absolutely count as 109s, so their story deserves to be told. (Somewhat surprisingly, good primary source info on Avias and Hispanos is far more difficult to come by than it is for wartime 109s.) I will not be getting into operational usage or extensive coverage of flight test data - there are lots of good publications covering that info. The only profiles will be those documenting factory and type specific basic camouflage schemes rendered by Anders Hjörtsberg, whose work I trust implicitly when it comes to the subtle nuances of the 109, and there won't be line drawings like Vogt's book. However, there WILL be lots of photos, including document copies, and to Dagger's point above, the real challenge is to take this extensive history and boil it down to make it thorough, understandable, and not exceed 400 pages or so.

This book has dominated nearly every minute of my time since June 2022, and I've had to purchase a new 4 TB external drive just to hold everything I've amassed for it; and that of course does not count the decades of time I've invested in researching this type from every conceivable angle. I've had the great fortune to have the assistance of veterans, restorers, archivists, museum directors, and researchers in almost every corner of the world, and the goal is to produce nothing less than the single most comprehensive English-language work covering the 109's development and production yet written. And I'll go ahead and say this - I will doubtless miss some things. This topic is so vast, with primary source documentation spread across multiple continents, that there will undoubtedly be details which escape my attention. But if I do miss something, I guarantee you it won't be for lack of trying. :)

The goal is to have the manuscript done and delivered by mid-May, and I'm grinding away every single day on it... last I heard, the publication date is targeted for sometime in June.

So, back to it... thanks for your interest, and I sincerely hope you find the book interesting and useful once it's in your hands!

Best regards,

Lynn Ritger

Hi Lynn,

A bit about the book:

Thanks a lot, sounds like quite a different scope from Baumgartl's 1000-pager then! :)

If you plan on giving us a heads-up here when the book hits the (virtual) store shelves, that would be much appreciated ;-)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

The goal is to tell the story of the the development of the 109 airframe from it's first appearance in the Entwicklungsprogramm docs of 1934/35, up through the last postwar variants... and yes, they absolutely count as 109s, so their story deserves to be told.
How much early stuff have you found? Photos of the mockup? Drawings of the early BMW engined proposal?

I do wonder which books (in English) do have that extensive flight test data? Even given that, I will buy this one.

How much early stuff have you found? Photos of the mockup? Drawings of the early BMW engined proposal?
I figure there couldn't be more than 20 people worldwide who know about that, LOL... no, no drawings I'm afraid (I suspect they went up in smoke on 17 Aug 43) but I have found RLM documents referencing both the Jumo 210 and BMW 116 in connection with the 109, so I'm including those. And to the wider point, I have found an absolute pile of excellent info from 1935 through 39 which is being included as well.

One significant point I want to make here - I'm not asking anyone to simply take my word for it when it comes to covering this early history, I'm including extracts of documents, including translations where relevant, and also providing archival references for those who want to go look at the full file.

Cheers,

Lynn

I do wonder which books (in English) do have that extensive flight test data? Even given that, I will buy this one.
First off, thanks for the vote of confidence :) - and second, it's my understanding Baumgartl's tome has a ton of flight test info, but I don't own it so perhaps I am misinformed there. Plus, it's in German. Of course, all the power curve charts are in German too, so a project that would translate those charts into English would be a pretty substantial undertaking.

Cheers,

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Thanks a lot, sounds like quite a different scope from Baumgartl's 1000-pager then! :)

If you plan on giving us a heads-up here when the book hits the (virtual) store shelves, that would be much appreciated ;-)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
Hi Henning!

Mortons is taking pre-orders for it now, and I've heard from friends that they've been able to preorder it via Amazon as well. Once things are nearing completion I'll be borderline insufferable with the constant marketing commentary LOL - so I promise I'll let folks know once it's approaching launch.

Cheers,

Lynn

Which BMW engine was slatted first? The 116 already mentioned by Lynn?

Back
Top Bottom