Register here

Author Topic: End of the Internet as we know it, at least in Europe?  (Read 864 times)

Offline poky

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
    • midnight greys
Re: End of the Internet as we know it, at least in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 09:28:20 am »
VPN sales will go to the roof if this gets thru
Greetings Mondria
-------------------------------------------
site to my sculpting work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.com/

Offline sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 10:12:22 am »
"STRASBOURG (Reuters) - The European Unionís chief executive on Wednesday proposed hefty fines on Google, Facebook, Twitter and other online platforms if they fail to remove extremist content within one hour. "

So who gets to decide what is "extremist"?  I'll bet we can guess how that will play out.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Archibald

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 11:05:24 am »
Currently laughing my a$$ off.
I've been dowloading music on the Internet since 2009, and I can tell you, I've seen a load of downloading systems rise and fall. E-mule, ournia, dilandau, the *original free* Deezer, and a bunch of others. Every time one died, a bunch of others apeared soon thereafter. Last trick: put some "magic word" into the youtube adress and tadaaam, access to all uploaders. Of course, they die one after another, but then, another apears.
So I'm not worried so far.
The bottom line: the power to download, and not only listen, Youtube, is too strong to be killed. It just like war on drugs. The fight will never end. Just like human ingenuity (for good or worse, unfortunately) - look at the Prohibition, palestinian vs Israel, war on drugs, or the Vietnam war. 
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Profanity: weaker mind trying to speak forcefully

Political correctness: just bury your head in the sand for the sake of appeasement and "peace for our time"
- https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Dassault#Affaires_

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 12:40:18 pm »
Currently laughing my a$$ off.
I've been dowloading music on the Internet since 2009, and I can tell you, I've seen a load of downloading systems rise and fall. E-mule, ournia, dilandau, the *original free* Deezer, and a bunch of others. Every time one died, a bunch of others apeared soon thereafter. Last trick: put some "magic word" into the youtube adress and tadaaam, access to all uploaders. Of course, they die one after another, but then, another apears.
So I'm not worried so far.
The bottom line: the power to download, and not only listen, Youtube, is too strong to be killed. It just like war on drugs. The fight will never end. Just like human ingenuity (for good or worse, unfortunately) - look at the Prohibition, palestinian vs Israel, war on drugs, or the Vietnam war.

I don't think they're talking about pirated content, but more mainstream use.

Online PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 05:13:45 pm »
Its not about the pirates. Its about people who operate under fair use and fair dealing or the grey areas of the law.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/09/how-eus-copyright-filters-will-make-it-trivial-anyone-censor-internet

Its a diabolically poor law, ripe for misuse, near impossible to implement technically. Just what you expect from a bunch of clueless politicians.

Content sharing sites such as this forum will be directly liable en masse for any errors in rights management committed by their users. It also makes linking to content something you have to pay the site you are linking to for.

Link to a news story? Violation! Copy the first sentence from the article? Double Violation!

The only defence allowed is the implementation of an automated content take down service to allow rights holders to register, submit their content claims and remove any work they deem infringes their copyright. If the system takes longer than 1 hour from notice to removal, you are operating illegally. There is no right of dispute, no claim of fair use, satire, parody, no burden of proof.

Nobody running a small website like this can even attempt to build such a system - Youtube's ContentID system cost them $60 millon to set up.

To remain compliant, you'd have to shift to Reddit or another big platform. No choice to stay legal.

Then sit back and watch as, say, Boeing assert copyright on all images of Boeing aircraft, and you find the photo you took of a Boeing plane at the airport gets removed. That photo of a model you took and uploaded to Wikimedia as public domain is taken by one of the big picture libraries, then asserted as theirs, and now you can't post it anywhere because the automated content systems remove it.

This already happens to artists of all kinds in small numbers.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:32:36 pm by PaulMM (Overscan) »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline sferrin

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 05:40:30 pm »
I hope we're not so stupid as to implement something like this here in the US but I don't have high hopes.  Just look at all the stupidity / hysteria around "net neutrality".  Too many people in positions of power eager to abuse the potential of the internet.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 09:21:47 pm »
And people make fun of those of us who want small, limited government. "Libertarians are just greedy and selfish."

Feh.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Archibald

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 10:05:41 pm »
Note that all the music I downloaded is for my own little private use (it goes on a USB for my car). I've done a small amount of space-themed videos using that music as background (using MKVT) but never uploaded any on Youtube. I keep them for myself.
If I uploaded some of these videos, would that cause any trouble ?

Political correctness: just bury your head in the sand for the sake of appeasement and "peace for our time"

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 11:31:19 pm »

I have seen *many* YouTube videos that had been yanked and stretches of them made silent and then re-uploaded because the copyright owners of such-and-such a song issued a copyright strike.

Gentlemen, behold:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenz_v._Universal_Music_Corp.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Archibald

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 03:58:05 am »
So the guy managed to win against Universal, Prince and Youtube, and re-uipload his song. He managed to prove that the three had abused of their power. Interesting.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 04:09:55 am »

I have seen *many* YouTube videos that had been yanked and stretches of them made silent and then re-uploaded because the copyright owners of such-and-such a song issued a copyright strike.

Gentlemen, behold:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenz_v._Universal_Music_Corp.

On the other hand I got two strikes in the space of 24 hours for downloading a guys shaky-cam F-35 video, putting it through image stabilization, uploading it to my channel, and linking back to his original for credit.  I was trying to help him out and that was the thanks I got.   :P
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:11:48 am by sferrin »

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 05:48:19 am »