4X4 Aviation VV-Plane

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Published on Jan 17, 2014

4X4 Aviation aims to revolutionise the aerospace industry by developing innovative and cost effective solutions transforming the means of Vertical Take Off and Landing.

http://youtu.be/fcfuwdsgZdo

Artist's impression of 4X4 Aviation Versatile Vehicle(VV)-Plane.

Source:
http://www.gizmag.com/vv-plane-vtol-cargo-ducted-fans/33296/

Attachments

• vvverticltransport.jpg
    vvverticltransport.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 300
  • vvverticltransport-1.jpg
    vvverticltransport-1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 307
  • vvverticltransport-2.jpg
    vvverticltransport-2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 294
I see those engines in the front causing problems for the sets directly behind them.

taalismn said:
I see those engines in the front causing problems for the sets directly behind them.

A consequence of the way to achieve VTOL, I think, were it works as a kind of multicopter.
Maybe for cruising flight the forward or rear engines could be shut down. But to me, the real
challenge seem to be those "multi-staged thermodynamic process machine built from off-the-
shelf components", the new "energy storage (that) allows fast charge and discharge of the
stored energy" and maybe the "electrical turbines (that) consist of internal blades connected
to electric motors that function as outer runners and stators".
If working as advertised, all three components certainly would find their way in a lot of other
uses, too. So this company will either be a big sensation, or just another gross miscarriage.

I call bull$hit on the very concept of transporting ISO shipping containers in a VTOL aircraft. An empty 20' shipping container weighs 4,850 lb/2,200 kg. Why would you transport all that dead weight?

index.php

It has to be done... ;D

"THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!"

cheers,
Robin.

Seems unnecessarily complex for its intended purpose. ISO containers are today well-handled by normal surface transportation systems. I can see something like this being effective for for supplying offshore sites, undeveloped areas, or forward-deployed military forces. But, in industrialized countries, the normal triumvirate of ships, trains, and trucks seems to handle things pretty well. It's in interesting technology if they can get it to work, but it does seem to be the answer to a question no one is asking.

George Allegrezza said:
Seems unnecessarily complex for its intended purpose. ISO containers are today well-handled by normal surface transportation systems. I can see something like this being effective for for supplying offshore sites, undeveloped areas, or forward-deployed military forces. But, in industrialized countries, the normal triumvirate of ships, trains, and trucks seems to handle things pretty well. It's in interesting technology if they can get it to work, but it does seem to be the answer to a question no one is asking.

Is there any market for expedited shipping of cargo packed in ISO TEU containers? Cargo from Asia to Europe takes between 20 to 23 days by container ship and the VV-Plane is going to expedite the last miles? Outside of military needs and needs to supply remote bases without rail or road infrastructure, the VV-Plane seems like a solution looking for a problem. How is this any more viable than the blimp-based skycrane proposals we have seen over the years?

This is wall-to-wall bull$hit. Whatever the project aim, it is not to build a working aircraft.

Any fledgling company aiming "to revolutionise the aerospace industry" is most likely just another one in a (very) long list of nuts with similar claims whose designs have amounted to nil in the end. I tend to have more respect for a newcomer that keeps a lower profile.

Back
Top Bottom