Register here

Author Topic: US Prompt Global Strike Capability  (Read 257844 times)

Offline bring_it_on

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: US Prompt Global Strike Capability
« Reply #975 on: January 10, 2019, 11:12:00 am »
Thanks Sfferin! FE-2 currently planned by end of FY20..

The DOD budget request for FY2019 indicates that it will conduct a second flight test by the end of FY2020. The budget request also contains no funds for the OSD-wide account for Prompt Global Strike Capability Development after FY2019 and indicates that “Conventional Prompt Strike program and funding transfers to the Navy” starting in FY2020. Moreover, funding for the program is expected to increase significantly, from a request for $278 million in FY2019 to a request for $478 million in FY2022, for a total of $1.9 billion between FY2019 and FY2022. This is more than twice the amount expected over a five-year period in the FY2018 budget request.

FY18

In June 2018, the Pentagon submitted a reprogramming request to Congress that added $159.5 million to the FY2018 budget for Prompt Global Strike Capability Development. According to the documents supporting the reprogramming request, $40.0 million would increase production of the hypersonic glide vehicles and prototypes, possibly to five per year, to support the Navy’s CPS program; $34.5 million would address the lack of autoclaves (high-temperature and pressure ovens) needed to produce the thermal protection systems for the CPS hypersonic glide vehicles; and $20.0 million would improve the test and evaluation (T&E) infrastructure needed to support full-scale testing of the CPS system. The request also included $65 million to support an accelerated demonstration of a new land-launched hypersonics capability. With this reprogramming request in place, funding for Prompt Global Strike Capability Development in FY2018 totaled $374.9 million.1

FY19

The budget documents indicate that, in FY2019, the program will focus on manufacturing and testing the booster and hypersonic glide body that will be used in the second Flight Experiment test and begin manufacturing and testing of the hypersonic glide body that will be used in the third test. It will also, among other tasks, “continue studies for future system development to examine cost, lethality, aerodynamic and thermal characteristics” and “conduct trade studies to evaluate system alternatives, affordability, and end-to-end system concepts.” Congress, in the National Defense Authorization Act for FY2019 (P.L. 115-232), increased funding for Prompt Global Strike Capability Development to $413.4 million, adding $150 million to accelerate the program. This total represents an increase of 57% over the Administration’s request for FY2019, and an increase of 40% over the amount approved for FY2018 when the July 2018 reprogramming request is included in the total. Congress also increased funding for the program in the Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2019 (P.L. 115-245), by $186 million, to a total of $466.9 million.
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline LowObservable

« Reply #976 on: January 11, 2019, 06:21:04 am »

Offline aonestudio

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #977 on: January 30, 2019, 07:54:44 am »
30 January 2019

The US Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) issued a sources sought notification on 22 January to solicit potential tenders for the upgrade of the Launch Test Complex (LTC) at Naval Air Weapons Station (NAWS) China Lake, California, to support the Conventional Prompt Strike (CPS) weapon programme.

https://www.janes.com/article/86047/us-navy-to-develop-china-lake-to-support-cps-weapon-testing

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #978 on: February 26, 2019, 08:58:30 pm »
2/26/19

Lockheed Martin Space, Littleton, Colorado, is awarded a maximum amount $846,030,000 un-priced letter contract modification PH0001 to a previously awarded and announced un-priced letter contract (N00030-19-C-0025) for the design, development, build and integration of large diameter rocket motors, associated missile body flight articles, and related support equipment for Navy Intermediate Range Conventional Prompt Strike Weapon System flight test demonstrations. Work will be performed at Littleton, Colorado, with an expected completion date of Jan. 1, 2024. Fiscal 2018 research, development, test, and evaluation funds in the amount of $20,000,000 are obligated on this award, which will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. Fiscal 2019 research, development, test, and evaluation funds in the amount of $67,000,000 are being obligated on this award, which will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. Strategic Systems Programs, Washington, District of Columbia, is the contracting activity.

Offline seruriermarshal

« Reply #979 on: February 27, 2019, 04:13:41 pm »
ARRW or TBG

Offline Flyaway

« Reply #980 on: March 06, 2019, 02:27:31 pm »
Defense contractor Raytheon just signed a $63.3 million contract with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to develop a “tactical boost glide” (TBG) hypersonic weapons program.

The weapon system could reach hypersonic speeds of up to five times the sound barrier thanks to a rocket engine. A payload will then glide the rest of the way to the intended target — completely unpowered, without the ability to accelerate again. But operators will be able to maneuver it from a distance.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/raytheon-hypersonic-tactical-boost-glide

Offline DrRansom

« Reply #981 on: March 06, 2019, 05:43:09 pm »
seruriermarshal - where are those pictures from and what stand?

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #982 on: March 06, 2019, 06:17:53 pm »
Those appear to be HTV2 pictures from the AFA"s AWS19 floor..

Source - https://twitter.com/TheDEWLine/status/1100892943995539456
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:20:58 pm by bring_it_on »

Offline Flyaway

« Reply #983 on: March 07, 2019, 02:18:54 am »
The
@AFResearchLab
, which is having a busy week, released a new video showing the X-60A concept for a liquid fuel rocket testbed for hypersonic flight conditions. The X-60A also just passed a critical design review.

https://twitter.com/TheDEWLine/status/1103454266428178433

Offline sferrin

"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #985 on: March 22, 2019, 02:37:06 pm »
"In enemy hands, the new class of hypersonic speed maneuvering missiles may pose the greatest threat to the U.S. Navy’s heavily defended battle groups. At the same time, designing a hypersonic glide vehicle compatible with a submarine’s underwater launching system presents the hardest engineering task in a technology area that has eluded American mastery for decades.

It is perhaps no surprise, then, that the $10.5 billion war chest wedged into the Defense Department’s latest five-year spending proposal is dominated by the Navy’s Conventional Prompt Strike (CPS) program. Fulfilling its two assigned tasks—developing a common hypersonic glide vehicle that can be adapted for ground- and air-launch, plus demonstrating a sea-launched version with an integrated booster and glider—consumes about 55% of all U.S. military spending on offensive and defensive hypersonic weapons technology over the next five years, budget documents show. "

https://aviationweek.com/defense/us-accelerates-hypersonic-weapons-push-new-spending-plan

Offline stealthflanker

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #986 on: March 25, 2019, 08:17:57 pm »
"In enemy hands, the new class of hypersonic speed maneuvering missiles may pose the greatest threat to the U.S. Navy’s heavily defended battle groups. At the same time, designing a hypersonic glide vehicle compatible with a submarine’s underwater launching system presents the hardest engineering task in a technology area that has eluded American mastery for decades.

It is perhaps no surprise, then, that the $10.5 billion war chest wedged into the Defense Department’s latest five-year spending proposal is dominated by the Navy’s Conventional Prompt Strike (CPS) program. Fulfilling its two assigned tasks—developing a common hypersonic glide vehicle that can be adapted for ground- and air-launch, plus demonstrating a sea-launched version with an integrated booster and glider—consumes about 55% of all U.S. military spending on offensive and defensive hypersonic weapons technology over the next five years, budget documents show. "

https://aviationweek.com/defense/us-accelerates-hypersonic-weapons-push-new-spending-plan

Sounds like the navy wants Tomahawk sized, which can be made compatible with existing attack boats and basically shares infrastructures with other services.  Basically US version of Zircon but with tighter constraint.

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
  • I am not actually here.
« Reply #987 on: March 25, 2019, 08:54:36 pm »
At the same time, designing a hypersonic glide vehicle compatible with a submarine’s underwater launching system presents the hardest engineering task in a technology area that has eluded American mastery for decades.

This is false. The Navy and Lockheed have been flying them on Trident test flights for years. These tail kits were very near production before Congress decided to stop funding them.

Even fitting a SWERVE-derived vehicle like AHW to a smaller booster compatible with the Virginia Payload Module is not some "hardest engineering task". It has been done and flight tested.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #988 on: March 26, 2019, 03:12:44 am »

Sounds like the navy wants Tomahawk sized, which can be made compatible with existing attack boats and basically shares infrastructures with other services.  Basically US version of Zircon but with tighter constraint.

Doesn't sound like that to me at all.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #989 on: March 26, 2019, 05:47:07 am »

Doesn't sound like that to me at all.

Me either.  Bet it ends up KEI-sized and stuffed in a module on Virginias.