Anybody know the specific envelope size of Mk 57 VLS and Mk41 VLS Cells?

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
All I've been able to find are the usual, vague, external module sizes and weights. What I'm looking for is the size of the cell interior. I figure with the Mk41 the length of SM-3 and diameter of it's booster is probably pretty close. AFAIK the Mk72 booster was as big as they could make it and still fit the missile stack in the cell. The Mk57 is a bit more mysterious. I'd swear it was something like 23.5 feet long and 26" dia. but who knows? I have a slide here that says the SM-3 Block IIB would have had a 27" diameter missile which wouldn't fit in either current VLS so I'm not sure what to make of it. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I know this isn't the first time this has come up but it doesn't seem anybody has had that info in the past. :-\

The interior of the Mk41 cell is 22" square, the Mk57 cell is 25" square. The interior of a strike-length (longest so far) Mk41 cell is 258" long, the Mk57 cell on Zumwalt is 276" long.

Moose said:
The interior of the Mk41 cell is 22" square, the Mk57 cell is 25" square. The interior of a strike-length (longest so far) Mk41 cell is 258" long, the Mk57 cell on Zumwalt is 276" long.

Sweet! Thank you! Where did you find the dims?

sferrin said:
You are welcome. The information comes from BAE documentation about the canisters they produce, pretty sure it can be found in PDF form on Google.

Are you looking for the inside dimensions of a Mk 57 compatible canister? The maximum outside dimensions of the canister are in a brochure we've discussed before -- 28" square x 283" long.

TomS said:
Are you looking for the inside dimensions of a Mk 57 compatible canister? The maximum outside dimensions of the canister are in a brochure we've discussed before -- 28" square x 283" long.

Inside dims. I found those brochures with exterior dimensions about 40 times while looking (5 times on my NAS alone :) ). Even the Tomahawk user's manual didn't have them.

Moose said:
sferrin said:
You are welcome. The information comes from BAE documentation about the canisters they produce, pretty sure it can be found in PDF form on Google.
Yeah, I hit the BAE site as well with no luck. Might have been their once and they removed them or something. I've noticed other sites do that as well. For example LM use to have a lot more information on the Mk41 VLS.

sferrin said:
Moose said:
sferrin said:
Yeah, I hit the BAE site as well with no luck. Might have been their once and they removed them or something. I've noticed other sites do that as well. For example LM use to have a lot more information on the Mk41 VLS.
I'd post my copy if I could, sorry.

Moose said:
sferrin said:
Moose said:
sferrin said:
I'd post my copy if I could, sorry.

No problem. The dimensions are all I really needed so. :)

I don't know if this is the right thread for but I just stumbled across this "Defence Updates" video about a recent USN test concerning reloading Mk-41 canisters at sea: