Boeing 815 Medium Transport

RAP

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Another one from my files. Mockup dated 10/6/58 and marked BWA-209. I thought BWA might indicates Boeing Washington and 209 was the model number. In checking the designations section of this site I found a Boeing Model 209 identified as the US Navy XP2B-1 but it was cancelled and the date appears too early. Thoughts?

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 487
Ok this is frustrating. I have seen that aircraft before but for the life of me cannot remember the details....arrrrgggghhhh!!!!!! :mad:

Interesting, thanks! Curious though, in the Boeing a/c designation thread Skyblazer lists this model as - Boeing Model 815 Tactical transport project with four Rolls-Royce Dart 7 engines (1958). It seems this mockup would have only 2 engines?

Re: Boeing 815 Medium Transport

AFAIK, the Boeing 815 always was a twin-engine transport, as shown in this full-size mockup.

Another one from my files. Mockup dated 10/6/58 and marked BWA-209. I thought BWA might indicates Boeing Washington and 209 was the model number. In checking the designations section of this site I found a Boeing Model 209 identified as the US Navy XP2B-1 but it was cancelled and the date appears too early. Thoughts?
I have a copy of the book American Secret Projects 2: Airlifters 1941-1961, and Chapter 9 of that volume provides a 3-view drawing and photos of a full-scale mockup and desktop model of the Boeing Model 815 on pages 268 and 269. Thankfully, someone corrected you on what the W in BWA-209 stood for, b/c Boeing had a factory in Wichita.

I have a copy of the book American Secret Projects 2: Airlifters 1941-1961, and Chapter 9 of that volume provides a 3-view drawing and photos of a full-scale mockup and desktop model of the Boeing Model 815 on pages 268 and 269. Thankfully, someone corrected you on what the W in BWA-209 stood for, b/c Boeing had a factory in Wichita.
So would you post the drawing and photos here? Please.
Piotr

Piotr
No, please don’t. Buy the book.

Piotr

FWIW, the BWA number on the photograph appears to be a photo [color] negative number. The precise meaning remains obscure and will probably remain so until a copy of Boeing Wichita Photo Lab Procedures shows up on eBay in the distant future. Hopefully Hesham will see it!