AVIS CO-2

Skybolt

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Like I've mentioned in another thread, this was one of the submission to the Regia Aeronautica Caccia-I (interceptor) competiton of 1938-39. It was immediately eliminated, along with the Breda Ba-100. In common with this, the Co-2 had the most powerful engine specified of all the submissions score to the competition, the Alfa Romeo 135 RC.32, a twin-row radial of 1350 HP. Span was 11,5 mt, length 7,50 and height 3,40. Max speed 515 Km/h at 3200 mts.

Attachments

• AVIS C0-2.jpg
    AVIS C0-2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 873
Not the best looking aeroplane.

Perhaps the offspring of a union between a boomerang and a Westland Lysander?

Wow! What an ugly aircraft... and it's Italian!
I don't believe that it could really fly 515 km/h...

Not really beautiful, but apart from the struts and the shoulder wing,
it's not that much different to other fighters with radial engines. In fact,
it looks a bit like a PZL P.11c with enclosed cockpit and retractable
landing gear. And the P.11c is said to have reached 390 km/h with an
engine not half as powerful as the Alfa Romeo 135 RC.32, so 515 km/h
may have been at least theoretically achievable

Beautiful or not, but is there any one who knows/has more about the Breda design, the Ba.100???
Thanks

That is a very odd cockpit. I wonder why it appears to be more streamlined at the front and less at the back? ???

Thanks for the drawing.
Are the further any details mentioned, such as: engine/armament/dimensions/etc.?

Data for Breda 100

Engine: 1 Alfa 135 RC-32 hp. 1.350
Span 11,50 m.; lenght 9,29 m.; height 3,30 m.
Empty weight 2.200 kg.; total weight 2.800 kg.
Max speed 580 km/h.; landing speed 116 km/h. (calculated)
Take-off in 200 m.; landing in 320 m.

Thanks for this information.
If you have any information/articles/etc. concerning other prewar Breda aeroplanes (not 65 and 88) please help me?
Its so difficult to find information.
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Jan

Thanks,
I found this already and think that I had almost every sity on the net.
Thats why I am looking for other info.
Jan

On the Ba-88 the best coverage is by my friend Enrico Leproni in his work for the Ali d'Italia series (Bancarella Aeronautica). It si long out-of-print, I'll see what I can do with the publisher.

Skybolt
Thanks but I have both the books Ba.65 and Ba.88.
But it are the other Breda planes I am interrested in.
Jan

Uh, sorry. Breda projects are really difficult. The Breda archive was utterly destroyed (or stolen or both) at the liquidation of the Aviation Division in 1950. Moreover, the numeration changed more than once. It seems that every new chief designer restarted the series jumping a hundred. So, the Breda 201 was designed by Ing. Parano, thet left the company in 1941. The two place version of the 201, Breda 210 (a renaming decision by the Breda management) , was done by Ing. Pittoni, chief designer ad interim waiting for Zappata coming in from CANT to do the 1018 Leone and derivatives Bz.301-303 (the hundred jump) and derivatives of the Cant Z. 511. The 201 is well treated in published source.

Hi,

Skybolt, whats with the Breda-Pittoni B.P.471? ok, the hundred jump to 400 hundred, but 71? The 200-series started with number 200 or 201 and ended with 210? Also the 300-series? Sorry, but Breda-projects are so interesting :p

Thanks Maveric

Breda Ba.100 from L+K
The Ba.100 was one competitor from 1939, others are Fiat G.52, AVIS C.O.2, Reggiane Re.2000, Macchi C.201, Caproni Ca.175 and Nardi F.N.530.
I search for drawings and technical data for the Caproni Ca.175 and Nardi F.N.530...

Thanks

Attachments

• Breda Ba-100.jpg
    Breda Ba-100.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 487
  • Breda Ba-100-.jpg
    Breda Ba-100-.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 496
Maveric said:
Breda Ba.100 from L+K
The Ba.100 was one competitor from 1939, others are Fiat G.52, AVIS C.O.2, Reggiane Re.2000, Macchi C.201, Caproni Ca.175 and Nardi F.N.530.
I search for drawings and technical data for the Caproni Ca.175 and Nardi F.N.530...

Thanks

The famous Italian Zero...

Skybolt said:
Like I've mentioned in another thread, this was one of the submission to the Regia Aeronautica Caccia-I (interceptor) competiton of 1938-39. It was immediately eliminated, along with the Breda Ba-100. In common with this, the Co-2 had the most powerful engine specified of all the submissions score to the competition, the Alfa Romeo 135 RC.32, a twin-row radial of 1350 HP. Span was 11,5 mt, length 7,50 and height 3,40. Max speed 515 Km/h at 3200 mts.

Was that company's name; Avio Industrie Stabiensi or not ?.

My Dear Hesham,
AVIS (seldom written as AvIS) stood for Avio Industrie Stabiensi, ie Castellammare di Stabia Aircraft Industries. Castellammare di Stabia is about 19 miles from Naples. As you know, Avis is also the Latin word for bird.
AVIS was one of the smallest brand of the Caproni Group galaxy and its Technical Director/Chief Engineer was Ing. Ugo Abate.
Happy if that is of some usefulness

Nico S.

Many thanks to you my dear Nice,

and I heard that,this company designed and built C.4 and C.5 aircraft.

A good explanation my dear Apophenia,

in Aviation world,there was three AVIS companies,one from Austria and second from
Hungary and third from Italy.

What I understand is that there in Aerofan and L+K an article was concerning the Breda Ba.100 project.
Who can help me with a scan of these articles?
They give maybe some interresting details!

Thanks
Jan

Hi Jan,

if you tell me the L + K issue number and the year,I can send all the article.

From Aerei Nella Storia 60,

a clearer drawing to it.

Attachments

• 3-60.png
    3-60.png
    310.9 KB · Views: 83
That is a very odd cockpit. I wonder why it appears to be more streamlined at the front and less at the back? ???

Yes, the cockpit canopy looks crude from the side, but if you look at it from above, it has a teardrop-shaped airfoil.

This pre-dates the NACA X-2 canopy installed on the single-seater version of the Turner T-40, amateur-built from plans, wooden airplane that was designed in the USA circa 1961. The prototype first flew in 1961, the same year that it won an "outstanding Design" award at the EAA Fly-In.

Last edited:
So weird,

it was called AVIS CO.2,why in Aerofan magazine issue # 38 called it Avia CO.2 ?.