Anybody need a 16" tube?

Thiel

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Couldn't find this anywhere else.
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=4229536
Seems the USN is selling their stock of 16" tubes.
Maybe that'll convince the BB-nuts that the Iowa's aren't coming back.
Then again in my experience, logic has never been their high point.

Anyway, how long do you suppose it'll be before they start selling the shells?
Plenty of good iron in them.

Wonderful! If I had my own house I'd love to use one of those (cut down) as a flowerpot or water feature!

Did you see where they are?
Hawthorne Army Depot in Nevada. Firstly it's an Army depot holding Naval Guns. Admittedly the US Army took over the site in 1977.
Secondly, it's in the middle of the desert, 210 miles from the nearest port, San Francisco :D

Nick said:
Secondly, it's in the middle of the desert, 210 miles from the nearest port, San Francisco :D

One must admit the logic of storing them there: Army or no, the dry climate should preclude or reduce the likelihood of corrosion.

What a conversation piece one of these or one of the practice rounds would be, eh? ::) It'd never get past the wife, though! :mad: ;D

The demil instructions specify that the barrels need to be chopped up into pieces less than 8 feet long before being moved off property. Maybe she'd go for that? ;)

Admiral Nelson said:
The demil instructions specify that the barrels need to be chopped up into pieces less than 8 feet long before being moved off property. Maybe she'd go for that? ;)

Damn that's a lot of chopping. Hack saw probably wouldn't do it. ;D

Thiel said:
Couldn't find this anywhere else.
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=4229536
Seems the USN is selling their stock of 16" tubes.
Maybe that'll convince the BB-nuts that the Iowa's aren't coming back.
Then again in my experience, logic has never been their high point.

Anyway, how long do you suppose it'll be before they start selling the shells?
Plenty of good iron in them.

As one of the aforementioned "nuts", I am well aware that they are not coming back. However, an excellent case can be made that they never should have left.

Out of curiosity, which ships would these barrels have seen service on?
Would they have been used, removed, refurbished and then replaced on another ship?

It seems many of them date back to 1943.

Are these the same gun tubes used for building the first prototypes/examples of the bunker buster GBU-(28?) back in GW1?

Rafael said:
Are these the same gun tubes used for building the first prototypes/examples of the bunker buster GBU-(28?) back in GW1?

Yeah. They hung 230,000lb bombs off F-111s. No sweat.

IIRC the gun tubes used for the Bunker busters were from surplus U.S. Army 203-mm howitzers. Have to check that.

B)

M. A. Rozon said:
IIRC the gun tubes used for the Bunker busters were from surplus U.S. Army 203-mm howitzers. Have to check that.

B)

You recall correctly. The first ones were from decommissioned M110s, but later the housings were purpose built.

Nick said:
Out of curiosity, which ships would these barrels have seen service on?
Would they have been used, removed, refurbished and then replaced on another ship?

It seems many of them date back to 1943.

16" Mark 7s were used by the magnificent Iowa class Battleship

sferrin said:
Rafael said:

:3 Can the B-52 carry something like that externally?

Demon Lord Razgriz said:
sferrin said:
Rafael said:

:3 Can the B-52 carry something like that externally?

Not just "no", but "hell no". :)

Even so, they would need chute-extraction...

Think of them as prototype god-rods...
;D

I figured they would have had the spare barrels for the Iowa class stored in a warehouse rather than just sitting in the middle of the desert. Yet I suppose it isn't like somebody is going to load one of those into the back of their pickup truck. to load one up into their pickup truck.

RIP heavy naval gunfire support.

Back
Top Bottom