Airships

The world's biggest collection of airship memorabilia goes on sale (Daily Telegraph picture gallery)

The world's biggest collection of airship memorabilia is being tipped to sell for more than a million pounds. The items were amassed by a British businessman over 40 years. David Kirch's hoard - including hundreds of photos of huge German Zeppelins - is so vast he planned to open a museum in an old aircraft hangar he bought especially for the purpose.

But the 75-year-old, who hoped to offer the public rides on airships at the attraction, never got around to finishing the project and is now selling it all at auction. The total collection weighs an incredible 15 tons and the auction house selling it has had to hire extra storage space for it.

The collection is so big it is having to be sold over four sales at Wallis and Wallis auction rooms in Lewes, East Sussex. Experts expect the total sum for all the lots will be more than a million pounds. Mr Kirch, a wealthy property dealer who lives on Jersey, intends to give the proceeds to charity.

This website is particularly good for UK Airships, it also includes some secret projects such as R102 and a couple of un-built Vickers designs as well as schemes for mooring:

http://www.airshipsonline.com/

This particular article is very enlightening.
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/isis-poised-to-become-the-ultimate-eye-in-the-sky-360212/

6c9hlufrtnr41.jpg

A few weeks ago I found the following article online:

This is a 3 part series of articles about, from my perspective all(!) airship concepts I know an a lot of concepts I had never heard about.

But be aware, every concept which is mentioned in the articles has its own article (PDF) too.

All in all ~ 223MB of data about airships.

Another LTA startup, this time with Sergey Brin's deep pockets behind it.

Last edited:
In addition to the deltoid pumpkinseed, I remember a winged airship from a 1970’s library book that had a tiny 747 drawing near it. That seems to be missing as well.
This? Interestingly, one application seems to be as a spacecraft launcher.

Attachments

• Hybrid1.JPG
    Hybrid1.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Hybrid2.JPG
    Hybrid2.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Hybrid3.JPG
    Hybrid3.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 29
  • HybridSemi_buoyant.pdf
    198.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Hybridstrange 1.JPG
    Hybridstrange 1.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Hybridstrange.JPG
    Hybridstrange.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 27
That’s it….but I thought it was a 747 in it. Bad memory.

I remember that 3/4 view from the book…what was the title?
I turned it it to the return cart at the Jr. High Library…but they said I didn’t. Some blasted kid pinched it and left me with a bum rap.