1965 ADF (Advanced Day Fighter) concept formulation studies

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Another memory lane one. I recall seeing a very small photo in an American magazine I was leafing through at a Plane Fair in Luton of a model of a single engined mini-F111 alongside the normal F111. No info was given, but it was from the early 70s and presumably GD. No mention anywhere in any books.

Does anyone have the model or know more?

UK 75

Only Picture I have of something like that is this....i have no idea what it is

Attachments

• US- General Dynamics F-111 scaled down.jpg
    US- General Dynamics F-111 scaled down.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,832
Looks kinda wide at the tail. Are you sure it's single-engined?

JAZZ said:
Only Picture I have of something like that is this....i have no idea what it is

It would appear to be a VFAX entry, dating from the period before VFAX was rolled into LWF - although I can't be certain?

It was one of the "mystery aircrafts" on the original Scott's APR site. My guess is that it was the GD VAX entry. Boeing did the same with a mini-TFX, Model 837-663 (the Navy called it the F-55.5 'cause it resembled half a 111...) .

The photo is scanned, presumably, from an Airpower/Wings from 1978, in an article about the F-111. Little info was given, probably because little was known to the author. Another photo showed the underside--definitely single-engined. I noticed these photos were part of the thumbnail index Scott L. posted of his recent trip to the Jay Miller archives, so I'm faintly hoping he also uncovered some further documentation.

Apteryx said:
Another photo showed the underside--definitely single-engined. I noticed these photos were part of the thumbnail index Scott L. posted of his recent trip to the Jay Miller archives, so I'm faintly hoping he also uncovered some further documentation.

So far just the photos. However, from the photos I am *not* convinced that it's single-engined. It looks like some bizarre mutant... two engines exhausting through a single widened set of turkeyfeathers.

Attachments

• minif111.jpg
    minif111.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • minif111feathers.jpg
    minif111feathers.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 799
There was an Australian proposal for a VG advanced jet trainer in the 60s-70s-80s by CAC. It kind of looked like a mini F-111. Will consult some texts when home from work and post the data here tomorrow.

... however, from the photos I am *not* convinced that it's single-engined. It looks like some bizarre mutant... two engines exhausting through a single widened set of turkeyfeathers...

Yeah, that's odd...that detail wasn't visible in the magazine, which I dug out tonight. Airpower, July 1979. Article by Jay Miller, natch. The caption for the two photos:

"Another project was the progenitor of today's F-16. A small, lightweight F-111 configuration was envisioned as being the airplane GD should submit for the lightweight fighter competition. In these photos F-111 heritage is readily apparent as is (sic) stepping stone to F-16. Note unusual air-to-air missiles mounted underneath fuselage and beginnings of blended body concept."

This site is truly amazing and awesome. Many thanks for the pic and the extra underside view. I wonder if the GD design was aimed at the late 60s precursor to the F16 and F18. It does also look a lot like the BAC P45 vg trainer/strike aircraft.

UK 75

For comparison, FX/LWF fighter studies from http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1335

index.php

index.php

^^^^^ Is there any chance to know stimated dimensions of the last model?

Since I saw it in Buttler's American Secret Projects I want to build something in this line.

BTW: this is my first post in this forum. But some of you can known me from What if forum.

Best regards to all of you

Un placer encontrarte aquí, Carlos.

Nice to see you here, Carlos.

You'll find a wealth of knowledge and graphic inspiration for your work.

Rafa

Bienvenido!

Yup. TONS of insipiration for your builds here. The search engine works very well!

Anyone got a primary source for the ADF (Advanced Day Fighter) requirement from 1965 other than General Dynamics material on the LWF? Everyone seems to be quoting the same single source (Harry Hillaker)

It seems like General Dynamics self-funded their ADF research and development.

Were any contracts actually issued for concept formulation studies to any manufacturers?

So Scott - did you ever find out what this mini-me F-111 was?

Looks like the missing link between F-111 and ADF - LWF - F-16.

Attachments

• myster11.jpg
    myster11.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 792
  • ADF.jpg
    ADF.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 795
Fixed Wing ADF

I can't remember if I found the attached pic here (SPF) or at Scott's site. But, you get to see the swing variant from the bottom view as well.

Attachments

• Mini-F-111.jpg
    Mini-F-111.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 796
About the 'mini me F-111'....

An other project was the progenitor of to day's F-16.A small lightweight F-111
configuratonn was originally envisioned as being the airplane G.D. should submit
for the light weight fighter competition. In the photo's F-111 heritage is readily apparent
as is stepping stone to F-16. Note unusual air-to-air missiles mounted underneath
fuselage and beginnings of blended body concept.

Jay Miller : "F-111 Billion dollar blunder, or answer to the loss of the B-1"

Same pictures and text shown on page 26 & 27 of the magazine- Airpower July 1979.