Aircraft replicas SCREAMING to be made

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I've been collecting airplane miniatures for a long time. One of my personal favorites is Tailwinds. Not bad on detailing and they won't bankrupt you. Corgi's good but a little pricier.

And then there's these beauties here, that sadly, are out of production now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/X-Planes-X-4-1950s-Experimental-Concept-X-Plane-1-144_W0QQitemZ120383497039QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1193QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262
http://cgi.ebay.com/X-Planes-X-5-1950s-Experimental-Concept-Plane-1-144_W0QQitemZ110356206883QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1193QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Bought a whole set on Amazon back in '03 that included the X-1, the X-3, X-4 & X-5, an X-15 w/ drop tanks, and an X-24A. Wouldn't trade 'em for the world. IIRC, they also had an N9M flying wing and and X-45 UCAV which I really wish I had gotten now

But I've realized that sadly, there are no available miniatures of X-planes and spacecraft. One can only buy so many of "Tomcat no. 36" and "Blackbird no.47" for so long. And seriously, who buys the Bell JetRanger anyway?Tailwinds, you're on notice!

personal wishlist for miniatures includes:
-the ME 163 Komet
-the HO 229 flying wing
-classic X-planes like the ones mentioned above.
-legendary UNBUILT X-planes like, and especially, the X-20 DynaSoar
-Hughes X-planes like the Spruce Goose and XF-11
-the Northrop Flying Wings
-the XB-70
-Scaled Composites SpaceShip One
-while I'm on a roll here, how about a Mercury, Gemini, Vostok, or Soyuz? (Corgi and Space Adventures already did the Apollo CM and LM)

See what I'm getting at? Now those I would gladly buy. Well one can only hope. One day perhaps

Re: Aircraft miniatures begging to be made

XP67_Moonbat said:
IIRC, they also had an N9M flying wing and and X-45 UCAV which I really wish I had gotten now

A vaguely nearby hobby shop had both of those last time I was there a few weeks back.

I just thought of some more replicas that need to get made:

-Spiral 50-50
-the N-1/L-3 combo
-the Energia/Buran combo

Re: Aircraft miniatures begging to be made

Orionblamblam said:
XP67_Moonbat said:
IIRC, they also had an N9M flying wing and and X-45 UCAV which I really wish I had gotten now

A vaguely nearby hobby shop had both of those last time I was there a few weeks back.

Went back today. 2 X-45s, a couple X-29's and a Predator. Didn't see the N9M.

Today, more planes needing replicas came to mind:
-McDonnell XF-85 Goblin
-Boeing "Bird of Prey"
-the A-12 Avenger II
-Bell X-2

XP67_Moonbat said:
But I've realized that sadly, there are no available miniatures of X-planes and spacecraft. One can only buy so many of "Tomcat no. 36" and "Blackbird no.47" for so long. And seriously, who buys the Bell JetRanger anyway?Tailwinds, you're on notice!

personal wishlist for miniatures includes:
-the ME 163 Komet
-the HO 229 flying wing
-classic X-planes like the ones mentioned above.
-legendary UNBUILT X-planes like, and especially, the X-20 DynaSoar
-Hughes X-planes like the Spruce Goose and XF-11
-the Northrop Flying Wings
-the XB-70
-Scaled Composites SpaceShip One
-while I'm on a roll here, how about a Mercury, Gemini, Vostok, or Soyuz? (Corgi and Space Adventures already did the Apollo CM and LM)

See what I'm getting at? Now those I would gladly buy. Well one can only hope. One day perhaps
Some of the types you've listed HAVE existed in plastic form at some point or other. The Me.163 existed in 1:48 scale, my dad had it when I was a kid...
Mercury and Gemini also DID exist in the 1960s, I'm sure.
As for SpaceShipOne, however, I hear that Burt Rutan is against ANY miniature version of his designs, so I don't think we're about to see one anytime soon... and many of the early X-Planes were done in the 1950s by brands such as Aurora, Lindberg or Monogram.

The Convair XFY-1 Pogo was reissued a few years ago by Lindberg in 1:48 scale and I was fortunate to buy one, along with the McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane (in non-standard scale, 1:40 or something like that).

The web, and notably eBay, is the place to look for, no doubt. Also there are several modeling companies in the Czech Republic such as MPM or Antares which have covered a great many experimental types in 1:72 or 1:48 scale. These are much cheaper when you buy them in Prag, but even with shipping they are worth every cent...

Stargazer2006 said:
As for SpaceShipOne, however, I hear that Burt Rutan is against ANY miniature version of his designs, so I don't think we're about to see one anytime soon...

Errrr....
estt2191.jpg

Models are OK. But whats on my wishlist is toy replicas of the planes above for my kids to play around with. And for me to put on my desk.

http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/kura1/144/x.htm

I have all the X-PLANES replicas except for the Predator, the X-45, and the N-9M (http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/kura1/144/other.htm). Man, I wish I had those last three planes and that the X-PLANES weren't out of production.

Historic Aircraft Models makes an XB-70. Warning: RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE.

Here's a link:

http://www.collectorsaircraft.com/ECOM_Detail.asp?ID=6964

I collect "model" (as in diecast) aircraft myself. I've actually got two planes from this line, an Aeroflot Tu-144 and a Tu-160. They're big, heavy, and look pretty good. Not quite as detailed as some of the other 1/200 scale lines, but still very impressive on a shelf!

Frak that! That's crucial school supply money. Still, nice model. Maybe, I'll get one after I win the lotto.