All variants of GMLRS

In 2022, Lockheed Martin presented a miniature of the HIMARS launcher with a longer container (1). Probably, like the Koreans with their K-239 sets (2), the Americans also decided to use the free space they have on the launcher (3) to extend the missiles carried on the current carriers to the maximum.

Does anyone of you know anything more about this elongated container, apart from the fact that the container presented in the photo probably would carry some type of PrSM missile? Have you heard information about the length of this container, or whether the containers for the ER GMLRS missiles will also be longer than the GMLRS version?

(1)
55b42411adcb7.jpg

(2)
IMG-20231227-WA0008.jpg

(3)
e9728c6f353c4.jpg

A photo with a thumbnail of the HIMARS set with an elongated container comes from the website: https://www.overtdefense.com/2022/10/10/ausa-2022-lockheed-martins-precision-fires-update/

I suspect that what's happening here is a problem with the model, not a real thing. I'm fairly certain that the model has swappable rocket pods (I've seen the same chassis with GMLRS instead of PrSM or ATACMS). And in this case, they haven't got the pod seated properly when they assembled it for the show. Can't tell from this angle whether it actually extends to the back of the HIMARS cradle or not, and I can't find any other angles that show it in detail.

I suspect that what's happening here is a problem with the model, not a real thing. I'm fairly certain that the model has swappable rocket pods (I've seen the same chassis with GMLRS instead of PrSM or ATACMS). And in this case, they haven't got the pod seated properly when they assembled it for the show. Can't tell from this angle whether it actually extends to the back of the HIMARS cradle or not, and I can't find any other angles that show it in detail.
I think everything is fine with the container. Precision Strike Missiles are, from what I know, available in 3 different ranges.

PrSM Increment 1 will have a range of 499km, PrSM Increment 3 will have a range of 700km, and PrSM Increment 4 will have a range of 1,000km. The Increment 4 version is to have a ramjet engine. "Army taps teams to build new Precision Strike Missile for targets beyond 1,000 km"

The version with a range of 500 km, from what I understand, is to be 156 inches or 3962 mm long.
New-PrSMs-Variants-Could-be-a-Game-Changer-for-the-U.S.-Marine-Corps-HiMARS.png

In my opinion, the graphic below shows the visualization of Precision Strike Missiles in the Increment 3 variant and its container was mounted on the HIMARS miniature to which I referred earlier.
prsm-image02.jpg

The above graphic comes from: https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/deepstrike.htm

Apparently increment 1 is expected to better 500km significantly, some reports say 650km.

In 2022, Lockheed Martin presented a miniature of the HIMARS launcher with a longer container (1). Probably, like the Koreans with their K-239 sets (2), the Americans also decided to use the free space they have on the launcher (3) to extend the missiles carried on the current carriers to the maximum.
(2)
IMG-20231227-WA0008.jpg
Ure / KTSSM 1/2 is only 4m long which is just a tad over GMLRS 3.96m. KTSSM Block II and probaly Block III will be mutch larger and longer. Block is supposed to have a 900mm diameter and a Hyunmoo-II launcher variation.

The above graphic is nonsense, because it shows PrSM and ATACMS as the same diameter, which we know is not the case -- PrSM is much smaller in diameter but roughly the same length (4 meters).

More fundamentally, an extended pod to the extent seen in the model picture does not fit in either HIMARS or MLRS when the launcher is stowed. Seriously, look at these pics. There is a tiny bit of space ahead of the stowed launcher in HIMARS and basically none at all in the M270. Nothing like the room to fit a canister that sticks out as far as the model shows.

1713007321565.png

1713007462599.png

The above graphic is nonsense, because it shows PrSM and ATACMS as the same diameter, which we know is not the case

I noticed that and to be honest I thought the "PrSM" looked like the bastard love-child of an ATACMS and a V2.

The above graphic is nonsense, because it shows PrSM and ATACMS as the same diameter, which we know is not the case -- PrSM is much smaller in diameter but roughly the same length (4 meters).

More fundamentally, an extended pod to the extent seen in the model picture does not fit in either HIMARS or MLRS when the launcher is stowed. Seriously, look at these pics. There is a tiny bit of space ahead of the stowed launcher in HIMARS and basically none at all in the M270. Nothing like the room to fit a canister that sticks out as far as the model shows.

View attachment 725400

View attachment 725401
You are right that this missile will not fit on the manned HIMARS launcher. In my opinion, there is about 30-40 cm of space there.

But that doesn't mean that the rocket itself is nonsense. Maybe it just needs different carrier.

E4CJJbkVcAIWtQW.jpg

E4CJTaOVIAEztsl.jpg

E4CjaM9UUAE6VeB

And back to my main question. Have you heard any information that could indicate that the Americans are planning to use slightly longer containers in HIMARS, just like the Koreans are currently doing in K239?