1958 USAF Escape & Evasion mission A/C

RAP

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I was not sure where this would go so feel free to move if there is a topic it will fit in. This is an Air Force design for a rescue plane to retrive SAC crews that bailed out over enemy territory. Even includes it own mobile weapons carrier that could lauch small nukes to keep bad guys away while picking up downed crews.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5899) copy.jpg
    Screenshot (5899) copy.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 76
I think we spoke about it before,but where ?.

I was not sure where this would go so feel free to move if there is a topic it will fit in. This is an Air Force design for a rescue plane to retrive SAC crews that bailed out over enemy territory. Even includes it own mobile weapons carrier that could lauch small nukes to keep bad guys away while picking up downed crews.
Interesting. The SAC E&E (Escape & Evasion) requirement was first addressed in the late 1940s with the evaluation of the Douglas YC-129 and procurement of the Northrop YC-125B.

I'm wondering if the AvWeek images are a trial balloon from Armond Thieblot (either before or after he rejoined Fairchild). There are some common threads from Thieblot/Fairchild development and designs such as the floorless fuselage (first proposed in a C-119 development of the XC-120 Packplane) to the empennage and use of the RR Dart Engines.

Back
Top Bottom