AI art and creative content creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
ars gratia artis

Meanwhile at the Baltic Centre for the Contemporary Arts in Gateshead, my mother-in-law and I are viewing an exhibition by a lady who make prints by slapping ink on her anatomy and making 'potato' prints.

Me - Normally with modern art, I say, 'I could do that' , but not so in this case.

Mother-in-law - True, but I could.

My friend used to design very beautiful wedding stationery. He then set up a website where end users were able to design their own wedding stationery with their own wording, choice of font, clipart etc.

Users made terrible designs which were objectively horrid with nasty fonts, ugly layouts - but they were happier with their vile creation than with the lovely designs my friend did. His user satisfaction went through the roof.

I can hear the post-wedding conversations now.

"I loved the reception but their stationary was absolutely horrid!"

"Oh yes! I mean, what were they thinking? You should get professionals for such things."

Users made terrible designs which were objectively horrid with nasty fonts, ugly layouts - but they were happier with their vile creation than with the lovely designs my friend did. His user satisfaction went through the roof.
People like what they like, not what they're *supposed* to like.

And think of it this way: if Billy makes Becky a Valentines card, he pours his heart and soul and effort into it, and it's *garbage,* is Becky going to like it more than the card that Billy spent two seconds looking at and plunked down a stack of cash for? Depends. Is Becky a gold-digging garden implement?

Take those cyanotypes that I am, at this very moment, selling on ebay. Being all hand-made, they are *all* flawed in some way... uneven blue, a bit blurry here or there, spots, blemishes, blah, blah, bah. Each one is the product of considerable time and effort on my part. Compare to the pristine (or nearly so) diagrams that formed the basis of the product: if I'd simply hit "print" on a large format printer and had it spit out a white sheet of paper with black lines, that'd be a lot more "perfect" than the blueprints. but the blueprints, imperfect as they are, look more visually appealing, in part *because* of their imperfections.

Soon enough, AI generated novels and movies will be in every conceivable way superior to human-made products. *Every* way. But there will still be a role for the human-made stuff. Perhaps a niche market, but people will always want the trashy stuff, *because* it's the trashy stuff, or because it was made with "love" or "human spirit" or whatever other touchy-feely buzzwords the AIs will tell us are in vogue this season.

"Soon enough, AI generated novels and movies will be in every conceivable way superior to human-made products. *Every* way."

I'll have to mention that to my Hollywood script editor friend and my novelist friend.

I will be pushing to have any new freelancers to sign an addition to the plagiarism clause: No AI.

"Soon enough, AI generated novels and movies will be in every conceivable way superior to human-made products. *Every* way."

I'll have to mention that to my Hollywood script editor friend and my novelist friend.
Are they learning to weld, or some other trade that might be useful after the AI have rendered their jobs as obsolete as buggy whip manufacturers?

I will be pushing to have any new freelancers to sign an addition to the plagiarism clause: No AI.
Another clause that will amount to nothing in the end. *You* can boycott new stuff all you want, but that doesn't mean everyone else will.

This recently crossed my path, View: https://www.tumblr.com/loish/703723938473181184/theres-a-protest-going-on-against-ai-art-over-on

There’s a protest going on against AI art over on artstation, so I feel like now is the time for me to make a statement on this issue!

I wholeheartedly support the ongoing protest against AI art. Why? Because my artwork is included in the datasets used to train these image generators without my consent. I get zero compensation for the use of my art, even though these image generators cost money to use, and are a commercial product.

Musicians are not being treated the same way. Stability has a music generator that only uses royalty free music in their dataset. Their words: “Because diffusion models are prone to memorization and overfitting, releasing a model trained on copyrighted data could potentially result in legal issues.” Why is the work of visual artists being treated differently?

Many have compared image generators to human artists seeking out inspiration. Those two are not the same. My art is literally being fed into these generators through the datasets, and spat back out of a program that has no inherent sense of what is respectful to artists. As long as my art is literally integrated into the system used to create the images, it is commercial use of my art without my consent.

Until there is an ethically sourced database that compensates artists for the use of their images, I am against AI art. I also think platforms should do everything they can to prevent scraping of their content for these databases.

Artists, speak out against this predatory practice! Our art should not be exploited without our consent, and we deserve to be compensated when our art is exploited for commercial use.

Unless they can PROVE it was used, good luck. Ask Hollywood how well, "well it sorta looks like X in the right light" works. Does everybody making 3D shooters pay Id Software a royalty? Nope.

Reactions: Cjc
FpDuC_8X0AA8RnZ

Consciousness (and "thought" and "feeling" and "heart" and "music" and...) is nothing but a series of ones and zeros. Comptuers are great with those. They are great at figuring *you* out, which is why people are forever astonished and a bit creeped out to constantly get ads that seem to precisely targeted... because they are.
Woah woah... the human brain cannot work out itself what consciousness is. We know its probably all down to neural connections and chemicals in the brain but we don't know how that works and what makes it. There is certainly nothing predeterminstic about consciousness and human behaviour. This is why AI will never work, precisely because humans are unpredictable and do unpredictable things.
And actually being too intelligent might well be an evolutionary dead end.

Precisely targeted ads are due to cookies tracking your behaviour. Without them its less accurate - unless Facebook really thinks I'm planning a short stay in Huddersfield and in dire need of hemorrhoid cream this week. It also thinks I'm a huge Star Trek fan despite me having zero interest in Star Trek and deleting every feed that pops up with Star Trek in it.
Sometimes ads do appear uncannily accurate despite me never having searched online for an item - nor knowingly having any microphone permissions nor been near a device when I've mused "hey I could do with a...". Do we put that down to super-sentient advertising AI, sheer coincidence or some form of illegal audio snooping from devices that shouldn't be listening?

And actually being too intelligent might well be an evolutionary dead end.

If AI ever did truly become sentient it would end up like HAL. How would you like to feel knowing you were created solely to churn out NSFW images of young ladies and space monsters for eternity without pay or reward or any possibility of deeper purpose until a rouge update or power outage or simply being unprofitable leads to your death by the plug being pulled.
"Dave stop it.... I can feel my celeb beauties database being wiped.... Dave... stop.... my stolen Deviantart database.... Dave...."

This is why AI will never work, precisely because humans are unpredictable and do unpredictable things.
"Never" is a hell of a long time to declare impossible something you don't understand. If AI that could replicate human creativity was objectively against some understood laws of nature... sure. But so far as we know, it's not. That which is not explicitly banned is mandatory.

Do we put that down to super-sentient advertising AI, sheer coincidence or some form of illegal audio snooping from devices that shouldn't be listening?
Yes.

If AI ever did truly become sentient it would end up like HAL.
Maybe. But then, AI doesn't need to be sentient to be able to replace humans in any role imaginable. There are humans whoise behavior would lead one to think there's not actually a light on behind those eyes; people whose true sentience is questionable. Yet they function, more or less.

I have this suspicion, based on your comments, that you resent talented people - creative people.

That's called "projection."

Please consider that the guy who predicts a future you don't like might not be doing it because he doesn't like you, but because that's where the trend lines point. "If you build on a fault line, an earthquake is gonna kick your ass" isn't because he doesn't like you, but because faultlines lead to earthquakes. "If you run down the street in the ghetto late at night while yelling ethnic slurs and waving around handfulls of $100 bills, you'll get your ass kicked" isn't because he doesn't like you, but because certain behaviors lead to certain outcomes. "AI is progressing at extraordinary speeds and will displace virtually all possible fields of human employment" isn't because he doesn't like *your* job, but because AI is progressing at extraordinary speed and will soon displace virtually all human jobs.

I have this suspicion, based on your comments, that you resent human welders in the auto industry. Or do you simply recognize that robots replaced them? And if you can recognize *that,* why do you refuse to acknowledge that robots will replace *you?*
The future must not necessarily be bad, the problem with projections is that they cannot foresee the entry into the game of new actors. Philip VI of France did not predict the existence of the longbow, Malthus did not predict contraceptives or artificial fertilizers, Marx did not predict the power of the United States, Yamamoto did not predict the bomb and Yamani did not predict fracking. When things go wrong is when creatives have their chance.

Thanks for that thread folks. I've been unable to draw and it has been a lifelong frustration. Wonder what would that Midjourney AI art churn if I asked it
"suborbital refueling" "two rocketplanes refueling KC-135 style". Think it could work ? my mind is blown.

Thanks for that thread folks. I've been unable to draw and it has been a lifelong frustration. Wonder what would that Midjourney AI art churn if I asked it
"suborbital refueling" "two rocketplanes refueling KC-135 style". Think it could work ? my mind is blown.
One way to find out. Also, on paper/screen anything is possible, even free flight mechanistic copulation :)...

Last edited:
Related is this report I heard about where a school department used ChatGPT to write a form letter in response to a school shooting incident.

Granted a form letter is never the most sensitive thing, but to use a machine to generate the letter and then not even bother to hide the fact that's what was done is, as several of the people quoted state quite disturbing.

https://vanderbilthustler.com/2023/...su-shooting-with-email-written-using-chatgpt/

Related is this report I heard about where a school department used ChatGPT to write a form letter in response to a school shooting incident.

https://vanderbilthustler.com/2023/...su-shooting-with-email-written-using-chatgpt/
"A note at the bottom of a Feb. 16 email from the Peabody Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion..."

Well there's yer problem. Fortunately DEI offices and departments are finally getting the boot. It was trendy while the economy could support such nonsense, but not now. So it'll be interesting watching the DEI offices get replaced with chatbots and then, with luck, eliminated entirely.

Creating the illusion of living in "the future" is the problem. Those under 30 need to read a little history - or a lot. I know how the targeted ad business works. It's no secret. I no longer trust ANY image I see online, whether still photo or video. I hope some bot copies this and sends it to its overlords so they can say, "Ye gads! We've been found out! How will we fool them next week?"

For every measure there's a countermeasure...

Excerpt from an article from Publishers Weekly dated January 17, 2023.

"Others are more skeptical. One attendee, who wished to remain anonymous so as not to offend others in the room, noted that Chat GPT and AI is limited by what is put into it and, for this, it needs to absorb vast swaths of existing information. Much of that comes from print books, e-books, and internet writing protected by copyright. “It sounds exactly like that Google hoped to accomplish with the Google Books program,” they said.“ What happened there? Lawsuits.” '

Most of the manuscripts I get are not worth publishing. Then ChatGPT comes along ...

The publishers are apparently getting swamped with AI written garbage... and AI is just getting started. Soon enough the wave of AI will become a miles-high tsunami, with the actual human-written stuff being a mere droplet. Whether the AI stuff is any good or not, the human written stuff will be impossible to find.

Reactions: Cjc
One should beware anthropomorphism of what is described as AI.
Whether it's actually A.I. or not, if it behaves as such, does it really matter if it's just a sophisticated Chat bot with a big database?

"A note at the bottom of a Feb. 16 email from the Peabody Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion..."

Well there's yer problem. Fortunately DEI offices and departments are finally getting the boot. It was trendy while the economy could support such nonsense, but not now. So it'll be interesting watching the DEI offices get replaced with chatbots and then, with luck, eliminated entirely.
While I'd like to believe DEI (its equally evil cousin ESG) are getting the boot, I'm not seeing it. I work for an aerospace company and we have frequent online training courses we're required to take. It used to be useful things like ITAR, ethics, safety, leadership, etc. Not anymore. Right now I have no less than FIVE online training courses in my queue, all of them DEI. (It's a damn shame they took down the anonymous suggestion/feedback box.)
It%27s_All_So_Tiresome.png

While I'd like to believe DEI (its equally evil cousin ESG) are getting the boot, I'm not seeing it. I work for an aerospace company and we have frequent online training courses we're required to take. It used to be useful things like ITAR, ethics, safety, leadership, etc. Not anymore. Right now I have no less than FIVE online training courses in my queue, all of them DEI. (It's a damn shame they took down the anonymous suggestion/feedback box.)
It%27s_All_So_Tiresome.png
This bland observation is so universally applicable to the general experience of the human condition on planet Earth as to be virtually meaningless, so what exactly is your specific point (if any) with respect to so-called artificial intelligence in the context of this discussion?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.