Register here

Author Topic: M1 Abrams MBT Replacement  (Read 99944 times)

Offline Foo Fighter

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Re: M1 Abrams MBT Replacement
« Reply #315 on: November 21, 2018, 03:32:29 am »
I have seen this but frankly have my doubts.  Perhaps it is the L60 ?upgrades? of a similar name for Chieftain.  That was a raging success, not.

Offline jsport

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #316 on: March 01, 2019, 08:09:19 pm »
Either a 120mm or 105mm ETC Buford should be a consideration for Mobile Protected Firepower (MPF) and beyond.

Offline jsport

« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2019, 04:31:23 pm »
Anyone know what this pic depicts? Appears to be two diamond shaped arrays off each side of the turret front and large bulbous turret appearing not to be satcom but more like a DEW.
PS: this not a photobash.

Offline MihoshiK

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #318 on: March 03, 2019, 01:50:13 am »
Anyone know what this pic depicts? Appears to be two diamond shaped arrays off each side of the turret front and large bulbous turret appearing not to be satcom but more like a DEW.
Probably some picture  taken from a 2000 era powerpoint slide. My guess would be the arrays are radars for the defense suite (It's also got some kind of trainable launchers near the sides of the turret) and the bulb would indeed be some kind of laser.

I found a slightly higher resolution pic with google image search.

Offline jsport

« Reply #319 on: March 03, 2019, 09:07:14 am »
Probably some picture  taken from a 2000 era powerpoint slide. My guess would be the arrays are radars for the defense suite (It's also got some kind of trainable launchers near the sides of the turret) and the bulb would indeed be some kind of laser.

I found a slightly higher resolution pic with google image search.
Thank you for the find Mihoshik.

A 'Lightweight M1A3' (as depicted) certainly deserves a look as entirely new tank seems a bridge too far minus some political changes.

Offline Foo Fighter

• I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #320 on: March 03, 2019, 11:34:59 am »
Perhaps not, the US President is all for promoting US home interests.  A replacement for the M1 from US industry would go a long way towards protecting jobs AND ensuring US troops retain an MBT close to the best at very least.  I hope they get it but, done properly.

Offline Void

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #321 on: March 03, 2019, 04:41:12 pm »

The bulb is the Common Medium Range EO/IR sensor that was intended for the FCS.

I don't know the history behind it, but what it shows is an Abrams kitted out with a whole bunch of electronic systems from the FCS including the aforementioned EO/IR, the MFRF radar/communication system and a bunch of other FCS comms.

Offline fredymac

« Reply #322 on: March 13, 2019, 06:34:26 am »
I figure the technology seen in this Raphael video will eventually make its way into future tanks.  It would be interesting to separate the main gun into a robotic carrier and aim/fire it remotely by paired crew vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Nhncg8dmU&feature=youtu.be