Atlantic Airways Construction and Navigating Company

Schneiderman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
OK, another tricky one to uncover. Around 1934 (based on context) an aircraft project was proposed to/by the Atlantic Airways Construction and Navigating Company. The question is what was this company and who were the owners and directors? There is a very likely Canada connection although the company appears to have been based in Britain. I cannot find any reference to them in Flight, Aeroplane or the London Gazette and only one reference online that does not help. Also what does B.M/FROB LONDON mean?

NOTE: This is not Atlantic Airways Ltd, formed in 1929 and in the process of wind-up in 1933, but I guess there could be a connection.

Thanks AACN.JPG

I don't know if its used in the same context, but FROB is an old shipping term that made its way into aviation. The term now is FOB, which means freight on board. FROB stood for Foreign (cargo) On Board and was a holding area for cargo within a country that was legally identified as 'out of the country' in order for customs to clear items before they 'legally' are placed in the country.

BTW a quick search online I found an archive that has a letter dated Nov. 20, 1934 to the Cork Town Clerk, discussing the possibility of Atlantic Airways, Construction & Navigation Company setting up in Cork. Link below. (Search the page for the company title).

BTW a quick search online I found an archive that has a letter dated Nov. 20, 1934 to the Cork Town Clerk, discussing the possibility of Atlantic Airways, Construction & Navigation Company setting up in Cork. Link below. (Search the page for the company title).
Yes, that was the only reference I could find too. Part of my context for dating the company's activity to 1934, the others being information on their aircraft project. Once things are back to normal here and in Cork I will try to obtain a copy, there may be details on the letter head.

Back
Top Bottom