Register here

Author Topic: XingKong-2 (XK-2) Chinese hypersonic waverider vehicle  (Read 3233 times)

Offline antigravite

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
XingKong-2 (XK-2) Chinese hypersonic waverider vehicle
« on: September 30, 2016, 01:16:53 am »
Hi,

I am looking for any information on a Chinese waverider "project" very recently identified in the technical literature as "XK-2".

This code-name / identifiyer means there is/was an XK-1 something on which I have / there are even less clues.
To this day, I do not know if this XK-2 thinggy is purely academic-like stuff, i.e. a mere configuration name with internal reference. Or if it is something (or part of something) way bigger.

This mysterious XK-2 project originates from the China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics (CAAA), formerly known as the Beijing Institute of Aerodynamics (BIA) or the 701st Institute of China Aerospace Science and Technology. And quite interestingly, the 701 institute was studying…

To the best of my knowledge, the very first piece of information on the XK-2 was openly published in August 2016, although there is a need to do more homework scouting Chinese information system databases. And I have not had enough time to do this homework yet, Chinese hypersonics being a very distant pet project (really).

A.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:17:03 am by antigravite »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
L e t   b o l d s   b e   l i g h t
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Offline bobbymike

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bobbymike

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
Re: China hypersonic XK-2 waverider vehicle
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:13:06 am »
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2158524/chinas-hypersonic-aircraft-starry-sky-2-could-be-used

China has successfully tested a new hypersonic aircraft that could one day be used to carry missiles at such speeds as to make them unstoppable, according to scientists involved in the project.

The Starry Sky-2, which is an experimental design known as waverider – for its ability to ride on the shock waves it generates – completed its first test flight on Friday at an undisclosed location in northwest China, the China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics said in a statement issued on Monday.

The aircraft was carried into space by a multistage rocket before separating and relying on its own power. During independent flight it conducted extreme turning manoeuvres, maintained velocities above Mach 5.5 (five-and-a-half times the speed of sound) for more than 400 seconds, and achieved a top speed of Mach 6, or 7,344km/h (4,563mph) the statement said.

On completion of the flight, which was deemed a “huge success”, the aircraft landed in a designated target zone, it said.

The entire flight was controlled and provided effective test data, while the aircraft itself was recovered “whole”, the statement said.

“The test … has laid a solid technological foundation for engineering applications of the waverider design,” it said.

Although still at the experimental stage, once fully developed, waveriders could be used to carry warheads capable of penetrating any anti-missile defence system currently available.

[snip]
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 09:21:08 am »
"On completion of the flight, which was deemed a “huge success”, the aircraft landed in a designated target zone, it said.

The entire flight was controlled and provided effective test data, while the aircraft itself was recovered “whole”, the statement said."

That's significant.  :o
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline TomcatViP

• Hellcat
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 09:56:12 am »
Splash-down?

Offline sferrin

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 10:12:59 am »
Splash-down?

Or maybe snag out of air with helicopter or aircraft.

Offline DrRansom

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 12:13:17 pm »
Recovering the airframe is a huge deal. Especially if it cruised and maneuvered at hypersonic speeds.

Offline XP67_Moonbat

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:24:41 pm by XP67_Moonbat »
In God we trust, all others we monitor. :-p

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 04:07:45 am »
I wonder if they used a Rogallo wing for recovery, like those the Americans (example) and the Germans worked on, perhaps coupled with a airbag or even an air cushion landing system. Of course they would then need a ballute or other type of speed brake to slow down the vehicle to a speed range where such a wing could safely be deployed.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Moose

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 04:10:52 pm »
400 seconds powered hypersonic flight is pretty remarkable for such a small vehicle. Especially one with enough of a guidance system and control surfaces for "extreme maneuvering."

Offline sferrin

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 04:19:37 pm »
400 seconds powered hypersonic flight is pretty remarkable for such a small vehicle. Especially one with enough of a guidance system and control surfaces for "extreme maneuvering."

Certainly puts the abandoned X-51 to shame.

Offline djfawcett

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 05:00:29 pm »
This one of those times I just want to call BS

Offline DrRansom

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 06:28:25 pm »

I don't think this is a powered test. At least everything in the article says an unpowered waverider.