Register here

Author Topic: Fictional Warships - Novels  (Read 65176 times)

Offline Graham1973

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Fictional Warships - Novels
« Reply #390 on: November 08, 2017, 04:11:11 am »
Another of those 'Self-published on Amazon' thrillers...

Richard Smith, The Fin Chasers, 2017

United States

Coast Guard

Unnamed (MLB-???) (Unofficial name: 'Fin Chaser')
47ft (14m) Motor Life Boat (Modified)
Details as per the real ships.
Ship has been converted into a research vessel, has an observation tower similar to those on sports fishing vessels fitted, along with a bowsprit, a cradle holding a 16ft (4.9m) long minisub (Named: Jaws, 2 crew, battery powered, fitted with 3x Mares Spearguns) and launching positions for two unmanned, remote controlled minisubs.
Armament is mostly hand held (6 x M4 Carbines, M9 Pistols, 6 Mares Spearguns), an M240B MG is carried but not mounted.
Note: While this ship retains it's rescue capability, it's current assignment is shark research along the US Gulf Coast.

USCGC Casco
Cutter, unspecified class
No other details provided.
Note: Also referred to as a 'Heavy Cruiser'. The name was last used on the Casco Class Cutter USCGC Casco (WHEC-370) a former US Navy Barnegat Class Seaplane Tender that was transferred to the Coast Guard in 1949 and decommissioned in 1969.

Air Force

Neptune
Air transportable mini-sub
Length: 40ft (12.2m)
Manta-ray shaped ('Wings' fold upward over the body to allow air transport.)
Crew: 3 (Pilot, Weapons Systems Officer, 'Flight' Engineer.) + 1 passenger
Exact dimensions are not given but when the wings are folded it can be carried inside a C-130 Hercules which has been modified to allow it to land/take off from water.
Note: Stated to have been designed and built by the United States Air Force for the purpose of making covert retrievals without having to ask the US Navy to do it. Described as being as maneuverable as a "...very, very, slow F-16."
Armament includes laser weapons of an unspecified type. 4x J-65 Armour Piercing Torpedoes (Fictional?), 2x R-40 Heat Seeking Missiles (Fictional?)
Fitted with manipulator arms (Mounted internally, have to be extended to use.)

Non State

Unnamed (ex-Sahand)
Moudge Class Frigate
Details as per the real ships
Note: Supplied to the Islamic State by Iran. stated to have been smuggled to Cuba for handover.
Carries a minisub of unspecified type.

Plot summary: The year is 2017, something has been driving sharks off the US Gulf Coast into a frenzy.

Note: This is a pretty silly story, thankfully the author recognizes it at one point having a character comment that the USAF submarine "...looks like it came out of one of Clive Cussler's latest novels...".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:22:34 am by Graham1973 »

Offline Foo Fighter

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #391 on: November 10, 2017, 11:58:24 am »
I do not mean to be rude, but, what is the real purpose of this thread which seem to rehash ships mentioned in fictional stories?  I just cannot see the point.

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #392 on: November 12, 2017, 05:49:19 am »
Well, you're right in a way, this thread is better suited to this section here.
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline Foo Fighter

« Reply #393 on: November 12, 2017, 10:34:22 am »
Fair point but if there us to be a reason to the subject there could be some assessment of the plot to propaganda or factually based scenario's being wargamed to adjust tactics/doctrine and theory.  This does not seem to do any of that as far as I can see.  Perhaps a little more debate about the topic might see us learn a little more about the situations these stories are set to, background wise.

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #394 on: November 12, 2017, 10:19:04 pm »
As the title implies, this section here was started to discuss or at least point to
alternative historical scenarios, or perceptions of the future, often perceptions
from many years ago. The themes are as widespread, as are the interests of our members,
and no, it's not an indispensable theme for this forum, I think. But the Bar is neither !
Apart from our main theme aviation, naval themes obviously are of interest to quite a lot
of people here, so why not list novels about such themes ? Feel free to post a similar
list in a thread like "Aviation Novels", pointing to aircraft, that are either fictional,
or based on real ones. 
And as a point more related to our serious matter, such a thread can be used in a similar
way to our blacklist here https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26358.0.html  ,
for identifying or tracing fakes or faulty mentions.
If somebody is interested in more additional information, I think, he should feel free to
elaborate and tell them to all of us !

Offline starviking

« Reply #395 on: November 12, 2017, 11:34:04 pm »
As the title implies, this section here was started to discuss or at least point to
alternative historical scenarios, or perceptions of the future, often perceptions
from many years ago. The themes are as widespread, as are the interests of our members,
and no, it's not an indispensable theme for this forum, I think. But the Bar is neither !
Apart from our main theme aviation, naval themes obviously are of interest to quite a lot
of people here, so why not list novels about such themes ? Feel free to post a similar
list in a thread like "Aviation Novels", pointing to aircraft, that are either fictional,
or based on real ones. 
And as a point more related to our serious matter, such a thread can be used in a similar
way to our blacklist here https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26358.0.html  ,
for identifying or tracing fakes or faulty mentions.
If somebody is interested in more additional information, I think, he should feel free to
elaborate and tell them to all of us !

And this thread is also useful in a historic sense, as it shows how authors saw ships being used, and how they thought they would evolve.

Online Hood

« Reply #396 on: November 13, 2017, 06:30:03 am »
This thread is a continuation of a similar thread on the defunct Warship Discussion 3.0 forum.

It's purpose is several fold:
Like the aviation blacklist, to clearly mark ships some may think are real or may be confused with real ships.
To catalogue the fictional ships portrayed in books, film and TV.
To catalogue naval fiction more broadly.
To display some of the varied artwork on the book covers, especially those from an age gone by when artists actually painted scenes rather than dodgy 3D graphics.
To examine themes of the books published and the plots; for example its clear that most Cold War literature focuses on submarines.
To analyse how authors use naming conventions (or otherwise!).
To be a source for AH ideas and possible artwork ideas.

I'll admit there is a lot of background work between Graham and myself to decipher author's intentions, especially when vague ideas are portrayed.
The range of novels cover everything from late 19th century invasion literature, early 20th century works, wartime propaganda novels (both world wars), children's literature from the early 20th century, action comics, Cold War era novels (1950s onwards), post Cold War scenarios (US vs. China or Iran seem popular themes), techno-thrillers (from early 20th century to today), film adaptations of books. 
We don't tend to touch anime however, its a broad area on its own with its own challenges.

If people would be interested in more of the details of how we piece together these items and more analysis on the storylines then we can provide that.
I would echo Starviking's comment, some of the authors writing in the 1890s and even 1910s had some quite interesting concepts of what the future might hold. Cold War novels reflect the fears of the time, some mirror real-world events and others are speculative.

Offline Foo Fighter

« Reply #397 on: November 13, 2017, 01:28:39 pm »
A lot more discussion at the moment so hopefully my question, from being taken as insulting, may provoke more debate on this thread.

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #398 on: November 13, 2017, 10:06:13 pm »
Debating the content of a book, or the way things are represented, or maybe how the typical enemies
changed over the years is ok, I think.
The reasons, why this thread is here and how it should be understood were cited in the last posts, so I can
see no need to debate this any further.

Offline Foo Fighter

« Reply #399 on: November 14, 2017, 08:19:10 am »
Not suggesting that any debate should be had about why the thread is extant.  All I was asking about was what it was intended to achieve.  Hopefully more debate on the posts content will enable more to be achieved FROM posting here.  Hopefully we will all learn a bit.