AUM-N-2/AQM-41 Petrel

RyanC

Crazy Researcher
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.generalstaff.org
I know it's not exactly.......unbuilt; but it's a very fairly unknown weapon which was only around for a short time before it retired.

Best site of it on the web is Designation Systems.Net of course.

Here are two pictures I found of it at the NHC and scanned in.

The attached card for the B/W photo says:

"Early Model Petrel on Stand, Circa 1945-46.
Shot for Dr. Skramsta"

Attachments

• Petrel.jpg
    Petrel.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Petrel 2.jpg
    Petrel 2.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 208
I was searching for information on the Petrel and wound up coming across these documents on the Kingfisher project (from which it developed) which haven't been posted here before.

Kingfisher Project Quarterly Progress Report #1
Kingfisher Project Quarterly Progress Report #2
Kingfisher Project Quarterly Progress Report #3

New to me is Kingfisher Model F

A homing, aircraft-launched missile of about 1300 lbs. total weight and range of about 40 miles. The warhead is to be a 500-lb. (approx.) plunge- bomb, now under development. The plunge-bomb, which is non-homing and non-powered, moved under water along a continuation of the air trajectory and is intended to strike ship targets below the water line. Proper fuzing will also cause effective damage when the charge is detonated near the ship hull. The homing system for this missile will probably consist of two stages: full action homing for the latter part of the missile trajectory and passive homing with auxiliary target illumination for initial part.

I was searching for information on the Petrel and wound up coming across these documents on the Kingfisher project (from which it developed) which haven't been posted here before.

Kingfisher Project Quarterly Progress Report #1
Kingfisher Project Quarterly Progress Report #2
Kingfisher Project Quarterly Progress Report #3

New to me is Kingfisher Model F

A homing, aircraft-launched missile of about 1300 lbs. total weight and range of about 40 miles. The warhead is to be a 500-lb. (approx.) plunge- bomb, now under development. The plunge-bomb, which is non-homing and non-powered, moved under water along a continuation of the air trajectory and is intended to strike ship targets below the water line. Proper fuzing will also cause effective damage when the charge is detonated near the ship hull. The homing system for this missile will probably consist of two stages: full action homing for the latter part of the missile trajectory and passive homing with auxiliary target illumination for initial part.
Kingfisher F aka AUM-N-6 Puffin: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/aum-n-6-puffin-kingfisher-f.32457/