AFRL Missile Utility Transformation via Articulated Nose Technology (MUTANT)

Saw this years ago:

This reminds me of Fasthawk from the 1990's.

hystrike_view.gif

Saw this years ago:

Then I suppose that just like all other upcoming Military projects, this one already has been in the planning and design phase for years, if not decades ago.

Yeah, it sure does. Only difference is that the twisting and turning part is at the booster section, rather than the nosecone section.

But that translates into a big difference in how it gets used. The interesting thing about MUTANT from the video is that they emphasize using it to point a directional warhead at the target. Sure, you can also use the nose deflection as an aero surface for steering, but aiming the warhead this way is novel.

Yeah, it sure does. Only difference is that the twisting and turning part is at the booster section, rather than the nosecone section.

But that translates into a big difference in how it gets used. The interesting thing about MUTANT from the video is that they emphasize using it to point a directional warhead at the target. Sure, you can also use the nose deflection as an aero surface for steering, but aiming the warhead this way is novel.
I see. They probably are taking some cues from Fasthawk, but are accomplishing its aims in a different way.

Odd, usually they set anti-aircraft missile warheads to be directional but perpendicular to the missile body. Even the "lethality enhancers" work to spread a cloud perpendicular to the missile's direction of travel...

Odd, usually they set anti-aircraft missile warheads to be directional but perpendicular to the missile body. Even the "lethality enhancers" work to spread a cloud perpendicular to the missile's direction of travel...
Maybe hit to kill without the hit is here the goal?

It just acts as a levcon. Just see it the same way but with an axial symmetry. ;)

With the bending of the front section, lift is created and lift point move accordingly with the camber. Hence you can maneuver a missile with more amplitude than using fins with increased size.

Interesting that Hellfire will be the missile chosen for the early test (hence low supersonic). But did I understood it correctly?

Interesting also to see how it compares with CRANE technology (but applied to a missile)

Last edited: