• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Aeronautical Technology 2000: A Projection of Advanced Vehicle Concepts (1985)

Sundog

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here's a couple more generic Hypersonic designs.

As for that GE design, the L-M Falcon program proposal has similar inlets, in that they're very long at an acute angle to the airflow. This is done to minimize the area of the inlet lip that requires active cooling, which would basically be the "webbibg"/sections between the spikes that is more orthogonal/perpendicular to the airflow. By keeping it to the small areas at the back of the inlet it allows them to minimize weight with regard to the active colling requirements. There was an AIAA article online that showed a good CFD pic regarding this, but I can't find it atm.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent! I remember the top design from years back, I thought it was really beautiful...

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
The assault transport is very similar to Boeing's "Frog" tiltwing assault transport

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hm...not Superfrog, BWB more likely.

No, I haven't any 3-views...

elmayerle

Reaction score
Aren't these from some SAE collection of papers on this subject? I seem to remember seeing a copy in the library at Northrop.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
It's from AIAA paper.

LowObservable

Reaction score
Right - they are from a report on the future of aerospace that was put together either by SAE or AIAA. I don't recall them being tied to any particular company, although they were notable at the time for depicting stealth designs - which was a no-no even if they were not supposed to be accurate, because it was entirely possible to recreate a feature of some black project by accident!

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw the top two pics in Bill Sweetman's 1986 book "Stealth Warplanes". I was looking through a second hand copy today, and nearly bought it for nostalgia's sake. I was about 13 years old, I remember devouring every page of that book. I even attempted to make a "faceted" F-19 using modelling putty. Looked a little like a disco ball.

One of the many books I threw away and regret!

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Was it 'STEALTH: UNITED STATES AIR FORCE'S INVISIBLE WARPLANES' from AIRLIFE PUB., 1986
or 'Stealth Aircraft: Secrets of Future Airpower' from Motorbooks?

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Airlife one. Wasn't the other one by Joseph Jones, and notable for being completely wrong in all respects? I had that too :)

LowObservable

Reaction score
The Jones book was published by TAB and was subtitled "the art of black magic".

Meteorit

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Can you give the title of the AIAA paper, flateric?
Also, the "Hypersonic interceptor" is numbered 11 in one image and 12 on the other; thus they are from different papers. I wonder what the other one is?

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
In the latest installment of British Secret Projects detailing hypersonics, there is a similar design to the twin-fuselage aircraft in Figure 4.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Meteorit said:
Can you give the title of the AIAA paper, flateric?
Also, the "Hypersonic interceptor" is numbered 11 in one image and 12 on the other; thus they are from different papers. I wonder what the other one is?
Aeronautical technology 2000 - A projection of advanced vehicle concepts

ROSEN, C. C., III (NASA, Office of Aeronautics and Space Technology,Washington, DC) BURGER, R. J. (National Research Council, Washington, DC) SIGALLA, A. (Boeing Commercial Airplane Co., Seattle, WA)
AIAA-1984-2501
AHS, ASEE, Aircraft Design Systems and Operations Meeting, SanDiego, CA, Oct 31-Nov 2, 1984. 18 p.

PS different picture captions may just be because first pics posted in thread are from SAE reprint of original article, or vice versa

Barrington Bond

Reaction score
The last picture is just a "missile" and not a manned vehicle?

Regards,
Barry

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
To Sundog and Flateric,
Where did the hypersonic interceptor carry it's missiles? It looks like a ventral release would either fly into the intake or it's exhaust would screw-up the airflow into the ramjet...
Was the hypersonic interceptor manned?

To Orionblamblam,

I like that hypersonic airliner design. It kind of looked half supersonic and half hypersonic. Nice slick design.

K.J.

Meteorit

Reaction score
flateric said:
Aeronautical technology 2000 - A projection of advanced vehicle concepts

ROSEN, C. C., III (NASA, Office of Aeronautics and Space Technology,Washington, DC) BURGER, R. J. (National Research Council, Washington, DC) SIGALLA, A. (Boeing Commercial Airplane Co., Seattle, WA)
AIAA-1984-2501
AHS, ASEE, Aircraft Design Systems and Operations Meeting, SanDiego, CA, Oct 31-Nov 2, 1984. 18 p.

PS different picture captions may just be because first pics posted in thread are from SAE reprint of original article, or vice versa
Thanks flateric. The whole issue about the origin of these was just very unclear in previous posts (Boeing? - AIAA? - SAE? etc.)

Meteorit

Reaction score
Orionblamblam said:
I've got these. Not sure they're all from the same series, but the artistic style looks about the same.
Thank you Scott. The designs look very nice, especially in colours. And that's probably the only property by which they should be judged anyway ;).

sferrin

Reaction score
I remember a couple news bites in AvWeek from back then that were pretty interesting at the time. The first talked about a contract to either Goodyear or Goodrich to study tires that could handle 300-400 mph takeoffs and landings. No joke. Another talked about studies the USAF was doing for releasing/ejecting weapons from internal bays at Mach 12.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
KJ_Lesnick said:
To Sundog and Flateric,
Where did the hypersonic interceptor carry it's missiles? It looks like a ventral release would either fly into the intake or it's exhaust would screw-up the airflow into the ramjet...
Was the hypersonic interceptor manned?
K.J.
KJ - Think of conformal carriage of weapons on the upper surface, for example. Nothing unrealistic was as well about manned hypersonic interceptor...OK, if there were projects of *desk-launched* hypersonic fighters as early as late 60s, you can believe that these times everything was possible (at least, on the paper).

Attachments

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aeronautical Technology 2000: A Projection of Advanced Vehicle Concepts

117 page *full version* of this report available from NTRS

http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19860003767

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
Fantastic document! :) I believe all the aircraft depicted in there are genuine company designs, not generic ones. A few of them can be identified, but what a shame there is no mention of at least the companies for each of them! :-\

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1996/1996%20-%202054.html

Attachments

Meteorit

Reaction score
Thanks for finding this, overscan! I posted a few designs I think I could identify to the relevant topics. It seems to be true that not all illustrated non-helicopter designs were Boeing. At least the Transatmospheric Aircraft in Figure 16 is clearly a McDonnell-Douglas Model 176 variant.

hesham

Reaction score
overscan said:
Aeronautical Technology 2000: A Projection of Advanced Vehicle Concepts

117 page *full version* of this report available from NTRS

http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19860003767
Great find my dear Paul;

and I like those concepts.

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if pictures #2 and #3 are in any way related to this program:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12047.0/highlight,high%20altitude.html

As for picture #6, it looks like a late development of the FDL- series of spaceplane projects.

Tophe

Reaction score
Website
cmeunier.chez-alice.fr
Thanks Hesham for the twin-boom solar #2. I note that, even if the NASA title speaks of year 2000, it was a future imagined in 1985 (thanks for the link explaining it).

quellish

I am not actually here.
Reaction score
Stargazer2006 said:
I wonder if pictures #2 and #3 are in any way related to this program:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12047.0/highlight,high%20altitude.html

As for picture #6, it looks like a late development of the FDL- series of spaceplane projects.
Yup, I'm pretty sure the two of those were notional HAPP vehicles.

RanulfC

Reaction score
Ok, on number-4? Are those "windows" along the side of the next-gen Shuttle or lettering? Even in close up mode it's DAMN hard to tell :)

Randy

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
RanulfC said:
Ok, on number-4? Are those "windows" along the side of the next-gen Shuttle or lettering? Even in close up mode it's DAMN hard to tell :)

Randy
Too regular and long to be lettering. Also, look at where the cockpit is, and the size of it. These are windows, by all means.