Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
i need help !

a Friend of my, gave me this pdf
its in Russian, so i can't read it
can some one read this PDF ?, please...

from pictures show sketch of Orion nuclear plus engine
is this about Soviet design or USA version?

Attachments

• Russian Orion 9911_082.pdf
    190.8 KB · Views: 118
That is a "design" supposedly attributed to Sakharov (sic?), a Soviet response to Orion. Unlike Orion, which was a big program, this was a one-man effort, that clearly did not include any real engineering study.

Yes, it says of it as of Sakharov's idea offered in Sarov (now Federal Nuclear Center) in 1962. At the left seems to be reproduction of his original 'napkin' sketch, to the right - one of family designs, dubbed PK-5000 (5000 is a TOW), with a take-off rocket engines. Well, an interesting find anyway - seems that we still had some sources in Los Alamos or General Atomics.

flateric said:
Yes, it says of it as of Sakharov's idea offered in Sarov (now Federal Nuclear Center) in 1962. At the left seems to be reproduction of his original 'napkin' sketch, to the right - one of family designs, dubbed PK-5000 (5000 is a TOW), with a take-off rocket engines. Well, an interesting find anyway - seems that we still had some sources in Los Alamos or General Atomics.

Actually, the drawing at left looks a lot like a great many published generic schematics of the Orion concept, obtainable in numerous technical journals. The "PK-5000" design looks like something that somebody who *didn't* have access to the General Atomics work might have come up with. The PK-5000 is just plain *bad.* The curved pusher plate is a disastrous idea. The rest of the "design" looks cartoonish at best.

The PK-5000 has been shown publicly for a few years: http://spacebombardment.blogspot.com/2005/08/lunar-landing-verison-of-project-orion.html

Well, PK-5000 just could be a schematics invented by dumb magazine illustrator. Anyway, I agree that GA Orion was million light years ahead of this in terms of engineering development.

BTW, was Orion publicly known in 1962?

flateric said:
BTW, was Orion publicly known in 1962?

Yes. I don't have my references here, but Orion was referenced in the press (Av Week, Missiles & Rockets, newspapaers, etc) in 1959 or 1960. Martin cranked out a lot of nuclear pulse artwork (mostly featuring internal detonations) in the same time period.

Back
Top Bottom