• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Army Wants 'Air Droppable' Light Tank & Ultra-Light Vehicles

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Weirdly compressed, but it shows how much of a monster the JLTV is.

jsport

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
M-8 w ETC 120mm we hope.

Moose

Reaction score
They're both bid with 105mm. Any development of another weapon, be it XM360 or [enter gun of choice here], comes after a vehicle's already established with the base canon.

bobbymike

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

aonestudio

Reaction score
“A specific technical challenge is integrating mature weapon systems such as the M299 launcher, Stinger missile system and 30mm cannon,” he added. “Even though each component is mature by itself, they have to be integrated to work as a system.”

TomS

Reaction score
“A specific technical challenge is integrating mature weapon systems such as the M299 launcher, Stinger missile system and 30mm cannon,” he added. “Even though each component is mature by itself, they have to be integrated to work as a system.”

So Stryker formations end up with two separate 30mm ammunition supplies. This has LW30/M230, presumably for the HE-PROX round, while the conventional upgunned Stryker gets Bushmaster II firing 30x173. Pity they don't have the weight budget for Bushmaster II with ABM instead.

Last edited:

helmutkohl

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Every time I hear that there is demand for something light

light weight fighters
light naval ships, etc

what ends up happening is they realize its not as useful in actual combat (or at least the way they want it to be used)
and end up building heavier fighter jets, heavier naval ships, etc

even the Russians are now realizing this with their tanks that are getting heavier now after years of relatively light designs.

jsport

Reaction score

So Stryker formations end up with two separate 30mm ammunition supplies (this has LW30/M230, presumably for the HE-PROX round) while the conventional upgunned Stryker gets Bushmaster II firing 30x173.
US Army cant get out of its own way again. :(

GARGEAN

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
even the Russians are now realizing this with their tanks that are getting heavier now after years of relatively light designs.
Confusing soft with warm. T-90M is still feather level compared with western designs. T-14 is not case of "let's go heavier, it will be more useful that way" but case of switching to superior layout that demanded more internal volume being armored, thus growth in weight.