• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Another Who Dunnit?

allysonca

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
OK pundits... another one that is a head-scratcher. I'm pretty good on these things, but I've no clue as to what the heck this was. Made by a friend "he thinks" back in the late 80's, but his memory has no recollection of the maker or the model type, so perhaps we can fill in the blanks. One collector said Piper Army proposal, but I am not so sure as I have had a zillion different in-house proposals over the years, and this one looks to be some air racer.... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
I cannot see an air racer with tip tanks that big, surely the drag would make it implausible.

yasotay

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Looking at the nose and the outlines of the canopy, I am going with a proposed trainer and possible light attack. Other option I can see is that someone with too much money wanted a very fast high end homebuilt.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks something like a twin-seat version of the PA-48 Enforcer with the cockpit displaced rearwards to counter a new and heavier engine. Maybe.

Aubi

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.valka.cz
Not Piper Enforcer, not in any way. It is way smaller, and there's no way that the fuselage is derived from Mustang (as Enforcer was). It looks like some small sporting aircraft, with piston engine like Lycoming O-360 or similar. Definitely not a turboprop. Something along the lines of XtremeAir XA42, but obviously not a racer. Even the canopy looks similar, sport-like. Or as yasotay said, very fast high end homebuilt.

By the way, that Piper Enforcer four-view? Also not Piper Enforcer. that is the original Rolls-Royce Dart - powered Cavalier Turbo Mustang III.

Last edited:

dan_inbox

Reaction score
By the way, that Piper Enforcer four-view? Also not Piper Enforcer. that is the original Rolls-Royce Dart - powered Cavalier Turbo Mustang III.
Wasn't that sole Cavalier Turbo Mustang III sold to Piper as "the Enforcer" in 1971?

elmayerle

Reaction score
Wasn't that sole Cavalier Turbo Mustang III sold to Piper as "the Enforcer" in 1971?
It was the basis for the Enforcer, but Piper did a fair bit of redesign, including an engine change to a , IIRC, T53.

elmayerle

Reaction score
Looking at the nose and the outlines of the canopy, I am going with a proposed trainer and possible light attack. Other option I can see is that someone with too much money wanted a very fast high end homebuilt.
I would agree with that, the nose is clearly for a "flat-4" or "flat-6" engine. That aft cockpit somewhat argues for it being a tail-dragger with retractable gear, though that front cowling looks like it might work for a tricycle gear. I think your possibilities for what it is are fairly accurate.