2707-200 3d model

Ok, finished now . let say…
We are the 11th of october 1971, they are rushing the prototype to 1st flight, making it fly unpainted, cause they want to move on fast to the testing schedule. And want to be able to shown the monster at the 1972 Paris air show.
Here are photo shots from that very first flight, taken from the chase plane. testing various configurations above clouds layers.

1stFlightPhotoshots.jpg

2707-200-029-1800x989.jpg

2707-200-032-1800x1015.jpg

2707-200-028-1800x938.jpg

2707-200-028-02-1800x1125.jpg

2707-200-038-1800x1125.jpg

2707-200-038-02-1800x1125.jpg

next will have to paint it in that mustard/white prototype scheme.

Wonderful. Powerful. They seem to be seeing the real aircraft at all. :eek:
Will you make a movie?

The "canopy scratches" really add a lot to those pictures. :)

I just want to let you know this is my wallpaper on my work PC and everyone there keeps asking me, "What the hell is that!?" :) They look great.

Thank you all , happy you like it :)

@ Blackkite - dunno if i'll do anim... I'm not finish playing with this model for sure :)

@ sferrin - yes, this trick works well. I tend to overuse it :)

@ hehe, happened to me at the office too. This monster really is an eye-catcher.

See you next when the thing have a livery.
Cheers

You could EASILY get a job with any aerospace firm out there - great illustrations - thanks so much for sharing them with us! -SP

I downloaded all those beautiful pictyres. Now I have to decides which one I'll use as my wallpaper... :mad:

Hi,
Done myself a present ( was my birthday last month…) .
I have a neighbor who is a printer, and wanted to try a big size print of a Boeing SST render. 900 x 400 mm.

2707-200-040-1415x625.jpg

A bit expensive, but turned out very nice, as on screen. On a satin photo quality paper. Glued it on a foam board with spray glue.
Then sprayed a protective mat varnish. Couldn't find a semi-mat one… But anyway, very happy with it :)

2707-200-040-print.JPG

Seriously, how much for a print like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful unfinished dream.
Preparing final approach or just after take off? :D

I'm running out of adjectives to describe the sheer beauty of your work :eek:

Wowtastic!

Regards.

I know you've already said "no" to the idea of a 3D printed physical model based off this, but I'd still suggest that you give it a shot. Probably several model kit companies would be happy to make a kit off of your model. Given the level of detail and the sheer ludicrous elegance, I'd suggest looking at 1/72 scale for it; certainly wouldn't go smaller than 1/144. But a 1/72 or (dream world) 1/48 scale model of the 2707-200 would be freakin' astonishing.

galgot said:
Thanks all :)

Ok , if anyone interested in some prints (Sundog ?), details are here :
http://galgot.free.fr/wordpress/?p=1517

Definitely interested. PMed you and sent you an email. :D

Orionblamblam said:
I know you've already said "no" to the idea of a 3D printed physical model based off this, but I'd still suggest that you give it a shot. Probably several model kit companies would be happy to make a kit off of your model. Given the level of detail and the sheer ludicrous elegance, I'd suggest looking at 1/72 scale for it; certainly wouldn't go smaller than 1/144. But a 1/72 or (dream world) 1/48 scale model of the 2707-200 would be freakin' astonishing.

Well, I said no to the idea of using that very model for 3d printing. I could use it as template to do one optimized for 3d printing though…
Problem is size, at 318 feet long for 2707-200, 96.92m, that would make 67cm long at 1/144, 1.34m at 1/72, 2m at 1/48 ! if my counts are correct...
Not doable in 3d printing (or very very expensive…). So maybe resin, but I have zero experience with that, or yes injected plastic… but who would do that ?
I think that's why revell took 1/200 for their, and even then, it's the size of a 1/72 WWII bomber model. At that size it's maybe doable in 3d printing.

sferrin said:

Definitely interested. PMed you and sent you an email. :D

Yep thanks :)

galgot said:

So are you going to contact everybody when you've figured out the logistics so they can cough up the dough and arrange for shipment? :) (Just wondering as I've pinged you twice offline with no response. Was wondering if you'd received the messages.)

sferrin said:
galgot said:

So are you going to contact everybody when you've figured out the logistics so they can cough up the dough and arrange for shipment? :) (Just wondering as I've pinged you twice offline with no response. Was wondering if you'd received the messages.)

You didn't get my mail ?
Saw your mail this morning, and answered after getting to the office, at 10:10. Paris time, GMT +1.
Sorry, what means "cough up the dough" ? :)

galgot said:
sferrin said:
galgot said:

You didn't get my mail ?
Saw your mail this morning, and answered after getting to the office, at 10:10. Paris time, GMT +1.
Sorry, what means "cough up the dough" ? :)

Pay moneyz. :) Will check email again when I get home. Just hadn't seen anything as of last night (Mountain time, GMT -7)

galgot said:
Well, I said no to the idea of using that very model for 3d printing. I could use it as template to do one optimized for 3d printing though…
Problem is size, at 318 feet long for 2707-200, 96.92m, that would make 67cm long at 1/144, 1.34m at 1/72, 2m at 1/48 !

You make it sound like a bad thing. Who *wouldn't* want a 2-meter long 2707-200???

Not doable in 3d printing (or very very expensive…).

Oh, yes indeed. That's why maybe the way to go would be to work with a kit company like Fantastic Plastic or whomever and make sure the finances work. Perhaps a Kickstarter.

A model I'm currently making a CAD model of has a wingspan of 11.6 inches; this, I'm told, will fit in one piece on the printer bed. So assuming 12 inches, the 1/144 2707-200 fuselage would need to be divided slightly more than two times... say, a fore fuselage and an aft fuselage, with separate parts for nose and tail. A 1/72 would need the fuselage divided into at least four pieces; the pieces would then be bonded together and molds made, with the kit parts being laid up in thin fiberglass. The result would be an impressively expensive kit, but it'd also be an impressive kit. Cast the landing gear in white metal.

These guys have a lot of options:

https://www.stratasysdirect.com/

just make sure to speak to their engineers to confirm all units are kosher.

It's a beautifully done plane, but I wonder how long it took for you to get that good at it.

Another thought is that it would, if I've not said it before, look positively incredible in FSX or Prepar3d. Depending on how things were done with the interior and the flight dynamics, it could easily be a payware project. I did a bit of a look around and readily found a tool to convert Blender models to FSX, and was watching a video on how to use Blender to build a FSX aircraft model. As I probably have said before, previous attempts at modeling either version (200 or 300) were kind of sad, even if the VC did include the control animations. I'd tried to fix the flight dynamics, but found that once I got the speed and altitude fixed, the engines would power the plane through the sound barrier at flight idle, and the brakes wouldn't hold it in place on the ground. Apparently I need to learn more about engine thrust tables...

Again, a superb job.

MaxLegroom said:
It's a beautifully done plane, but I wonder how long it took for you to get that good at it.

Another thought is that it would, if I've not said it before, look positively incredible in FSX or Prepar3d. Depending on how things were done with the interior and the flight dynamics, it could easily be a payware project. I did a bit of a look around and readily found a tool to convert Blender models to FSX, and was watching a video on how to use Blender to build a FSX aircraft model. As I probably have said before, previous attempts at modeling either version (200 or 300) were kind of sad, even if the VC did include the control animations. I'd tried to fix the flight dynamics, but found that once I got the speed and altitude fixed, the engines would power the plane through the sound barrier at flight idle, and the brakes wouldn't hold it in place on the ground. Apparently I need to learn more about engine thrust tables...

Again, a superb job.

To model an aircraft accurately in FSX, the first thing you have to do is get the propulsion system modeled accurately. If you don't get that nailed down first, your aero work will always be off somewhere in the flight envelope. Also, FSX doesn't properly model supersonic propulsion, so you would be better off writing a propulsion gauge/app to overwrite the FSX system.

If you were just trying to get it to work using the values in the config file, then that just won't get you where you need to be. You can get supersonic fde's to work in FS, but they're never completely correct because of the limitations. If you want a chance at getting kind of accurate, I recommend you pick up Air Wrench over at mudpond.org . I've used Gerry's flight dynamics workbook before, but for most people Air Wrench is what I recommend. He's done great work for us before.

However, I would love to see the production version of the 2707 or the L2000 in flight sim. I was looking at modeling one of the Douglas SST designs from the 80's, because I have a lot of flight performance data on it from a NASA simulation, but it's just too much work.

Got my copy of the print today. If any of you guys are on the fence about getting one (assuming galgot is willing) don't hesitate. GET ONE! This is a very high quality print, not just a poster. Excellent paper, excellent print quality. Better than I'd even hoped for.

MaxLegroom said:

Again, a superb job.

Thanks, yes, would be nice in a flight sim for sure. I don't play flight sims though.
And the model would require some work I think. It's now 790000 polys , I know recent flight sim models can be very hi-poly, but don't know if it would take that… Also all the windows are alpha textures and bump to make the "border" look realistic, no modeling .
And of course no interior, just placeholders objects to block vision through windows.

Problem is i'm doing several things at the same time, some texture liveries for this model, some renders, and some other things completely unrelated. And I also have that idea of doing a 3d printable version of this plane. But don't know when I'll start it, though I shouldn't delay too much because some big works coming in the coming months, and i'll not have much time for it… Anyway, here some small profiles renders of the model with the Prototype and PanAm liveries, I don't have good "in scene" images of these yet.

2707-200-059-1300x260.jpg

2707-200-044-1300x260.jpg

sferrin said:
Got my copy of the print today. If any of you guys are on the fence about getting one (assuming galgot is willing) don't hesitate. GET ONE! This is a very high quality print, not just a poster. Excellent paper, excellent print quality. Better than I'd even hoped for.

:) Again, happy you like it !

Awesome! Those side profiles would make good book marks. ;)