Register here

Author Topic: Beyond the Rainbow: Republic Turboprop and Jet Airliners  (Read 21699 times)

Offline circle-5

• Concept Models Guy
  • Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Beyond the Rainbow: Republic Turboprop and Jet Airliners
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 11:44:36 pm »
An early jet development of the Republic Rainbow, probably from the late 1940s. Four engines in stacked pairs will re-appear on Republic's UTX proposal (see photos here and here).  Between the V-tail surfaces is a large door, probably the upper half of a clamshell rear loading ramp.

Photos courtesy Tony Buttler.

Offline nugo

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 02:35:43 am »
  Hi All and personally circle-5!
 Thank you very much my friend circle-5!
 It is a very interesting development of the  XF-12/Rainbow.
 Model designation maybe---AP-3? or AP-4? and maybe transport (primarily for personnel  and also cargo) aircraft proposal for  USAF purpose.

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 02:47:25 am »
I just can second nugo, many thanks ! Very tempting indeed .... ;)
If there are no doubts about the relation to the Rainbow, I think, we should merge it with this thread :
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,561.msg66653.html#msg66653
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:22:29 pm by Jemiba »
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Online hesham

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 10:59:33 am »
Excellent work Circle-5,

and I agree with you my dear Jemiba.

Offline circle-5

• Concept Models Guy
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 11:51:19 am »
Another jet variant of the Republic Rainbow, with a conventional tail. The 4 jet engines are still in pairs, but are now arranged side-by-side. Rear loading doors are still present under the tail.  I suppose these doors (and the high wing arrangement) were in response to a long-forgotten USAF logistics requirement.  The prominent fairing between the intakes is for the main landing gear.

I don't know which variant came first: the V-tail shown above, or this one.

Offline GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 12:12:29 pm »
Wow!  I love that first version!  Great find.

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 12:16:12 pm »
...The prominent fairing between the intakes is for the main landing gear.

The V-tail variant then had it in the fuselage, I assume ? Or a bicycle type with outriggers ?

Offline circle-5

• Concept Models Guy
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 01:13:53 pm »
...The prominent fairing between the intakes is for the main landing gear.

The V-tail variant then had it in the fuselage, I assume ? Or a bicycle type with outriggers ?

I don't know, but the main gear could also be in the stacked engine pod, below the bottom engine. That would also keep the landing gear legs reasonably short.

Offline circle-5

• Concept Models Guy
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 02:16:39 pm »
This beauty was likely the last civilian project of any kind from Republic Aviation. An all-new, purely commercial medium passenger aircraft, it boasted low swept wings, a T-tail, podded engines and a streamlined cockpit reminiscent of the defunct Rainbow.

Based on the spurious registration number, this might be the elusive Republic Advanced Project No. 25 (AP-25). Of course, this is barely an educated guess -- if I'm wrong, please have your people talk to my people.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:25:50 pm by circle-5 »

Offline nugo

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 10:00:17 pm »
 Hi All and personally circle-5!
 Thanks, thanks, thanks...
 Can not be that this project would have designation of AP-25;
 My two arguments:
  1) AP---is the designation of the military projects.
  2) AP-25---is the designation of the military draft mid-1940s years, and this project with swept surfaces(wing of the Thunderstreak and  fin of the XF-84H), the development of the 1950s years.

Offline circle-5

• Concept Models Guy
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 12:08:15 pm »
Okey Dokey. Thank you for the clarification. AP-25 was just a guess. If anybody has more info on these Republic airliner designs, this is a good place to enlighten the masses.

Online hesham

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 02:55:59 pm »
Marvelous work Circle-5.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 05:30:07 am »
OMIGOD. I can't begin to express how thrilled I am at the contents of this thread... You've made my day, circle-5!!! Thank you so much, and I also extend my utmost gratitude to Tony Buttler for sharing these with you.
I totally agree with nugo that the designation AP-25 was much too early to apply to the third project, and went back to 1945 or about (AP-24 was the YOA-15 Seabee). However, and though he is correct in asserting that "AP-" was used for military projects, it's not entirely true. It was used for ARMY projects (Navy projects, which were few, carried the NP- prefix). There is a likelihood that at some point in the 1950s the prefix simply was used for all projects and might have read as "Advanced Project" but there is no confirmation of this.
Anyway, considering the beauty of these models and designs, and the tragic loss of the Republic archives (because of the idiotic handling of Fairchild's executive management), it is an absolute thrill when such projects by Republic suddenly resurface from other sources!

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 11:20:43 am »
Courtesy of lark:

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 10:32:58 am »
A long, long time ago, in a forum not far away .... I said, I'll make a drawing of the jet transport derivative of the Rainbow.
As already well known in Germany for airports, railway stations or other big projects, it took a little bit longer ... but here at
least the costs remained the same !   ;)

I started with the assumption, that as many components of the original Rainbow as possible would have been used, at least
in modified form. The forward fuselage seems to have a somewhat different glazing but more or less remained unchanged, but
the rear part got a completely new, wider shape for incorporarting the loading ramp, the tail was modified, too, accordingly. The
wing was moved from the middle to the shoulder position, but planform seems to be identical, changes (hinge lines for ailerons
and flaps) probably were a result of the underslung single nacelle on each side, contrary to the former two with the wingn running
through.
A more difficult point was the landing gear, not shown on the model. In order not to need too long main gear legs, the nose gear
 would have been to be shortened considerable, but that not impossible, I think. Asuming, that the main legs would have been
attached to the main spar, as in the Rainbow, length was determined then by the length of the protruding nacelle. Single wheeled
main gear would be unsuitable then, so I switched to legs with twin (smaller) wheels, fortunately allowing for sufficient tail clearance
during take-off rotation. For the drawing without landing gear, I would claim source grade 3, as I could rely on Rainbow drawings,
with landing gear 2, at best. Clues and critics welcome.
BTW, I checked several drawings of the Rainbow and found considerable discrepencies ! Anybody an idea, what's the best ?

I hope, to present something more colourful soon, and the V-tail variant, too. Just have a look at the development of the new
Berlin BER airport for estimating the probable waiting time  ...