Alternatives to Pivotal Aircraft

prolific1

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
lost-aviation.blogspot.com
Anybody have any suggestions concerning the alternative choices to pivotal aircraft of the postwar era? If not the B-52, F-4 Phantom, Mirage III, etc.

I realize I have little knowledge on this subject and am interested in illustrating unbuilt projects that have some greater history context. Perhaps I have already achieved that with my choice of the SNCASO SO 4060 in relation to the Mirage but I have always wondered about other famous aircraft. This forum has a great deal of info within itself however I wouldn't truly know where to look.

prolific1 said:
This forum has a great deal of info within itself however I wouldn't truly know where to look.

You're right. It can get scary at times! One tip though (for US aircraft): when trying to identify unsuccessful contenders for any given aircraft, try to identify the letter code that corresponds to the program (JAST, ATF, AX, AF-X, NGT and the like). These usually have their own specific topic. Then when it's done, there are usually several contenders of lesser value, and one or two that were to a par or pretty near. Sometimes it's just politics or influence that made the difference.

I'll toss in some suggestions.

The big alternative to the F-4 was the F8U-3 Crusader III. It was considered a better air-to-air machine, but not as versatile.

Others include:

F-107 instead of the F-105
Boeing TFX instead of the F-111
F-32 instead of F-35
F11F instead of F8U

Back
Top Bottom