A-6 'Flying Button' Award

The Artist

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I'm working on cataloging a collection that came into the Museum, and I came across this award. A quick web search turned up no results. Does anyone here have anything on this?

Attachments

• A-6 Flying Button Award.jpg
    A-6 Flying Button Award.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 348
The Artist said:
I'm working on cataloging a collection that came into the Museum, and I came across this award. A quick web search turned up no results. Does anyone here have anything on this?

Perhaps some kind of joke, as to the weapons officer just having to press a button to do their job?

Undoubtedly a gag gift. Most likely for the person or team that got "buttoned" into a task that most would hope to avoid. Although with the A-6 attached I am thinking that starviking has likely come close to the mark.

Thanks for those thoughts. This piece offers a fun contrast to another trophy in the donation that recognizes the person's participation in the team that was awarded the 1999 Collier Trophy for the F/A-18E/F.

I still don't know the story behind the Flying Button award, but I may have found the context for the award. In cataloging more items from that box, I came across another award that seems to have a connection. McDonnell Aircraft and Missile Systems Teammate of Distinction award given (in this case) in recognition of outstanding achievement for "The SAE Committee A-6 Blue Ribbon Panel Investigation." The award is dated November 1997. Does anyone here know what that investigation was about?

I wonder if we're parsing this incorrectly. It turns out that there is a "SAE Committee A-6" that deals with Aerospace Fluid Power, Actuation, and Control Technologies. The award may be associated with activities with that committee that and not the Grumman A-6 Intruder.

That's what I've been thinking since I saw that Teammate of Distinction Award. Knowing what the Committee A-6 dealt with, the award is making a little more sense. Control Technologies was Harschburger's line and in that time frame he was involved with the F/A-18E/F Program. Next time I talk with Jack Abercrombie, I'll see what he might know about it.

Something different. While cataloging the photos in his collection, I saw that Harschburger also worked with F-4 #12200 with the Fly By Wire and CCV programs.

I'm working on another part of that donation package and I have found a framed certificate of recognition to Henry from the SAE International for his work as Chariman of the SAE A-6 Aerospace Actuation, Control, and Fluid Power Systems Committees. This was presented in April of 2009.

So, yes, this Flying Button award has to be a gag gift related to his work with the SAE International. Still. It is fun seeing something fun from the day to day work side of the aerospace world.