Register here

Author Topic: VTOL On Demand Mobility  (Read 18322 times)

Offline galgot

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: Bell ultra light taxi
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 04:09:33 am »
 At Bell PR offices some time ago :
"- Boss, I have this genius idea to make a buzz,
We present a helicopter WITHOUT PROPELLERS" , imagine that !!!"
"- Bill, you just got promoted !"

Offline fredymac

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 03:15:50 pm »
Bell's hybrid electric urban taxi may actually include a tilt rotor configuration (50 second mark) while Airbus is going the quadcopter route.

Offline TomS

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2018, 07:24:48 am »
Not just tiltrotor.  It looks to be a pretty weird multi-rotor configuration -- the foreground aircraft appear to have stowed rotors on the mid-wing pods and along the tailboom. On the aircraft taking off in the background, those rotors seem to be spinning. 

Offline hesham

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 07:33:30 am »
Nice beast,I never saw it.

Offline Moose

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 07:54:13 am »
That Airbus design is basically DARPA's Ares, Son of Transformer, in civilian taxi form.

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 10:28:33 am »
Bell's hybrid electric urban taxi may actually include a tilt rotor configuration (50 second mark) while Airbus is going the quadcopter route.

That's actually Uber's design. Bell hasn't unveiled its concept.
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm

Offline LowObservable

Re: VTOL On Demand Mobility
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2018, 05:24:01 am »
Has anyone else noticed that in robo-flying-taxi world, the weather is always perfect?

For the last few weeks, where I live, there hasn't been much decent visibility down at the level where these things are going to fly, except for the day of 50-knot winds. Call me a gutless ***** if you want, but the idea of riding a pilotless vehicle through cloud and heavy rain and ascending/descending through building heights, and knowing there's a bunch of other things whizzing around in the same airspace, sounds less than fun.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2018, 07:34:35 am »
Has anyone else noticed that in robo-flying-taxi world, the weather is always perfect?

Note that a *lot* of these things seem to be funded by/aimed at Abu Dhabi and similar. The likelihood of encountering rain or snow is pretty minimal... but I suspect sand and dust will do entertaining things to the system.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2018, 10:21:26 am »
Note that a *lot* of these things seem to be funded by/aimed at Abu Dhabi and similar. The likelihood of encountering rain or snow is pretty minimal... but I suspect sand and dust will do entertaining things to the system.

Funnily enough though, my first time in Dubai it was raining quite heavily... ;D :o

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2018, 10:24:42 am »

Funnily enough though, my first time in Dubai it was raining quite heavily... ;D :o

Wait till the atomic firesharknados go storming through town.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Foo Fighter

• I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2018, 04:42:32 pm »
During Op Granby or as most folk called it Desert shied/storm there was some pretty extreme weather.  Hailstones the size of golf balls and bigger that smashed trailer accommodation used by some of us.

Offline Bgray

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2018, 08:41:25 pm »
The technology looks very pretty--but how much work has been done on regulations for flying? I mean, there are 13,587 yellow cabs, not counting uber and other such services.  In order to make the tiniest dent in traffic, to sell it as it's being sold, as transport for normal peole instead of hte ultra wealthy, you're likely talking several thousand of these flyers over any given major metropolitan area.

So it seems to me that building a flyable model is, while important, not the greatest challenge here.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2018, 10:50:50 pm »

For the last few weeks, where I live, there hasn't been much decent visibility down at the level where these things are going to fly, except for the day of 50-knot winds. Call me a gutless ***** if you want, but the idea of riding a pilotless vehicle through cloud and heavy rain and ascending/descending through building heights, and knowing there's a bunch of other things whizzing around in the same airspace, sounds less than fun.

Ultimately your visibility is meaningless - the premise is total automation, centrally monitored and controlled. You don't have any need to see anything as you don't get control anyway.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline yasotay

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2018, 06:02:12 am »
No doubt the initial efforts will be "day/VFR".  If demand dictates the investment will show up to continue to refine the less optimum flying conditions.  I imagine if it does not become a red herring it will follow the normal investment strategies.

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2018, 08:20:31 am »
The weather issue is a problem. I imagine hail would wreak havoc with fans and propellers.
However, most of these concepts are short range, with flight times in the order of 15-20 minutes. You can reasonably predict what the weather will be like by the time you're in flight or ready to land. If it is turning really ugly, you simply don't takeoff and find some alternate ground transportation. Not ideal, but not a safety issue either.
With the longer-ranged machines, it's a different story, but i guess no different than what GA aircraft deal with.
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm