Any info on "Raindeer" aircraft from "No Highway in the Sky"

unclejim

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Just rewatched the British film "No Highway in the Sky" w/ James Stewart and Marlena Dieterich. The fictional aircrat at the center of the story is quite interesting. Wonder if anyone has pictures, line drawings etc.. Looks as if the filmakers built several fullsize mockups of the "Raindeer".

Even though the aircraft design is *terrible,* I always liked that movie. Probably because of just how Aspergerific Stewarts character is.

Still, having the culprit behind the metal fatigue being *atomic* *decay* is kinda grating.

Agreed. I do think the fictional aircraft is quite strange in appearance, but strangely attractive nonetheless.

I've always been impressed that the film makers went to as much effort as they did. Most of the time, films from that general era would simply slap a crappy paint job on an existing aircraft - typically some furrin job, or some obscure prototype - and call *that* the whiz-bang neato new plane, and just assume that most people simply wouldn't know any better.

Found some pics here

Forum member Paul has this to say:
Halifax C MKVIII (PP296) was bought by Westminster Airways on 27/4/1949 and completed 116 tanker sorties on the Berlin airlift. It returned to its home base of Blackbushe on 26/4/1950. It was sold on for film work and used as the fictitious Reindeer aircraft (G-AFOH) and then scrapped.

Attachments

• Rutland Reindeer 1.jpg
    Rutland Reindeer 1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Rutland Reindeer 2.jpg
    Rutland Reindeer 2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 171
Back
Top Bottom