Astronaut Neil Armstrong Dies at Age 82

fightingirish

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
:(
[font=verdana, arial, tahoma, calibri, geneva, sans-serif]God speed, Neil![/font]

This is sad, realy sad
Armstrong died following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures...

:'(

A favorite clip from a favorite film - fast forward to the 29 minute 36 second mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ditEyvRbM

NeilYoung.jpg

and that's how I'm going to remember my 26 Bday one of the ppl that inspired me for so long passed away
when i first saw the Eagle to land on the moon and the unforgettable quote One small step for man, a giant leap for mankind
i knew that space and aviation will take huge part in my life now 20 years later i ask my self how long it will take for the human kind to realise that Earth will die sooner or later so we have one way to survive and that's the space the deep space exploration and colonizing the other planets in this and maybe in other systems even

in the end cause i know I'm annoying little thing

what we did for what 43 years ?
step on the moon with total of 6 times and did not even move an inch from the Earth Orbit since then and this stall we call progress ?

R.I.P Neil Armstrong

It seems that there isn't much public support for manned space exploration beyond a small group of space enthusiasts, aviation enthusiasts, and aviation contractors and their stakeholders. Most people just don't see value in it and see it as an example of wasteful government spending.

Maybe some day, human beings will revisit the moon.

Compare the medias response to Armstrongs death to that of Whiteny Houston, Amy Winehouse, Ted Kennedy, or any other celebritard who contributed little to nothing to mankind compared to the likes of Armstrong.

Sorry, but - dislike his politics if you will - but Ted Kennedy doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Whitney & Amy.

played a major role in passing many laws, including laws addressing immigration, cancer research, health insurance, apartheid, disability discrimination, AIDS care, civil rights, mental health benefits, children's health insurance, education and volunteering. During the 2000s, he led several unsuccessful immigration reform efforts. Over the course of his Senate career and continuing into the Obama administration, Kennedy continued his efforts to enact universal health care, which he called the "cause of my life."

The celebtritards contributed nothing to humanity.

Neil Armstrong, however, was not just an American hero but a hero for humanity.

RIP Neil Armstrong, wherever you are now.

Deleted last post about Kennedy as this thread is about a REAL American hero.

Godspeed Neil Armstrong!!!

He and his great words will be remembered, RIP.

And his wish, to witness someone following in his footsteps wasn't fulfilled ...

God bless your soul Neil.... :-[

He left this Life and entered definitely in History.

Everytime I look to full Moon I think to see his smiling face.

PaulMM said:
Ted Kennedy doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Whitney & Amy.

Well, sure... Whitney & Amy never killed anyone, and they actually had talent.

Watching the news, Neil seems to have pretty much already faded from the headlines already, replaced with some nonsense about some nobody who got photographed nekkid in Vegas.

The first man to walk where no man had walked before, Godspeed and Rest In Peace.

Dead?
He will never be dead.

I agree, sadly a good man is died, but the legend will last forever. Heroes aren't mortal.

RIP Mr Armstrong

Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But I know one thing that never dies,
The glory of the great dead​

Godspeed Neil! A great inspiration to thousands of new striving icebreakers. A humble, down to earth and sincere person. Sometimes when I think of how vast the space is, I want to be in a place as this- 35.17.37.39N 110.21.58.72W Sorry......

RIP Neil Armstrong.

Now we must go back to the moon, if only so that we might lay his ashes there. Come on, America. You did it in eight years last time. You ought to be able to do it in four now.

I read and herd the state Governor is asking government for a state funeral.

pathology_doc said:
Johnbr said:
I read and herd the state Governor is asking government for a state funeral.

If anyone deserves it, it's him.

Most definitely. If ever the history od our species is written there will surely be mention made of the first of us to set foot on another planet.

RIP

From ABCnews:
Private Neil Armstrong service planned for Friday

A private service is planned in Cincinnati on Friday for astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon.
He died Saturday in Cincinnati at age 82.
No other information was released immediately, other than that the service would be private. A spokesman for his family said a public, national memorial service at another time is a possibility.
Family statement regarding the death of Neil Armstrong

We are heartbroken to share the news that Neil Armstrong has passed away following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures.

Neil was our loving husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend.

Neil Armstrong was also a reluctant American hero who always believed he was just doing his job. He served his Nation proudly, as a navy fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut. He also found success back home in his native Ohio in business and academia, and became a community leader in Cincinnati.

He remained an advocate of aviation and exploration throughout his life and never lost his boyhood wonder of these pursuits.

As much as Neil cherished his privacy, he always appreciated the expressions of good will from people around the world and from all walks of life.

While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves.

For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
Hoping for clear skies tonight.

Some of his exploits, alongside that of other greats: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/08/badass-spaceflight-history/?pid=4690&viewall=true

First man on moon to be buried at sea: Armstrong family
by Staff Writers
Chicago (AFP) Sept 6, 2012

The first man on the moon will be buried at sea, a spokesman for Neil Armstrong's family said Thursday.

"I suspect it will be a private service," spokesman Rick Miller told AFP.

He said further details were not immediately available.

The burial will take place after a September 13 public memorial in the US capital.

NASA chief Charles Bolden, present and former astronauts and other dignitaries are expected to attend the ceremony at the Washington National Cathedral in honor of Armstrong, who died on August 25 at the age of 82.

Armstrong strode into the history books on July 20, 1969, when he became the first person to walk on the moon, famously calling it "one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind."

The Washington cathedral includes the famous stained glass Space Window, housing a moon rock brought back by Armstrong and fellow astronaut Buzz Aldrin from their Apollo 11 mission.

Next week's service is scheduled to begin at 10:00 am (1400 GMT).

Flags flew at half staff across the United States last week as family, friends and fellow astronauts gathered in Ohio to remember Armstrong at a private service.

[Original Spacedaily article]

Very nice gesture.
"Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced today that the first Armstrong-class Auxiliary General Oceanographic Research (AGOR) ship will be named Neil Armstrong. Mabus named the future R/V Neil Armstrong (AGOR 27) to honor the memory of Neil Armstrong, best known for being the first man to walk on the moon. Armstrong was an aeronautics pioneer and explorer for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) serving as an engineer, test pilot, astronaut and administrator. Armstrong also served as a naval aviator flying nearly 80 combat missions during the Korean War."

http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=15584

IMHO the naming of this ship class
instead as of a warship suits better his achievements as a hero of exploration . :)

:-\ Really an amazing man. His footprints on the moon will be there forever.