Register here

Author Topic: The Man in the High Castle  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Graham1973

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: The Man in the High Castle
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 05:18:02 pm »
It is worth remembering that Philip K Dick's book has our reality as the alternative to the nightmare of a Nazi and Imperial Japan partition of the USA.

It's been a few decades, but IIRC, the alternate history book written in TMITHC was sort of a *third* reality. It was one where the Allies won, but it was very different from ours.

Yes it is, someone on DeviantArts called QuantumBranching made an attempt at mapping it out in 2015, how much of what they created came from Dick and how much is their own speculation I have no idea.

https://www.deviantart.com/quantumbranching/art/The-Grasshopper-Lies-Heavy-523255247

Offline starviking

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 07:06:00 pm »

One easy way to get a Soviet Europe: Send Deadpool back in time to whack Baby Hitler. No Hitler, no Nazis (as a meaningful, successful force in politics). No Nazis, the German Communists (may) win hearts and minds and elections. Germany goes commie, you'll either have Commie Germany tangling with Commie Russia, or you'll have Commie Germany absorbed into the USSR. Either way, it's bad for Europe, and by extension the rest of the world. Maybe the USA goes commie after the Depression, in which case humanity is pretty well doomed. Or the USA and Commie Europe *eventually* get into a shooting match, but chances are without nukes. This would be a meatgrinder far beyond both WWI and WWII. So... hurray for Hitler, I guess?

Which was kinda like the backstory(?) for Norman Spinrad's "The Iron Dream" - a book written by Hitler after he emigrates to the States after WWI. The world in which the book is "written" has the Soviets controlling a large swathe of the world.

Offline Graham1973

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 09:41:23 pm »
"Fat, depressed and alcoholic officer" is a realistic description for someone who suffers from combat stress. A high ranking officer from a triomphant empire obsessed with racial supremacy can't be nothing but handsome.

About the Japanese fleet entering San Francisco, it can be seen interesting details in the carrier: shape of the flight deck and the jets of unknown identity. The Yamato class and the cruisers, however,  show no modernizations like an enhanced electronics suite. Anyway, the artists have made a nice and realistic job. Updated Yamato class, angled deck Taiho or post Taiho classes, USN fighters profiles disguised in Kaigun markings: recreating hardware for that alternative reality could be a topic for our friends from whatifmodelers. BTW, does anyone the year where the action takes place?

I've seen the trailer many times and I feel impressed. The nuclear test is disturbing.

The PKD novel is set in 1962. Watching the trailer (My current bandwidth prevents me from watching the series itself, so I'm hoping it will be released in an offline form.) I get the feeling that there are a couple of other stories mixed in there as well, 'Sam Hall' a short story by Poul Anderson and James Hogan's 'The Proteus Operation'.

As to the nuclear test, well the choice of lyrics didn't help. I will also add as a student of such things, Monument Valley is the wrong place. Everyone who carried out atmospheric nuclear testing (America, Soviet Russia, United Kingdom, France China (Peoples Republic)) all picked locations that had wide uninterrupted views in all directions from ground zero, as this shot of the American Fizeau test shows:

Monument Valley does not to my knowledge provide that (It's still an impressive piece of CGI work.).

Offline Antonio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 01:18:44 am »
Graham,

Many thanks for the references!

Offline fightingirish

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 02:09:59 am »
The Dornier Do 31 is shown in Season 3, Episode 10.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:17:20 am by fightingirish »
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 02:17:10 am »
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline Graham1973

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 06:32:49 am »
Interesting, I see they even got the table covering right, if I remember Kubrick wanted it to look like a poker table in Dr Strangelove.

Of course the first time I saw it in color was thanks to the band Muse.

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 12:13:42 am »
That SST scene play at Tempelhof airport

The poor Inhabitants of Berlin, they got Airport with noisy SST middle of City...
For there runways the must have demolish allot residential area in Tempelhof and NeuKölln...
I love Strange Technology

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 03:58:35 pm »
Interestingly, it's implied that the SST engines are turborockets, or possibly turboramjets.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline Graham1973

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 04:13:50 am »
A compilation of scenes from Series three featuring that Yamato Class Battleship, the CGI people did a nice job on her.

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 01:31:24 pm »
now that hit me like a surprise

more on Atlantropa

I love Strange Technology

Offline fightingirish

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 02:41:52 pm »
You can play a mission on that bridge/dam between Africa and Gibraltar in the first-person shooter video game Wolfenstein: The New Order from 2014.
Slán,
fightingirish

Slán ist an Irish Gaelic word for Goodbye.  :)

McDonnell Douglas Model 225 painting by "The Artist" Michael Burke (Tavush) 2018, found at deviantart.com and at Secret Projects Forum » Research Topics » User Artwork » McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

Offline carmelo

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 07:35:14 am »
It is worth remembering that Philip K Dick's book has our reality as the alternative to the nightmare of a Nazi and Imperial Japan partition of the USA.

This is impossible!
USA could not be conquered by Germany and Japan.
The best plausible scenario for third Reich is the "Fatherland scenario".
Germany win in Europe,USA defeat Japan and start a cold war between these two blocks.

Offline GWrecks

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • Big Wingy Thingy
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 08:24:13 pm »

This is impossible!
USA could not be conquered by Germany and Japan.
The best plausible scenario for third Reich is the "Fatherland scenario".
Germany win in Europe,USA defeat Japan and start a cold war between these two blocks.

Out of curiosity, would WWII have ended in at least Germany's favor if they made nuclear weapons operational first?

I remember someone on...a very politically incorrect imageboard...stating that it's a miracle the USA didn't tell everyone after they nuked Japan "Hey guys, I got nukes, everyone bow down to me or else!", because if they did the world would have belonged to them and them only, never mind their former allies in Britain and the USSR. I doubt Germany would've been that conservative after vaporizing a city with such a newfangled weapon.

(For the record, I don't go there anymore and don't plan to ever again)
↑↑↓↓LRLRBA