Register here

Author Topic: AWG-10 WCS and APG-59 Radar  (Read 10711 times)

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
Re: AWG-10 WCS and APG-59 Radar
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 02:14:09 pm »
AN/APG-60 (AWG-10) Specs (UK version I think?)

Radar provides following information

1) Target relative bearing
2) Target range
3) Closing velocity
4) Attack info for missiles
5) Radar Ground map
6) Steering Info for Terrain Clearance

Frequency Characteristics: 9,600 - 9,900 Mc/s and simultaneously 10,050 -10,250 Mc/s (main + CW)

Peak RF power delivered to antenna is between 1 -2.6 kW with a nominal value of 1.65 kWfor search or track conditions using the pulse widths and pulse repetition frequencies specified below over 9,600-9,900 M/c

PRFs - PD Mode
300,266 +-15pps
300,830 +-15pps
301,614 +-15pps
303,320 +-15pps
309,609 +-15pps

Pulse Modes
During opertion in the Pulse & Map modes the following PRFs jittered a nominal +-10% are used in the ranges listed.

10 miles - 50 miles : 1000pps
100 miles - 600pps
200 miles  - 300pps

During TERR & A-G modes PRF is 3000 pps (jittered a nominal +-10%)
In V.I. mode the PRF is 1000 pps (jittered 10%)

Pulsewidths

PD Mode 1.45 +- 0.1 microsec

Pulse Modes
Pulse: 40 microsec (except 0.65 microsec in 10 mile range
HI MAP 40 microsec
LO MAP 40 microsec (except 0.65 microsecin 10 & 25 mile range)
TERR  0.20 microsec +- 0.07 microsec monopulse
A-G 0.20 microsec +- 0.07 microsec monopulse
VIS. IDENT 0.65 microsec +-0. microsec

Long pulse is transmitted as a 40 microsec pulse, linearly, frequency modulated by the pulse expansio circuits.

Radar TX has fllowing modulation characteristics

a) FM ranging - frequency modulated at 85 cps +-0.25% with a deviation of 2Kc +- 3% when tracking in a PD mode.
b) Spurious Modulation - transmitter undesired sidebands are at least 70dB beow carrier level from 1750 cps to 135 Kc.

CW Illumination
a) Average CW power to antenna is between 123-350 watts with a nominal value of 200 watts: within the frequency band 10,050-10,250 Mc/s

Modulation

CW modulation has the following charateristics

i) Coding. FM at a 310 +- 0.25K/c rate. 0.22 +- 30% modulation index as a coding signal to identify the illuminating source for  the AIM-7E missiles.
ii) Range Re-cycle. The CW RF Carrier is FM modulated at an 85 +- 2.0 cps rate. 10K/c +- 30% deviation or 5 K/c +- 30% deviation depending on the type of missile in use. This signal is used as the range re-cycle information for the CW target seeker.
iii) Re-cycle Reference. The coding signal (i) above is amplitude modulatd 20% +- 3% at an 85 cps rate, and lags the range re-cycle signal (ii) above by 90 deg +- 15 deg. This signal is used as a re-cycle reference signal for the CW target seeker.

RX Noise Figure

The overall noise figue measured at the input to the waveguide assembly is not greater than 7.5dB over 9600-9900 M/c and will nominally be 6.0 dB

Antenna Gain

a) AI Modes: 35 dB over the frequency range 9600-9900M/c compared to an isotropic radiator. Adjacent sidelobes are at least 21 dB beow the amplitude of the main lobe.

Auxiliary channel antenna gain at least 15.5 dB. For reception in the TERR mode the sum channel has the same characteristics, and the difference channel has a gain of at least 28.4 dB.

b) Map Modes: Antenna beam is spoiled in elevation to provide Cos squared pattern.

c) CW Illumination Mode: At a frequency of  10,125 +- M/cs the sidelobe levl is higher than -6dB within 10 deg of boresight and higher than 12dB at angles from 10 deg to 35 deg from boresight.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

• Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2007, 03:09:28 pm »
a) Search Displays

(i) PD Mode - VEL and AA submodes
Vertical axis velocity and horizontal axis azimuth. Symbols: Horizon Line, Elevation Strobe, Acquisition Symbol, Velocity Target Symbol.

(ii) PD Mode - PR submode
Vertical axis range and horizontal displacement azimuth. Symbols: Horizon Line, Elevation Strobe, Acquisition Symbol, Range Target Symbol.

(iii) Pulse Mode
Vertical axis range and horizontal displacement azimuth. Symbols: Horizon Line, Elevation Strobe, Acquisition Symbol, Target Video

(iv) HI MAP / LO MAP
Offset centre PPI display, having radial distance from indicator baseline centre proportional to range, and angular position proportional to azimuth position.  Symbols: Horizon Line, Elevation Strobe, Target Video. Additionally shows Lateral Offset Cursor and Bombing Range Strobe at 10 and 25 mile  ranges.

(v) A.G. Mode
Stationary horizontal position having vertical displacement proportional to range. Symbols: Horizon Line, Elevation Strobe, Range Strobe, Target Video.

(vi) TERR Mode
Offset centre PPI display. Symbols: Horizon Line, Elevation Strobe, Target Video, TERR Intensification

(vii) VI Mode
Range vs azimuth display. Symbols: Horizon Line, Elevation Strobe, Acqusition Symbol, Target Video.

b) Acquisition Displays

i) PD Mode - VEL Submode: scan stopped at the target selected by acquisition symbol.
ii) PD Mode - AA Submode: scan stopped at the target selected automatically.
iii) PD Mode - PR Submode: as a) i) above
iv) Pulse Modes - range versus azimuth B type with the scan stopped at the target selected by the acquisition symbol.
v) HI/LO MAP modes - PPI display with scan stopped as an angle commanded by the lateral position of control antenna.
vi) Range versus azimuth B type display with the scan stopped at the targe selected by the acquistion symbol.

c) Track Displays

(i) PD Mode - a range versus azimuth display wit an expanded velocity sweep along the left edge of the display. Adds Allowable Steering Error (ASE) circle, Steering error dot, R min, R a, Range Target Symbol, Range Rate Circle, Range Rate Gap to display.
ii) Pulse, LO MAP HI MAP Modes - a range versus azimuth B type display having dithered sweep with Allowable Steering Error (ASE) circle, R min, R a, Range Target Symbol, Range Rate Circle, Range Rate Gap added to display.
iii) AG Mode - As AG Search display with added range rate circle
iv) J (AOJ only) displays similar to the track displays in the pulse MAP modes with range circle removed.
v) VIS IDENT mode - range versus B type display  having dithered sweep, and added symbols for Allowable Steering Error (ASE) circle, Steering error dot, Range Rate Circle, Range Rate Gap, Range Strobe

Performnce Characteristics
Search

i) Wide and orientable narrow scans provided. Either single, two or three bar scan with retraced centre bar. These are stabilised for roll and pitch. An additional scan is provided for TERR mode.
ii) Minumum detectable signal (Pulse Mode) - capable of displaying a -105dBm peak target signal as applied to the antenna terminals.
iii) Minimum detectable signal (PD Mode - AA/PR Submode)
Automatically detects signals of 5dB S/N ratio closing at velocity from 120-1800 knots greater than the host aircraft velocity. This peformance obtained in the presence of an unwanted signal of 65dB S/N ratio at the velocity of the host aircraft (noise in a 550 cps bandwidth)
iv) Minimum Discernable Signal (PD Mode - VEL Submode)
Capable of displaying a -138 dBm target signal for targets closing at velocities from 120-1800 knots geater than the velocity of the host aircraft. This is about 3dB less than the minimum detectable signal of the previous paragraph.

b) Tracking operation
 Satisfactory tracking will be accomplished under the following conditions at S/N ratios greater than 6dB.
i) Capable of tracking a target within view angle of 120 deg azimuth & elevation.
ii) Capability of tracking target with angular line of site rate of 15 deg/sec
iii) Capability of tracking targets to at least 50 miles in pulse and 100 miles in Pulse Doppler modes.
iv) Capable of acquiring & tracking a targe closing up to 3190 knots and opening at 290 knots.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 03:11:28 pm by overscan »

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline jojo57

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2007, 02:34:52 am »
Hello everybody,

I'm working on a Phantom cockpit for Free Falvon 4, and I would need high res flight manual cockpit drawing. I need to be  able to read every writing on the diffenrent panel.

The prefered version is the F-4E, but others are welcome.

PS: I already found some good links on internet, and flight manual cockpit drawing, but they are too small.

Thanks

Offline roberto_yeager

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 12:06:11 am »
Im looking for some info about a projected modernization from Northrop for the F-4 Phantom... It was a IRST in front of the cockpit (a la F-102)... it was in the 80's

Thanks in advance...

1Saludo

Offline oeno

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 11:22:39 pm »
HI folks!

I`m glad to join this hi tech club,just keep up with good work.

I`d like to ask a qustion about AN/APQ-120,the picture is from his radar manual.

1.Can someone explane HOJ radar mode?
2.What high jitterd in the PRF column means?

3.What do you think about this comparasion of the AN/APQ-120 and Cапфир-23д-III    source ariwar.ru?

• Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 12:17:31 am »
HOJ should be home-on-jam mode for countering ECM.

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline oeno

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 11:16:16 pm »
HOJ is passive operating mode for missile guidance.It is an essential adjunct for semiactive and active systems to counter noise jamming,but I`m not sure what it has to do with the radar.I think it`s something like Jam Angle Track (JAT) in addition to PDSTT of AWG9 function that can provide range, bearing, and speed information for targets that are utilizing on-board jamming equipment.

Offline Wolfhound

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 01:23:00 pm »
Interesting topic :).  I didn't realise so much information was avaliable on the F-4's various radars, it makes for very good reading.

Offline Gorka L Martinez Mezo

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 01:13:37 pm »
3.What do you think about this comparasion of the AN/APQ-120 and Cапфир-23д-III    source ariwar.ru?

According to the info I have available on the Cyrano IV, the data on the chart seems reasonably accurate (don`t know which sources they used). No idea on the results for the APQ-120, but the Sapheer 23 surely was a powerful radar set ofr its age.....

Offline Eagle2009

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 11:53:02 pm »
I feel a bit foolish for having to ask this, but I honestly can't make heads or tails of that chart. Could someone explain it please?

Offline Arjen

• It's turtles all the way down
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2011, 02:17:21 am »
It looks like maximum detection range plotted against altitude of target.
From left to right:
1) Cyrano IV detection of MiG-23M
2) Saphir-23D-III detection of Mirage F.1
3) AN/APQ-120 detection of MiG-23M
4) Saphir-2[3]D-III detection of F-4E

<edit>Vertical axis (H): altitude in kilometres, horizontal axis (D): range in kilometres</edit>
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 03:12:41 am by Arjen »

Offline stealthflanker

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 06:21:15 pm »
HI folks!

2.What high jitterd in the PRF column means?

Jittered or Staggered PRF there means that the PRF (Pulse Repetition Frequency) is changed during transmission in some intervals (say ..60 Khz 1st pulse burst ..then changed to 70 Khz in 2nd pulse burst).

This change is to allow detection of target that its velocity falls in the "blind region" of the RADAR's velocity respond (perhaps for example.. airplanes that moves slow or maneuvering).

For that "highly jittered" PRF however i'm not really sure but i think in those modes using that PRF setting in your table , the PRF are changed quite rapidly to satisfy the detection requirement .

• Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 11:45:05 pm »
From McDonnell-Douglas F-4K Report - thanks to Ron @ http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com.

Note that the 4th diagram seems to be Lookdown performance against a Blinder but is labelled as a MiG like the preceding image. The diagrams are especially interesting in conveying just how much typical radar ranges vary with aspect ratio.

- Sir Sydney Camm

• Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2018, 12:40:24 am »

- Sir Sydney Camm