Register here

Author Topic: Very high speed torpedoes VA-111 Shkval  (Read 6411 times)

Offline GWrecks

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • Big Wingy Thingy
Re: Very high speed torpedoes VA-111 Shkval
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 09:21:18 pm »
This is a very dumb and relatively off-topic question, but what happens if you make a torpedo go supersonic underwater? Is there any difference in effect due to the sonic boom? Not like making something go that fast is realistic, of course...
↑↑↓↓LRLRBA

Online stealthflanker

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 10:29:34 pm »
This is a very dumb and relatively off-topic question, but what happens if you make a torpedo go supersonic underwater? Is there any difference in effect due to the sonic boom? Not like making something go that fast is realistic, of course...

It would be similar as one on air except that the medium is alot denser.  You might still have sonic boom but now your sonic boom comes with a tsunami.

Offline ungern

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 08:03:03 am »
Thank you for the thread .

A first question : is it possible for the topedoe to change of direction while it use supracavitation ?

A second question : why there is no submarine who use supracavitation ?

A third question : a shot of dam with depth charges couldn't be enough to do explose the torpedoes against a wall of water after that the supracavitation has been disturb ?

Offline ungern

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 08:04:59 am »
Thank you for the thread .

A first question : is it possible for the topedoe to change of direction while it use supracavitation ?

A second question : why there is no submarine who use supracavitation ?

A third question : a shot of dam with depth charges couldn't be enough to do explose the torpedoes against a wall of water after that the supracavitation has been disturb by the depths charges ?

Offline Brickmuppet

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 04:37:19 pm »
1: Yes. I understand that at least one version of shikval was wire guided. I believe it had at least some maneuverability by poking vanes outside the bubble.

2: A few possibilities:
    A: It would be very expensive and the equipment for generating the bubble would take a lot of internal volume.
    B: The gas has to come from somewhere which would put a hard limit on the duration of a high speed run. (It's possible that something might be done with a nuclear reactor boiling seawater, but that would be a dubious proposition for a host of reasons).
    C: The hull forms optimized for supercavitation and those useful for underwater stealth are not similar in any ay except having a circular cross section. The craft would be essentially blind while supercavitating.

3: I'm not sure I understand your question. If you are asking is it possible to stop this weapon by creating gas bubbles via explosions to disrupt its supercavitating envelope, I'm not sure. I think it would pass through any bubble like it would its own. However, regarding the specific example of depth charges, large underwater explosions in close proximity tend to be quite detrimental to hulls of any type.

Offline ungern

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 08:56:30 pm »
A big thank you for this very interesting answer that answers all my questions .

Thank you again.