4th generation nuclear warheads (fusion weapons)...

Avimimus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
It has been ten years since this Andre Gsponer:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0510071.pdf

I was wondering if anyone had an update or opinions?

I suspect the optimism regarding inert antimatter containment may be overstated. I also suspect radiological effects might end up being higher in practice. But I'm no expert.

The policy implications of small tactical weapons are interesting though - both from a military perspective (would an arms race be unavoidable?) and from a threshold perspective (reduced radiological impacts, more controlled ash/fire climatic effects, decentralisation of command, tactical efficiency, and perceived necessity).

P.S.
The Denkenberger & Pierce limit (2018)... would be largely bypassed if the smaller warheads and judicious use avoided firestorms and ash pumps.

sferrin said:
"ash pump"? ???

If one doesn't have the big columns of rising air associated with firestorms (or large detonations) ash remains at lower altitudes where it can settle more quickly (more things to interact with). The climatic effects which limit the utility of nuclear weapons are mainly due to some types of ash reaching very high altitudes where they can remain suspended for long periods of time and where they can also travel to impact agriculture in areas away from the actual detonations.