Register here

Author Topic: US Prompt Global Strike Capability  (Read 221994 times)

Offline bobbymike

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bobbymike

Re: US Prompt Global Strike Capability
« Reply #826 on: January 31, 2018, 10:22:30 pm »
https://www.military.com/defensetech/2018/01/31/us-losing-its-advantage-race-hypersonic-technology-selva.html?ESRC=dod-bz.nl&spMailingID=1222495&spUserID=Mjk3OTgyNTY0MzkS1&spJobID=480019819&spReportId=NDgwMDE5ODE5S0

Just consider what was being done in the 50s and 60s yes 50 and 60 years ago. Now we get a flight test every two years or something. The failure to pursue and build so many promising technologies............
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline sferrin

« Reply #827 on: February 01, 2018, 04:05:38 am »
https://www.military.com/defensetech/2018/01/31/us-losing-its-advantage-race-hypersonic-technology-selva.html?ESRC=dod-bz.nl&spMailingID=1222495&spUserID=Mjk3OTgyNTY0MzkS1&spJobID=480019819&spReportId=NDgwMDE5ODE5S0

Just consider what was being done in the 50s and 60s yes 50 and 60 years ago. Now we get a flight test every two years or something. The failure to pursue and build so many promising technologies............

As I said in another thread, China will lead where we fear to go.  They set a goal and make it happen.  We're more like the Keystone Cops, with any advancements almost by chance and temporary.  (The notable exception is fighter engines.  Now imagine we had that much consistent drive in all disciplines. That's China.)
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Flyaway

« Reply #828 on: February 01, 2018, 11:45:32 pm »

As I said in another thread, China will lead where we fear to go.  They set a goal and make it happen.  We're more like the Keystone Cops, with any advancements almost by chance and temporary.  (The notable exception is fighter engines.  Now imagine we had that much consistent drive in all disciplines. That's China.)

The only problem with this pet theory of yours is I imagine much of the US’s hypersonic research is classified so therefore impossible to know the progress of.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #829 on: February 02, 2018, 01:33:32 am »

The only problem with this pet theory of yours is I imagine much of the US’s hypersonic research is classified so therefore impossible to know the progress of.
Sferrin is using current facts as to the nature of each countries observable reality to draw a reasonable conclusion your “we can’t know because it’s classified” is pure speculation by definition of it being classified.

So at this point sferrin is making a reasonable assumption while you are not.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:31:25 am by bobbymike »

Charles W. Eliot

Offline sferrin

« Reply #830 on: February 02, 2018, 04:20:10 am »

The only problem with this pet theory of yours is the plethora of failed, or aborted, programs when it comes to hypersonics in the white world.  When the only example of a "success" trumpeted about was actually a failure (the X-51 didn't reach anything like the speed or acceleration it was intended to) to think that there is some miracle going on in the black world we don't know about is a bit of a stretch. To be polite.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #831 on: February 02, 2018, 06:42:41 am »
Despite my negativism (I really want there to be classified programs) hopefully at least there is a fire being lit under DC, DOD and industry. I do have optimism in the 'bucks for Buck Rogers" theory and the innovation capabilities of American industry/enterprise.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/raytheon-may-build-hypersonic-weapons-keep-america-ahead-24269

http://aviationweek.com/defense/hypersonic-race-heats-boeing-reusable-demonstrator-concept?NL=AW-05&Issue=AW-05_20180202_AW-05_931&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_1&utm_rid=CPEN1000000230026&utm_campaign=13468&utm_medium=email&elq2=41d0b8f49ffd4a3abeb620d531685b74

Boeing is raising the stakes in the accelerating race for U.S. hypersonic leadership by positioning itself to develop a potential future Mach 5-plus strike-and-reconnaissance aircraft.

The move, which was signaled by the unexpected unveiling of a reusable hypersonic demonstrator concept vehicle at an aerospace science and research conference in Florida in early January, directly challenges Lockheed Martin. In 2013, Lockheed revealed plans to develop a Mach 6 successor to the long-retired SR-71 Blackbird.

Boeing’s ambitious plan emerges amid continuing signs of a significant upswing in U.S. hypersonic research and development and builds on decades of design experience gained through a variety of high-speed rocket and air-breathing-powered programs. The sharply swept delta-wing vehicle concept notably leverages the X-43 and X-51A hypersonic demonstrator programs but also incorporates several design features from projects produced from companies Boeing later acquired, including the Mach 3 XB-70 Valkyrie experimental bomber project.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #832 on: February 13, 2018, 09:18:33 am »
Title: Air Launched Rapid response Weapon (ARRW)
Description: Integrates Air Force and DARPA enabled system technologies into a prototype that will
demonstrate the viability of this concept to be fielded as a long range prompt strike capability. ARRW will
design, develop, manufacture, and test, a number of prototype vehicles to inform decisions concerning ARRW
acquisition and production.

ARRW Aquisition Strategy - The Air Force applied funding to an existing DARPA other transaction authority contract to Lockheed Martin in order to leverage the synergistic efforts ongoing in the Tactical Boost Glide technology demonstration. The cost type contract incentives schedule through milestone payments. The government agency responsible for managing this program is the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Armament Directorate, Eglin AFB FL.

HCSW - The Air Force is conducting a limited source competition for the rapid development of a hypersonic, conventional air-launched, stand-off weapon. An IDIQ contract will be awarded to a single offeror to develop/test all elements of the end-to-end system, integration with existing bomber/fighter Aircraft, all respective operations/mission planning and sustainment efforts, to include operational safety, suitability, and effectiveness. Contract award is anticipated in the second quarter of FY 2018. The government agency responsible for managing this program is the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Armament Directorate, Eglin AFB FL.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:22:11 am by bring_it_on »
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline sferrin

« Reply #833 on: February 13, 2018, 11:24:38 am »
I hope they consider rocket power for the ARRW.  Something like a modern Skybolt could fit the bill. 

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #834 on: February 13, 2018, 02:50:07 pm »
https://warontherocks.com/2018/02/asia-inf/

Consider the military benefits, if the United States was able to deploy conventional ground-launched intermediate-range missiles in the Western Pacific.

Been saying this for years. Although I've also thought a converted LHA using Columbia CMC tubes by the dozens would be nice as well. Or years from now salvage the missile launch tubes from retiring Ohios

Charles W. Eliot

Offline sferrin

« Reply #835 on: February 13, 2018, 02:59:12 pm »
https://warontherocks.com/2018/02/asia-inf/

Consider the military benefits, if the United States was able to deploy conventional ground-launched intermediate-range missiles in the Western Pacific.

Been saying this for years. Although I've also thought a converted LHA using Columbia CMC tubes by the dozens would be nice as well. Or years from now salvage the missile launch tubes from retiring Ohios

Hell, with ATK's KEI-based IRBM (3 or 4 to an Ohio cell as I recall) we could have had one years ago.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #836 on: February 13, 2018, 04:41:30 pm »
I hope they consider rocket power for the ARRW.  Something like a modern Skybolt could fit the bill.

ARRW is going to be leveraging technology from DARPA's TBG which would hint at boost glide weapon. HCSW appears to be more near term since they will be at source selection very soon.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #837 on: February 15, 2018, 02:52:15 am »
HAWC/TBG/OpFires (DARPA FY19 Budget)

Offline dark sidius

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #838 on: February 15, 2018, 04:23:26 am »
I see nothing about a reusable hypersonic system ?

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #839 on: February 15, 2018, 05:58:23 am »
I see nothing about a reusable hypersonic system ?

AFRE is funded and the TBCC system is expected to have its CDR in FY19. XS-1 is funded as well.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:04:43 am by bring_it_on »