AGM-69 SRAM

J

jeffryfontaine

I am in search of something other than the usual poor quality generic drawings (see attached image) and partial images of this weapon that I have already found on-line through several google searches. Is there any thing else available on the AGM-69 SRAM and any proposed derivatives of this missile? I am interested in a decent line drawing that shows all of the features in better detail. The reason for this sudden interest is due to the plethora of AGM-69 SRAM shapes that are supplied with the Revell 1/48th scale B-One kit. The details on these SRAM shapes is sparse and I believe incorrect from what I can determine in comparing these shapes to the several large partial images I have seen on-line.

Any help would be appreciated on this matter.

Attachments

• AGM-69A SRAM Short Range Attack Missile-00.GIF
    AGM-69A SRAM Short Range Attack Missile-00.GIF
    9.2 KB · Views: 195
Jerry - quite recently I've seen a set of original SRAM factory drawings on eBay, but didn't want to go further then 50 bucks for it...so lost the bid.
I'll try to find what I have...but, seriously, do you want to make B-1 with SRAMs? What scale? 1/72 or 1/48?

flateric said:
Jerry - quite recently I've seen a set of original SRAM factory drawings on eBay, but didn't want to go further then 50 bucks for it...so lost the bid.
I'll try to find what I have...but, seriously, do you want to make B-1 with SRAMs? What scale? 1/72 or 1/48?

I wonder if the Iranian limit is a bit higher than 50 bucks? ;D :eek:

These were general arrangement drawings, two sheets of AFAIR.

BTW, bunch of nice hi-res SRAM photos can be found at http://www.defenseimagery.mil/

Gregory,

Not to worry, the idea is to try and make something useful from the AGM-69 SRAM shapes for a WHIF weapon to arm a couple of not so strategic attack aircraft. I would like to take these shapes and use them as conventional long range weapons instead of the nuclear mission that was originally intended for them. Similar to the AGM-86 CALCM but being carried by aircraft such as the F-4G Wild Weasel or an F-105G. I figure the range and the payload for a weapon such as this would be ideal for a long range ARM with the physics package replaced by a standard high explosive warhead.

Thanks for the link but I have reviewed the majority of the images at that site and they do not help with the fine details.

Jeff

Ozmods do SRAM in 1/48 scale as well as 1/72 and 1/144 under the Scaledown range if thats any use.

Geoff

starviking said:
flateric said:

I wonder if the Iranian limit is a bit higher than 50 bucks? ;D :eek:

I'd be thinking China before Iran. Iran's got a ways to go before it could build a warhead small enough to fit on the thing. ;)

My first name is J E F F R Y.

Jerry usually hosts the 24 hour telethons that raise money to pay for the research costs in the fight against Muscular Dystrophy.

Thorvic said:
Ozmods do SRAM in 1/48 scale as well as 1/72 and 1/144 under the Scaledown range if thats any use.
For what its worth, the AGM-69 SRAM shapes offered are nothing more than copies of what came in the respective kts in each scale that originally provided these things.

1/48th scale is derived from the Revell B-One.

1/72nd scale is derived from the Testors B-2.

1/144th scale is derived from the Crown B-52.

WHY would I want any additional replications of the same poor quality subject that I already have? :mad:

I provided a set of the Revell AGM-69 SRAM shapes from my own B-One kit along with a pair of B61 nuclear bomb shapes from my Italeri F-117 kit to the person that owns Scaledown Resins several years ago so I know where the original source for these comes from. Sad, that he was too cheap to even go and purchase his own bloody B-One and F-117 kits. But you would think he had from the prices he is charging for these resin replications.

However, it was not a one sided deal. I did receive as compensation for my efforts a resin copy of the Grand Slam 22,000 pound bomb that is provided in the 1/48th scale Tamiya Lancaster kit. A very poor copy, I might add.

ABM SRAM!

Naval Engineer's Journal circa 1994:

In addition to the Navy LEAP tests, BMDO and the Air Force have been investigating retrofitting SRAM missile systems with LEAP interceptors to perform boost phase and midcourse intercepts from a forward-deployed, manned aircraft. As with the Navy surface-launched systems, an air-launched TMD system could provide the desired rapid relocatability and deployability. As an air-launched missile that can be fired at altitudes above 9 km (30,000 ft), the SRAM also affords the advantage of not having to fly through a significant portion of the lower atmosphere.

A large number of decommissioned SRAM Missiles, that were originally intended for precise air-to-ground delivery of nuclear munitions, are available. The SRAM provides both the required kinematics needed to perform exo-intercepts and the available payload volume without major modifications. Proposed tests incorporate the LEAP and its kickstage with a newly developed interstage module (IM) into the warhead section of the SRAM-A and SRAM II (Figure 21). [8] This design will also require a removable shroud that may be very similar to the Navy design.

Again, an incremental approach will be used to perform these low-cost tests. Test plans and objectives will be very similar to those of the Navy LEAP Tech Demo. As with Navy LEAP, early target launch detection, tracking, and handoff to the interceptor are critical to a tactical air-launched system and are carefully being investigated by the Air Force and the missile contractor, Boeing. Proposed netting of ground-, air-, and space-based sensors [such as Patriot, GBR-T and AEGIS radars, the AWACS, and BMDO's Brilliant Eyes or Miniature Sensor Technology Integration (MSTI) satellites] and use of advanced communications architectures (such as JTIDS) will help to resolve battle management, command, control and communications (BMC3) issues.

The first SRAM/LEAP feasibility test took place at the Pacific Missile Test Center (PMTC), Pt. Mugu, California on October 19, 1992. This test, called FT-0, was similar to the Navy LEAP FTV-1 experiment. FT-0 involved modifications to the missile flight software and aircraft mission tapes of an unmodified SRAM to allow it to fly out from under the launch platform (a B-1 Bomber) and upward in a TMD-type flyout (Figure 22). The mission was performed as an operational test launch from an operational platform. All experiment objectives were met. The missile achieved an altitude of greater than 60 km (200,000 ft) with better than expected stability and control. The two-pulse SRAM-A motor also experienced greater than expected ballistic performance and demonstrated its feasibility as a LEAP booster. The current test plan integrates the LEAP midcourse interceptor with the SRAM and performs an intercept of a TMD representative target by the end of FY 94. A second successful test of a SRAM-A (FT-1) similar to FT-0 was performed in April 1993 using a B-52 as the launch platform. Future tests will most likely use the B-52 since it is a long endurance, stand-off aircraft and would be better suited for this mission.

Attachments

• SRAM-LEAP.gif
    SRAM-LEAP.gif
    31.5 KB · Views: 213
  • SRAM-LEAP-2.gif
    SRAM-LEAP-2.gif
    46.6 KB · Views: 252
Hmm, I wonder how SRAMs would fit on the external stores pylons on the B-58? Replace the J79s with PW1120s for a bit more poke, go down to only two crew with extra avionics in place of the third seat, and you'd have an interesting missile and/or satellite interceptor using either these modified SRAMs or dedicated ASATs.

Been meaning to post these for a while. Anybody know if they ever used one in a missile defense test? Seems like it would have made a good AS-16 "Kickback" simulator.

Attachments

• SRAM.pdf
    181.9 KB · Views: 83
  • SRAM 2.jpg
    SRAM 2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 248
  • SRAM 1.jpg
    SRAM 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 232
Does anyone know if there was ever any consideration of using SRAM or a derivative thereof in an air-to-air role?

If I am not mistaken, it had a secondary airburst (timer) mode that could be used as a last ditch defence against fighters and SAMs. I think there was at least some consideration given during the 1980s to using it as well as an interim weapon against Soviet AWACs and airborne command posts that were on relatively predictable tracks.

In addition, there was a plan to add a compact radar seeker to the standard AGM-69A in order to give it a proper air-to-air mode, along with a separate plan to have a dedicated Anti-Radiation variant of the missile to provide penetration bombers with an organic SEAD capability (mobile air-defense radars were a particular, and increasing, concern though it would have likely been equally effective against AWAC platforms).

I can only imagine how crazy it would've been to cut a SRAM based swath of nuclear destruction in a B-1B, as you penetrate deeper into Soviet terrritory on the way to whatever prospective main target. Realistically it's a one way mission, and I imagine there was limited protection for the aircrew from radiation fallout and even mushroom cloud dust they'd be flying through.

Does anyone know if there was ever any consideration of using SRAM or a derivative thereof in an air-to-air role?
If I am not mistaken, it had a secondary airburst (timer) mode that could be used as a last ditch defence against fighters and SAMs. I think there was at least some consideration given during the 1980s to using it as well as an interim weapon against Soviet AWACs and airborne command posts that were on relatively predictable tracks.

In addition, there was a plan to add a compact radar seeker to the standard AGM-69A in order to give it a proper air-to-air mode, along with a separate plan to have a dedicated Anti-Radiation variant of the missile to provide penetration bombers with an organic SEAD capability (mobile air-defense radars were a particular, and increasing, concern though it would have likely been equally effective against AWAC platforms).

How would the AGM-69 SRAM have the range for an air-to-air role without wings or strakes to provide lift?

ASALM, which was considered as a SRAM replacement, was also considered as a AWACS killer ....

Ballistic flight path, the same way they make it reach 100 miles versus ground targets...
If that is true, then would Russia's Novator KS-172 "AWACS killer" be the closest analog to an air-to-air SRAM flying a ballistic flight path without wings or strakes?

KS-172 or R-100.png
SOURCE: Medved, G. (2007, August 6). Pesticide for Super Hornets. Air Power Australia. Retrieved from https://www.ausairpower.net/APA-NOTAM-060807-1.html

I assume an air-to-air SRAM would only be effective against slow-maneuvering targets such as AWACS, bombers, and tankers?

If that is true, then would Russia's Novator KS-172 "AWACS killer" be the closest analog to an air-to-air SRAM flying a ballistic flight path without wings or strakes?
I believe so, yes.

I assume an air-to-air SRAM would only be effective against slow-maneuvering targets such as AWACS, bombers, and tankers?
I mean, it's still moving at Mach 3, but it doesn't have big fins for major course corrections. So I suspect it'd need fairly cooperative targets like AWACS or tankers. Bombers may be able to maneuver enough to get out of the seeker field of view.

I mean, it's still moving at Mach 3, but it doesn't have big fins for major course corrections. So I suspect it'd need fairly cooperative targets like AWACS or tankers. Bombers may be able to maneuver enough to get out of the seeker field of view.
And if it were to still have a nuclear warhead it would be less of an issue