Register here

Author Topic: The general Cyberpunk thread  (Read 201 times)

Offline Grey Havoc

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • The path not taken.
The general Cyberpunk thread
« on: September 14, 2018, 01:33:56 am »
Given the distinct trend that real world events have taken lately, I thought it was long since time for a dedicated cyberpunk thread. For both real world examples as well as the fictional (e.g. universes such as The Sprawl [Neuromancer], Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2020, etc.). I'll start off things with this little jokey blast from the past:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/are-you-a-cyberpunk-this-early-1990s-poster-explains-i-1231691511
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
Re: The general Cyberpunk thread
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 11:03:19 am »

A bit of Cyberpunk 2020 universe lore (the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game is part of that universe).
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:08:35 am »
I really think there are plenty much more appropriate places on web for discussing cyberpank than SPF.
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline GWrecks

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • Tailless Kitsunemimi
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:52:03 pm »
I really think there are plenty much more appropriate places on web for discussing cyberpank than SPF.

I used to think that too, but after pitching various setting ideas for a friend's video game regarding a setting where man and machine and corporatism and AI and whatever he said it sounded cyberpunk.

I personally interpreted it as "21st century dieselpunk" (As in what would happen if you took the 20th century's warhawk mentality and gave them 21st century gear). I imagine that would be more fitting for this board, just look at what's posted in the F/A-XX, B-21, FVL, etc. threads.
↑↑↓↓LRLRBA