44 Squadron GDR

Ifor

Proselytizing to the great unwashed
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Interflug by Sebastian Schmitz. He mentions 44 Squadron, which was apparently a GDR special operations squadron. I've searched but can't find any info on it. Can anyone help?
Ifor

I'm currently reading Interflug by Sebastian Schmitz. He mentions 44 Squadron, which was apparently a GDR special operations squadron. I've searched but can't find any info on it. Can anyone help?
Ifor
Could be TG44 - scroll down to the map:

Seems like this was the DDR's VIP transport squadron?

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans...ey weren't always used as passenger aircraft.

Thank you for replying, it's just explained that it was a VIP transport. Thanks again Fluff and TomS

Gleaned from this page: https://home.snafu.de/veith/tfg-44.htm (and German Wiki)

Transportfliegergeschwader 44 „Arthur Pieck“ (TG-44 or TFG-44 for 1965-1973) was stationed at Marxwalde. At one time or another TG-44 flew flew the An-2, Il-14, Il-18, Il-62M (based at Diepensee, mtx by Interflug), Tu-124, Tu-134A (x 2), and Tu-154 as well as the rotary-wing Mi-4 and Mi-8S. TG-44 strength at unification was 3 x Tu-134A, 2 x Tu-154M, 3 x Il-62M, and 6 x Mi-8S.

I don't have the book, but it's worth mentioning that the phrase "Special Mission" is sometimes used for VIP, liaison, and similar duties. For example, USAF VIP aircraft usually fly as SAM XXXX ("Special Air Mission") when not using more specific callsigns like Air Force One.

I don't have the book, but it's worth mentioning that the phrase "Special Mission" is sometimes used for VIP, liaison, and similar duties. For example, USAF VIP aircraft usually fly as SAM XXXX ("Special Air Mission") when not using more specific callsigns like Air Force One.

Back during World War 2, "Special Services" could equally mean USO shows to entertain the troops. Hah! Hah!

There's a good description of the squadron later in the book. That'll teach me to read the index properly. Thank you all for helping.
Ifor

Someone might be interested to know, that the Stasi had a couple of aircraft in Interflug colours