ArianeGroup SUSIE (Smart Upper Stage for Innovative Exploration) concept

The technology behind SUSIE is definitely interesting, but it does seem like the exact worst use of it, a mixed Crew-Cargo orbiter-payload without LES, and with a 25tons mass restriction? The entire world found out it was a bad idea by the 90s at the latest, and this one doesn't even have landing contingency.

This particular hopper is somewhere in between the Masten ones and the old Japanese RVT. A cute project, but Hopefully it doesn't fool anyone at ESA into believing SUSIE as presented is viable.

Now maybe an ESA funded, intermediary and adapted version could maybe be salvaged into a european "belly flop" landing technology demonstrator. A small SN-8.

"Technically" I suppose it actually HAS an LES, it would need an alternate landing system if it used most if it's fuel performing an abort.

Randy

now that's t good news for SUSIE

The European space agency Esa plans to build its own space freighter by 2028.

The industry should present the first drafts by the beginning of next year, said Esa director Josef Aschbacher.
There should be a call for tenders with the detailed wishes for the space freighter before Christmas.

According to Aschbacher, it should be designed in such a way that it can also be expanded to transport people into space in the future.

source:

Better resolution on their FB page actually. It also has some photos of the sailing ship used to transport Ariane 6 stages.

Can biconic reentry vehicles be used to lower Trans-Lunar trajectory earth reentry Gs to a comfortable level?

Can biconic reentry vehicles be used to lower Trans-Lunar trajectory earth reentry Gs to a comfortable level?

Anything that can generate 'lift' on reentry can reduce the G's so yes, the main question is can it stand up to the heat pulse which is a whole 'nother question :)

Biconic and half-conic vehicles were initially thought to be less complex than wing/body and more capable than pure capsules. So I think it's a yes.

Randy

Interesting ArianeGroup has just re-discovered the bi-conic configuration just....60 years later!
My favorite—bottom…second from left:

Launch that unmanned atop SLS.

Launch tile free Starship-insertion stage atop SuperHeavy

Crew on Dragon

Lander from BO

SUSIE herself?

Maybe as a probe container…aerobrake hard at an ice giant…expel orbilander

Anything that can generate 'lift' on reentry can reduce the G's so yes, the main question is can it stand up to the heat pulse which is a whole 'nother question :)

Biconic and half-conic vehicles were initially thought to be less complex than wing/body and more capable than pure capsules. So I think it's a yes.

Randy
At the opposite extreme, there's this Japanese concept from 2001. https://falsesteps.wordpress.com/2012/10/10/fuji-bringing-the-mountain-to-the-masses/

fuji-cm.jpg

Er, it is actually a lifting capsule design as well :)

It's a lot closer to the "lenticular" design but it's still meant to generate some significant lift on reentry. There was actually a study done for an "advanced Apollo" capsule in the mid 60s (IIRC) that was meant to hold more astronauts that also used the flattened capsule design.

Randy

I did read somewhere that a problem with the development of one biconic design was getting the centre of gravity right in relation to the aerodynamic centre. SUSIE may get around this by being flat-sided but still radially symmetrical (bipyramidal?) and having sizeable flaps. They can obviously control pitch and yaw, though I wonder about roll. Maybe that's not necessary? Having a flat bottom and sides on re-entry, it may avoid uncontrolled roll. Maybe attitude control thrusters would be used.

Maybe, in good old Star Trek fashion, it's dealt with by 'Everyone lean left! Now right! OK, now shake! You! Fling yourself to the side!'

In parallel, I also wonder about the manned version of Dream Chaser. Judging by its size, it's launched without a shroud. That means that there's a lifting body at the top end of a long rocket exerting aerodynamic force during ascent. At launch, SUSIE is essentially radially symmetrical, like Starship, and therefore neutral.

It's more complex with a bilaterally rather than radially symmetrical lifting body. An unshrouded Dream Chaser will have to use its wings and flaps to counter the lift that would be perpendicular to the long axis and trajectory. That will require some fancy software, I guess.

(This is quite different from the Shuttle and Buran, which were placed at the bottom of the stack and which rolled to put them underneath during ascent.)

As an analogue, these are Orbital Sciences/Northrop Grumman proposals for SLI back in the Cambrian period. Presumably they had a solution in mind.

This interests me because SUSIE is clearly not a lifting body or Hermes clone.

Attachments

• Northrop Grumman RLV-3.JPG
    Northrop Grumman RLV-3.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 16
  • northgrum-5-0.jpg
    northgrum-5-0.jpg
    970.6 KB · Views: 15
  • norb3-0a.jpg
    norb3-0a.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Historical comparison, Armstrong Whitworth circa 1959, using a disposable 'image fairing.' SUSIE makes use of this kind of symmetry, far more efficiently.

Attachments

• scan0022a.jpg
    scan0022a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 13
  • scan0020a.jpg
    scan0020a.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 8
  • pyramid-2.JPG
    pyramid-2.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: